Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Extra tag in trunk
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Pilch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:13 pm    Post subject: Extra tag in trunk Reply with quote

Hi everyone.

I have a 1973 US spec VW Squareback, and I've discovered an ID tag in the front trunk, to the left of the VIN plate. It simply reads 11-5-30 with a circle that appears to have 29 inside it. I am struggling to upload a picture so I hope I've been descriptive enough for someone to let me (and my local club members) know what it means! Thank you so much in advance. G.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tag is painted over, right? It provides at least two interesting clues to your car when it was new. The 11-5 stands for the day when it was produced. The 11 is the 11th week of the calendar. The 5 is the 5th day of that week. Since your car is a 1973 model, the 11 corresponds to the 11th week of 1973, which is mid-March. The 5th day would be March 16.

Your car should have a black or silver perforated sticker on the driver's door post, indicating the full VIN as well as the production month. The label should show 3/73 or 03/73 as the production month which would confirm the trunk tag.

The 29 in a circle is VW's internal paint code color. I can't find your year under theSamba paint listings. But looking in the Beetle paint listings, 29 is for the color Lemon Yellow, paint code L11E for a 1971 color. The 1973 Squareback vehicle brochure shows a Texas Yellow, but does not show the color code. Is your car painted yellow?

The "30" is a factory-internal number for the running "job" that day as to the body. I've seen most of those plates usually have a 4-digit number there.
The Pilch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much for your reply! This information is really interesting! You are correct, my car is indeed yellow. I noticed a number 8 stamped sideways on the end of the tag, and Texas Yellow is VW paint number 8! Fantastic response, thank you so much!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: