Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rust in pan
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MeeferMadness
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:50 pm    Post subject: Rust in pan Reply with quote

I have just begun a restoration of a 1958 european sunroof car. The pan was sandblasted in the past which revealed some small rust holes around the battery area. My question is how to patch the holes. The entire rest of the pan is in great shape there is just the few smaller areas around the battery that are affected. I am reluctant to replace the entire pan half when the OG metal is mostly fine. Would just a battery pan section be best or is there a way to remedy just the areas around the rust holes?? I would like to retain as much original metal as I can. Need some advice so I can get this project rolling!
Thanks
Bruce
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AZ66Bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We filled in similar holes on the driver side with POR epoxy. Fills the holes well and can be sanded flush. Just happened to have some on hand from steering wheel repairs. I suppose one could weld the holes closed but I am not real confident in my welding skills and likely would have cause bigger holes since the sheet metal is so thin there.
drscope
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go old school and lead them up. if you do it correctly no one would be able to tell looking at from either side.
OLDveedubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy this and patch it!

Very Happy
"Perfection through inspection."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sportin-wood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get something like this:
http://www.mamotorworks.com/VW/product/battery-tray-rust-repair-panel-15-x-10-12_303321
"Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman. He's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it." --- Jeff Spicoli
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OLDveedubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sportin-wood wrote:
Get something like this:
http://www.mamotorworks.com/VW/product/battery-tray-rust-repair-panel-15-x-10-12_303321

Even better quality.
"Perfection through inspection."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
drscope
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I missing something here? I'm not seeing any big rot that would require putting in a battery tray or a pan half. All I see is some pitting that maybe has a few pin holes.
allsidius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AZ66Bug wrote:
We filled in similar holes on the driver side with POR epoxy. Fills the holes well and can be sanded flush. Just happened to have some on hand from steering wheel repairs. I suppose one could weld the holes closed but I am not real confident in my welding skills and likely would have cause bigger holes since the sheet metal is so thin there.

Ouch, no epoxy here! With the flexing of the metal as you step on it, it will inevitably crack and water will seep in. Lead filler is the only non-surgical operation that has any kind of credibility. But basically, I feel that grafting in a quality battery tray is the only fix worth considering. If there are pin-holes, the metal is really thin around them, so filling the area with lead is not going to do much good unless it is a real local rust spot. So you loose a kilo of OG steel, partially oxidised to rust, but you gain a structurally sound base of your car. As long as you don't skimp on the pattern parts, and above all avoid using a piece of sheet steel with no reinforcement ridges, it's going to be a perfectly acceptable maintenance job to your car.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
allsidius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AZ66Bug wrote:

Ouch, no epoxy here! With the flexing of the metal as you step on it, it will inevitably crack and water will seep in. Lead filler is the only non-surgical operation that has any kind of credibility. But basically, I feel that grafting in a quality battery tray is the only fix worth considering. If there are pin-holes, the metal is really thin around them, so filling the area with lead is not going to do much good unless it is a real local rust spot. So you loose a kilo of OG steel, partially oxidised to rust, but you gain a structurally sound base of your car. As long as you don't skimp on the pattern parts, and above all avoid using a piece of sheet steel with no reinforcement ridges, it's going to be a perfectly acceptable maintenance job to your car.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
MeeferMadness
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:43 am    Post subject: Pan section Reply with quote

After reading the feedback on my pan I decided to replace the area with new metal. The problem I am running into is that all of the battery only replacement metal is too short to take care of the rust closer to the seat. Is there anyone who sells a "half pan" or something that covers a little more area? If I was to hunt for a OG pan section what years would be a exact match?
Thanks
Bruce
AZ66Bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

quarter pans are available. We had a rusted out rear quarter on the passenger side and got a replacement from Mamotor. I think there are others that may carry it as well. Not too bad a job if you have a welder.
MeeferMadness
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 3:05 pm    Post subject: Quarter Pans Reply with quote

OK, I found several sources for quarter pans. Is there any suppliers that make an 18ga section?
Thanks
Bruce
AZ66Bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a good question. I know the stuff I got was thinner gauge - and that made welding it into the thicker gauge floor pans a bit of a challenge. I think the 20 gauge stuff is plenty strong for the need, but it did make welding for a complete novice more than a little challenging Crying or Very sad
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want 18 gauge, you have to buy a half pan (not very cheap, by the way)--and, either cut the back off it and use the back half of the half, or go ahead and install the entire right side.

I've never seen quarters that are anything other than 20 gauge. But I have heard that these--if welded correctly--are quite adequate.

Tim
MeeferMadness
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 8:49 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thanks for all the advice everyone. I am ordering the 20ga quarter pans Monday. Once those are done then it is on to either por15 or Masterseries sealing. Next on the list is a 1958 front beam; mine came with a 1960 beam.
Bruce
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: