Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

82 fuel in strange area.
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Boesen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:54 am    Post subject: 82 fuel in strange area. Reply with quote

Looking at a possible purchase of a 82 Westfalia. Looked at it one day and told seller I'd be back the next day to get it running better to test drive. The next day I returned with some sections of vacuum lines. Cleaned rotor and cap fouling up, replaced three small sections of the vacuum lines. Started it up and it ran good and let it idle for 10 minutes as it was 5 degrees outside before I drove it. Headed out for short test drive. Ran great for the 15 minutes I was out. Turn into owners alley two blocks down to head back. In the middle of the turn it bogs down briefly,then idle raises back up, it bogs again and dies. Try to start it again twice. I go around back to engine and smell fuel. Look into engine hatch. See no fuel but can smell it at first. While there I notice inside the oil pressure switch hole behind distributor it looks wet/pooling of liquid. Touched with finger and smell. Yes it's fuel.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Get it pushed back to the sellers house. No fuel in oil. I'm just guessing it's either bad fuel pressure regulator or bad injector. Any thoughts?
Overall condition of Van is great all around and under.Needs tires, new fuel lines, plugs, etc. Typical maintenance. It ran great up to this point.

Some more pics of it in my gallery.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Boesen&show_results=summary
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guess woudl be that fuel is leaking from the fuel line at the cold start valve into the oil pressure sender area.

But that is just a guess.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ask for some money off and tow it home where you can properly fix it. You will need to replace all the fuel lines anyhow as part of making it road worthy and safe. Looks like a nice van in the picture.
the joker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes tow it away ask for some $ back

Made that mistake with a ghia years back, got it runnin took it for a test ride, after the ride was going to put a down payment , and return with the cash

The guy was like, " now it's runnin I think I'll keep it" what a dick!

Learn a hard lesson in buying , but I was young Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: