Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ratwell for Mayor?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

udidwht wrote:
Lionhart94010 wrote:
Yep, that’s the man, the myth, the legend!

I knew he moved back to Canada, IMO Saanich would be lucky to get him as a Mayor! With his attention to detail, great reasoning power, dedication to do a good job at whatever he takes on as well as the balance he shows in the way he approaches his endeavors, I would not hesitate to vote for him if he ran for Mayor, Congress in my neck of the woods :0)

Too bad his web page has a certificate error when it comes up on my browser(IE9 on Vista), I hope it will not hurt him in the election :0(

I wouldn't go as far to say he's legend material. Not by a long shot. That's reserved for someone who's been at it far longer.

A legend is earned by works, not by longevity.
I used to be a legend, but that was in the past.
I outlived the legend and that's not a bad thing.

Aloha
tp
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
udidwht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom Powell wrote:
udidwht wrote:
Lionhart94010 wrote:

I knew he moved back to Canada, IMO Saanich would be lucky to get him as a Mayor! With his attention to detail, great reasoning power, dedication to do a good job at whatever he takes on as well as the balance he shows in the way he approaches his endeavors, I would not hesitate to vote for him if he ran for Mayor, Congress in my neck of the woods :0)

Too bad his web page has a certificate error when it comes up on my browser(IE9 on Vista), I hope it will not hurt him in the election :0(

I wouldn't go as far to say he's legend material. Not by a long shot. That's reserved for someone who's been at it far longer.

A legend is earned by works, not by longevity.
I used to be a legend, but that was in the past.
I outlived the legend and that's not a bad thing.

Aloha
tp

I'll have to disagree whole hardheartedly. Unless you consider giving the title 'Legend' to someone who merely copy's and pastes links for everyone to read a legend.
71mm Stroke
73 Web Cam w/Web solids
Dual 40mm IDF Webers - LM-2 - 47.5 idles/125 mains/190 air corr./F11 tubes/28mm Vents - Float height 10.45mm/Drop 32mm
Bosch SVDA w/Pertronix module (7.5 initial 28 total @ 3400rpm)
Bosch W8CC plugs
Pertronix Flamethrower 40K coil
S&S 4-1 w/Walker QP 17862
3 rib 002 Trans
185R14 Hankook tires
Lionhart94010
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

udidwht wrote:
Lionhart94010 wrote:

udidwht,

You are thinking to hard about what I said, I do not know anyone that has done a better job of presenting and making available reliable and useful information for T2 bus owners, I hope he is well known to thesamba members that own T2’s, for obvious reasons… If you can give us any links to a place(s), we can find as good or better information, that is as well organized and as useful as Richard has provided at www.ratwell.com, I and, other members would be very please to know about it/them.

The only thing that comes close is thesamba, however thesamba is in a different category; dynamic(not a static as Richard web page is now) thesamba has, and has had very talented contributors that give VW owners invaluable information… for T2 owners, put the two together and they are a fantastic resource!

One Definition of a Legend is:
1. very well known.
thesamba - www.ratwell.com - www.shoptalkforums.com/ - www.vw-resource.com - http://www.type2.com/
http://bobhooversblog.blogspot.com/ - www.aircooled.net/gnrlsite/resource/articles.htm
udidwht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lionhart94010 wrote:
udidwht wrote:
Lionhart94010 wrote:

udidwht,

You are thinking to hard about what I said, I do not know anyone that has done a better job of presenting and making available reliable and useful information for T2 bus owners, I hope he is well known to thesamba members that own T2’s, for obvious reasons… If you can give us any links to a place(s), we can find as good or better information, that is as well organized and as useful as Richard has provided at www.ratwell.com, I and, other members would be very please to know about it/them.

The only thing that comes close is thesamba, however thesamba is in a different category; dynamic(not a static as Richard web page is now) thesamba has, and has had very talented contributors that give VW owners invaluable information… for T2 owners, put the two together and they are a fantastic resource!

One Definition of a Legend is:
1. very well known.

Here are 2:

http://www.itinerant-air-cooled.com/

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/

Both have plethora of valuable info. You'd be surprised of how many out there that have never heard of Ratwell and they been in the VW community for a loooooong time.

Now is his site not useful? No. Where did I say that?
71mm Stroke
73 Web Cam w/Web solids
Dual 40mm IDF Webers - LM-2 - 47.5 idles/125 mains/190 air corr./F11 tubes/28mm Vents - Float height 10.45mm/Drop 32mm
Bosch SVDA w/Pertronix module (7.5 initial 28 total @ 3400rpm)
Bosch W8CC plugs
Pertronix Flamethrower 40K coil
S&S 4-1 w/Walker QP 17862
3 rib 002 Trans
185R14 Hankook tires
poptop tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a decent sized area - 109,000.

Good luck to him! Legend or not.
Bala
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"The man, the myth, the legend", it's just a saying. He's not a myth either.

Jeez, couldn't keep this thread positive for a single page. Confused

1966 Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
westcoastmarek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the WINNER is??!!!....

http://www.cheknews.ca/saanich-election-results/

Applause Applause
1979 VW bus, 2L FI, now with a rivi top
1971 7 pass. deluxe
1974 Beetle
bwaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats from the Lower Mainland Richard!
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does he do anything with T2s anymore? Or has he grown up and moved on?

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Link

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
old DKP driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:35 am    Post subject: Richard Atwell Reply with quote

Here is my take on what has happened to the VW community as a whole when it pertains to input and useful information in a website.

I never met Richard Atwell while he lived in Santa Clara, County. But, I did find out about him here in 2004 and did have a few emails with him about some electrical items.

I was so amazed at the site he created for all in the type 2 community that it really made me realize that the WEB was much more useful than simply exchanging basic information and mail since all I was into was my job and the ton's of service bulletins daily from our headquarters in N.J.

When a student saw me drive up in my Bus one morning and came into my office after class and gave me the SAMBA website address.

I was amazed at the amount of people around the world. and, after scrolling around I found..............Ratwell.com' and spent Hours on his site and always finding TRUE information. He should be praised for creating the site since he was a novice.
and not a V.W. tech but, learned as he went about collecting information about the product! and, gave his time to all here that use the info. The hours
of research that he gave helps tremendously to those here that want to learn the proper way to repair and search their needs to keep their Bus on the road.

Richards website has nothing to do with Forums like the SAMBA or Spinoffs as it is truly an encyclopedia for the late model bus owner. As much as I enjoy teaching I too enjoyed seeing what someone else could do by starting a website with so much useful information that is surly used daily by people
all over the World Wink

Thank You, Richard
westcoastmarek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
Does he do anything with T2s anymore? Or has he grown up and moved on?

I am certain I've seen him out in his Westy a number of times (summers, anyways). Haven't seen the DC out on the road...
1971 7 pass. deluxe
1974 Beetle
Lionhart94010
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am glad for him; I have no doubt that his community will be made better by their wise choice!

And am thankful to him and other wise contributors to our samba community, which have saved me lots of time, frustration and money, by their valuable input hear and other places on the web :0)
thesamba - www.ratwell.com - www.shoptalkforums.com/ - www.vw-resource.com - http://www.type2.com/
http://bobhooversblog.blogspot.com/ - www.aircooled.net/gnrlsite/resource/articles.htm
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sweet!!

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Legend, no Legend. Noodle, no Noodle. Fucking minutia hounds Rolling Eyes

I hope in the end, I'm remembered for more than my trollings on the interweb and VW shit.

Laughing

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
Legend, no Legend. Noodle, no Noodle. Fucking minutia hounds Rolling Eyes

I hope in the end, I'm remembered for more than my trollings on the interweb and VW shit.

Laughing

ill promise to remember you for your grumpy attitude at the first show i met you at....all because you still hadnt learned how to walk, much less on ice. Rolling Eyes

Laughing Razz

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow the world is changing, a VW Hippy bus owner is now a mayor of a small city, next thing you know we will be legalizing pot. Wink
RONIN10
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Legal pot? Got it! Colorado does too.

Congrats to Ratwell! I hope politics doesn't suck the VW soul out of him.

Oscar: 1976 Westfalia Deluxe Camper, 2.0L FI, Manual Transaxle
westcoastmarek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And here is our new mayor... Now if the westy needs some work, I will have it towed to the municipal hall Laughing

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1971 7 pass. deluxe
1974 Beetle
Collie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome! I had the pleasure of helping Richard when he started his website,I think he will be a great asset to BC!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: