Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help Please - need covered space to work near Bay Area
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Marquis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:29 am    Post subject: Help Please - need covered space to work near Bay Area Reply with quote

I am writing this in hopes of finding someone within the bay area that would be willing to help me out with an available space in which to finish this, nearly complete, restoration.

I am located in Napa, and it would be ideal to find something within one hours drive of Napa.

I recently moved and I now have no garage, the bus is tucked tightly away into an expensive storage unit in which working on the vehicle is not permitted.

I am in need of a covered space, with access to power, for at least 2 months. I just need to get the windows in, and the pop top roof back on, so that it will be able to drive, and be able to withstand the elements. I could do this in less then 2 months, although 2 months would allow me to put the camping gear back in.

Yes I have checked out other storage units, all i have called have strongly stated "No working on vehicles within the units" and, while I am certainly not one to be squeamish regarding rule breaking I want to avoid drama with the bus, I tend to want to keep things straight forward and honest. Also, I would like to avoid having to close myself up into a very tight 10x20 unit without power, to work in hiding, while having the tension of being discovered.

WHAT I NEED:

I am seeking out either a spot, or information leading to a space in which to work for at least 2 months, covered, with power. No use of chemicals, simply nuts and bolts being replaced.

WHAT I CAN OFFER IN RETURN:

I am willing to pay reasonable rent on a space in which to work on my bus.

I am also willing to trade my labor in exchange for a space in which to work on the bus in, but not limited to, the following ways..

I have spent uncountable hours on this vehicle, as such I have much knowledge of this thing from the ground up. I have nearly completed installing a modern, in dash, A/C system, I have all components installed and I have began a thread on this, which can be seen in the following link, and will be updated with very detailed photos as soon as I have a chance to do so.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=591615&highlight=

The above is just one example, I would be willing to trade labor and or knowledge toward another persons bus in trade for a space.

Also, At my former employer of 15 years in good standing I had been responsible for maintenance and upkeep of the property and house. I would be willing to trade work via maintenance of property or structure in trade for a space in which to work.

In addition, I am a certified massage therapist and would be willing to generously trade massage hours in trade for a space in which to work on my bus.

Below I have posted photos that illustrate some of the project, and progress thus far.

Any and all help with this would be very much, and greatly appreciated.!!

BEFORE:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

STRIPPED DOWN FOR PAINTING:

IN THE BOOTH:

STRIPPING DOWN HARDWARE IN PREPARATION FOR CHROMING:

FINISHED RESULTS, ALL HARDWARE CHROMED:

FINISHED RESULTS, ALL HARDWARE CHROMED:

ME, DURING REASSEMBLY:

NEARLY FINISHED RESULTS:

Last edited by David Marquis on Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:08 pm; edited 3 times in total
1vw4x4
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I can't help but your hard work looks great.

I just completely rebuilt two door handle locks today. 28 year old door
locks here in the rust belt are completely sieze. I spent several hours
pounding out each brass tumbler, cleaning the spring area, lubing everything up and re-installing. Unfortunately at 22 deg. I did not have the opportunity
to paint the door handle like you did. What paint you used on the door handles? looks great!
David Marquis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:50 pm    Post subject: Rocky Mountan Westy Reply with quote

Fortunately my locks had no rust, I just had to carefully document the dismantling so as to be able to reassemble them.

Thank you for the compliment on the hardware, it was a pain in the ass, The color in the finished photos is not paint. I had the hardware stripped and professionally chromed, along with the bumpers.

The bumpers are from Rocky Mountain Westy, I had ordered then in raw steel, then I had them shipped to the same chroming place that I had hired to do all of the other chroming.
WD-40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP PLEASE - need covered space to work near Bay Area Reply with quote

David Marquis wrote:
Yes I have checked out other storage units, all i have called have strongly stated "No working on vehicles within the units" and, while I am certainly not one to be squeamish regarding rule breaking I want to avoid drama with the bus, I tend to want to keep things straight forward and honest.

I've been in your situation before. Sad

The storage unit places are a dead-end. Too many lawyers, and too much insurance risk for them. Start looking in rural areas- either shared commercial space, or farm properties, for possible space to rent/lease.
ultra_rnr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure how far you are from Sacramento but if you can make the drive check out:
http://www.sacdiyccc.com

It is a pretty cool little shop, you rent time, they have everything you need, really a complete auto shop. If you need a day or two on the lifts you can get it. Just the drive would be long.

If you need a place to stay when coming up hit me up, we often have an extra bedroom (if you aren't a creeper:) which could cut down on commute.
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems to me you could have the windows in ,in an afternoon. When I had my van done ,we put the tent on the top and assembled the roof on the van and had it closed in within a day. Once the top was on and functional we could then go about assembling the van and finalize the tent at a later date.
If you were closer ,I'd offer my services to put your glass back in but you should be able to find someone closer ,unless you are doing it yourself.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

off topic...

is the 1st picture, the one "before".. taken in Joshua Tree NP. CA ... Indian Cove campground?

I think I saw your van (or similar to it)... I even took a pic. of it but can't find it anymore...

anyway... nice choice of color for a new life of your van...
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

0to60in6min wrote:
off topic...

is the 1st picture, the one "before".. taken in Joshua Tree NP. CA ... Indian Cove campground?...

I'll guess Jumbo Rocks CG.
David Marquis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WD-40:

Thats a good suggestion. Ive been looking around for a somebody with a large lot, who wouldn't mind being compensated in some way for allowing a 12x20 sized temporary car garage on their lot, with me regularly working inside of it.

Ultra_rnr:

I am an hour outside of Sac, I also have 2 nieces there that I need to visit more often who actually live in Sac. That shop is a very cool concept. I wish there were more of them. I would actually welcome something with such a business model as a nationwide chain. I thank you very much for the offer and for your hospitality, Not often do strangers reach out to open their home up to one that they have never met.

I must say thought, that If I'm in Sacramento I would most likely stay the night at my brothers, cousins, fathers, or uncles house. I have much family there. If for some reason Berkeley chooses me not, or I chose other then Berkeley, I may end up pursuing my Masters in social work in Sac.

In any event, no, I have been many things in my life thus far, some by choice, and others by sheer ignorance, or vulnerability, and creeper has been one Ive chosen to avoid in practice, or to have chosen close company of. Creeper, that was funny.. I especially like how the following link in Urban Dictionary states that a creeper is "usually a close friend or relative"

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Creeper

Here are some photos with me in them so you can judge for your self Smile

I figured out that if you click on each individual photo they enlarge, sometimes twice..

In these next two photos I am pretending that my bus is an old Horse drawn prairie carriage from the old west, and I am driving all 90 horses with the invisible leather straps in my hands...Although, Sometimes I pretend that the luggage rack is my balcony... Just depends upon my particular morning disposition I suppose...

In this one I am the guy with the flute, that's my Cousin with the guitar and Cowboy Hat:

Thanks for coming into this conversation..Take care Ultra_rnr.

Hello Stacy,

Ive removed and replaced the rear windows before, the drivers side was pretty difficult, although I have since removed them again for the paint job, and Ive, through research and collaboration, ended up with my own custom, modified versions that slide open and closed, while also incorporating a screen, as well as the plastic vent. I'm now actually missing one vent, as I had originally planned on installing the Go-westy version of a slider that includes the vent and in following along with this path I ended up permanently modifying this drivers side vent to be used with the Go-Westy slider. The vent was modified per the instructions that come with the Go-Westy slider. Now I need another vent for my custom made drivers side slider.

That being said; I have a Go-westy, drivers slider, as seen in this link:

http://www.gowesty.com/ec_view_details.php?id=23453

That I now need to now sell if anyone is interested. Complete with a modified rubber seal/trim, and a completely prepped vent to match up too, and install with, the slider.

Another window complication is that I am putting jalousie windows into the slider door, and over the stove on the drivers side, I am still in need of completing the modification of these windows to fit, Ive broken them down, and I've began to polish the aluminum, and I have also started the refurbishing process, however, once that is complete I will need to install them. Here is a link to info about this process:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=283728&highlight=

I have the drivers door and passenger side door windows, as well as the front windshield already re-installed. I had to source new frames from Go-Westy for my wing windows, as they were rusted a good bit in spots. They sell refurbished ones for 100.00 a pair. If I were near you I would very much welcome your help, thank you for your kind offer and I wish very much that I could take you up on it...

Bye Stacy..

0to60in6min:

The first picture is the BEFORE pic. ..and..It is indeed Joshua Tree. Ive been out there, enjoying the crazy magic of that land each and every summer of my life, playing within those humanoid trees, ....coyotes and sunburns. My Mom and all of her 6 siblings were born and raised in a little house just down the road from the North entrance of the campground/monument, off of Utah Trail, which eventually runs into the Marine Base.

Thanks for the compliment on the color, it was very difficult to narrow it down, as I could have chosen from literally any color when doing a complete color change. Green it was decided, a candied, somewhat slight metallic green.

It would be cool, if possible, to see the photo that you had taken of my bus.

Cheers...

Ahwahnee:

I'm not sure which campground it was within the monument... Could have been any of them I suppose, although, based on the rocks it could be narrowed down...
David Marquis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here below I am sitting with the A/C system before me, completely removed and intact. I built a plywood box for the unit so that the coils would be protected.

If anyone is interested in buying the unit, then please feel free to contact me.

I also have my original gas tank for sale, in excellent but original condition.

The A/C unit comes complete and intact with all components. Such as the original compressor, (in need of rebuilding), the compressor bracket, the condenser, the old dryer, (which I would suggest replacing as they are not expensive), original A/C lines, as well as the Plenthum and vent system that distributes the air toward the front. Here is a pic:

Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your front wheel is not fully on the ramp and could roll back and down. The rear wheel is not chocked in either direction. Chock the rear, jack up the front pax side, and put the ramp under the tire. Vanagon people have died when ramps were misused. Better a camper than a coffin.

Aloha
tp
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
David Marquis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good advice Tom, thanks.
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would loan you my garage in a heartbeat but I'm on the wrong coast. Nice work and I will send you good karma.

I'm glad to see you reincarnated after the Dakota incident. Smile
David Marquis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Abscate,

it certainly feels like the set of an old western out there. There are times when I go out there for weeks at a time, take some gear and avoid people all together, with camera and journal, and whatever else I would like to have with me, I commune with the greater lifeforms, the animals, that reside within the desert, far away from humans and their confusions. It is in these moments that I can think without distractions, or being bombarded with too much information, buy, sell, progress, work harder, longer, achieve some intangible endless goal while you incessantly compare self to others, focus on inadequacy and insecurity as driving motivators to try to be something or someone other then you are... Anyway... Rant over...

I have never seen that film, I looked it up and it seems interesting. I used to watch a ton of old westerns with my Grampa out at his ranch house growing up. It is practically all that was ever on his television, besides Good Morning America.. Ill check that out.

Im looking forward to being finished with the bus and meeting up with some of y'all at one of these bus gatherings, such as Syncro De mayo. Im hoping to make it this year.

http://syncro.org/syncro-de-mayo/

Its cool to see what others have done to their buses. a friend of mine just purchased one and she had to drop 35,000 in order to get one in the condition she wanted, rust free, relatively low miles, otherwise it is mostly without upgrades. So crazy how much these things have gone up in value.

While traveling in the bus I always run into others with a westfalia. Once while in Joshua Tree on spring break I drove away from my camping spot and when I returned there was another bus parked in my spot, I just squeezed in next to them and they turned out to be a bunch of other students on spring break from So-Cal. I'm a bit older of a student and they were all in their very early teens and 20's. Which was perfect because most people closer to my age are dealing with much bigger stresses, divorce, mortgages, etc... and they were just living, in the moment. It was one girls fathers bus, apparently he lets her use it all the time to take road trips with her friends.. He is on here, on the Samba, somewhere, a photographer.
pomfritz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great looking van! Beautiful work.

We are both massage therapists too and just got our 83.5 Westy last month. Many upgrades in planning. The van just fits our life so well and can't wait to take it out.

Hope you found the space you needed. I can just get it in our garage and need to keep the height at stock.

If you get up to the sac area would love to meet. There's another couple based here that long term travel in their van.

Peace,

Gary
David Marquis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:19 am    Post subject: Thank you Reply with quote

Thank you to all who replied, I found a spot, with power, a workshop in which to lock my tools, and a giant covered space to work. Perfect, Just down the street from my house and I only need to Mow a lawn every couple of weeks and pull some weeds.
kustomizingkid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post up more pics as you finish the build... I like the attention to detail and littlesndlaors you have added, very cool.
the_last1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:51 pm    Post subject: paint job Reply with quote

Who did your paint job? turned out nice! I am gonna have some body work to do on my Doka before paint, but i'm not super paint savy so im looking for a place that is reasonable Rolling Eyes .
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
David Marquis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:00 pm    Post subject: Paint Reply with quote

I paid more for the paint then I did for the bus. Although I bought mine just before the spike in price. I wouldn't say that the guy I used is reasonable, but he is very good at what he does and I chose high end, quality paint. I did all the prep work myself, removed windows, dash, all cabinets, etc, etc. ...and it was still a chunk of $$$. A quality job is expensive, I would do some research on places in your area and narrow it down from there. When my paint guy told me a quote I was shocked, then I researched what a quality job cost and I decided to make it work for me one way or another and I am pleased with the results. Good luck to you man.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: