Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

space above clothes cabinet - how to access
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:05 pm    Post subject: space above clothes cabinet - how to access Reply with quote

Its that space on the cabin side that is blocked off rather than the trunk side that is open next to the AC cabinet.

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
madspaniard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: space above clothes cabinet - how to access Reply with quote

vanis13 wrote:

Its that space on the cabin side that is blocked off rather than the trunk side that is open next to the AC cabinet.

no access was provided, either access from the back or open the closet and make a hole in the headliner/ceiling of the closet.

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad” - Salvador Dali
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, those kind of things is what I was wondering - what have folks found user friendly.

I'm wondering if taking out the middle division for longer things or making a door on the cabin side.

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
Dampcamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:21 pm    Post subject: A secret stash Reply with quote

Well, not so secret now. Wink I put one of these in under the mattress pad:
http://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-marine--screw-in-deck-plate-6-smooth-white--11743036
and have access to that area now. It was easy to do while I had the top and tent off, might be interesting getting a saber saw in there with the tent in place. Had I been thinking ahead I would have put a couple of small Tupperware tubs in there while I had the chance so stuff wouldn't roll away.
All the usual warnings about having secret hiding places vs. Law Enforcement and CBP/Homeland Security (especially crossing borders) apply. There's another thread for that, I think.
Now that Oregon is "legalizing it", too, I don't know what I'll use that space for. Smile
rubbachicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i plan on one day taking out the closet and cutting into that space while it's out, and just leaving it open, so it's not a hidden space, the hole does not need to be as low as the bottom of the shelf, trying to find on my budget the trim to go around the cut edge t of the hole would not be easy, but some brown paint around the edge i can do, it's not like it's going to be a easy thing for people to notice.

lucy's BIG adventure

meet 'burni'

markswagen {mobile mechanic} san diego area all early VW's cared for.

619 201 0310 or 617 935 4182
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
indytriple
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's worth noting that if you don't have AC or if you pull it, you have access to that area from the back, and it is not hidden. I store things that are long and skinny up there. Right now I have two breaker bars, a large torque wrench, an extra radius rod, marshmallow roasting sticks, a Swiffer sweeper that breaks down to clean the awning and large tent stakes.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

87 Vanagon Westy Auto Bostig

www.bluegrassbicyclecompany.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: