Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bad Camberg 2015 anyone?
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ThatVWGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:06 pm    Post subject: Bad Camberg 2015 anyone? Reply with quote

I have been wanting to go for years and the stars may align in 2015 to make that possible. It's June 19-21. Was wondering if anyone else is planning on going and/or if anyone has suggestions for the trip - places to stay, restaurants, side trips, etc.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm fairly certain that I'll be going for at least a week, maybe more. I've been many times before. Like many, I attend both BC weekend and then the next weekend is usually the European Bug-In. Both are very different, but both a lot of fun! See ya there!

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ThatVWGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BulliBill wrote:
I'm fairly certain that I'll be going for at least a week, maybe more. I've been many times before. Like many, I attend both BC weekend and then the next weekend is usually the European Bug-In. Both are very different, but both a lot of fun! See ya there!

Bill

What City is the European Bug-in held at?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
60vwnewengland
Twin #2

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should be attending... Have to wait till tax season and refunds to see if $$ is available.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatVWGuy wrote:
BulliBill wrote:

Bill

What City is the European Bug-in held at?

It's in Chimey Belguim.
Dan I hope you Go, get to Belguim Wednesday, so as NOT to get hosed by lame airlines.... Laughing

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
jsnoles1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Bad Camberg 2015 anyone? Reply with quote

ThatVWGuy wrote:
I have been wanting to go for years and the stars may align in 2015 to make that possible. It's June 19-21. Was wondering if anyone else is planning on going and/or if anyone has suggestions for the trip - places to stay, restaurants, side trips, etc.

Make the trip, it's worth it. I went back in '07 with friends. We stayed in Frankfurt near the main train station (Hotel National) and hopped a train the morning of the show which costs about 30 Euros for all of us and took about 40 minutes. Once there we followed the occasional vintage VW and walked approximately 15 minutes to the show site. If you're wanting to stay in BC you'll have to book now since from what I remember there are only two hotels in the small town. Flying in and out of Frankfurt can be the cheapest option from the US since it's one of the busiest airports in Europe.

My advice...
1. Go
2. Bring plenty of cash because you'll come across hard to find NOS parts you'll rarely find again
3. Hit the Bug In the following week
4. Plan on going to Hessich Oldendorf in '17. It's a much larger show and an unbelievable setting. From there you're only a couple of hour train ride to Wolfsburg to tour the factory and visit the Stifftung Museum, arguably the best collection of VW's in the world!

Happy traveling!
60vwnewengland
Twin #2

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The show is three days right? Which is the best day to attend? I'm planning 3 days in germany, 3 days in the UK, and one day in iceland on the way back.

Advice?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All three weekends (Bad Camberg, Hessisch-Oldendorf, and the European Bug-In) are basically three-day events. Most everyone arrives on Friday in the respective towns, the main core event is on Saturday, and most everyone hangs out on Sunday morning and heads home or elsewhere on Sunday afternoon. All events are great and very different from each other, with BC and H-O being the most similar.

By the way, the EBI is held in Chimay (not Chimey), Belgium, very close to the French border.

Lots of fun to be had over there!

Bill Bowman
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
j.pickens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't been, hoping to make the trip.
I'd guess saturday, if you can only make it one day.

i wish more people would actually drive their vws rather than just talking about what they have in the garage.

Red Fau Veh wrote:
If you've seen one sunroof swivel seat kombi, you've seen them all! Cool
ezcamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may be going. Especially since I have a free place to stay and vehicle to use... hard to pass up.
I make HWE style roof racks, Jim-Dandy racks, SO-33 metal parts, Dormobile racks, HWE style ladders, engine crank start handles, Westy rack tags, Binz tags, Sundial badges, State of California tags, steering lock electrical covers and single / double cab gate latch friction blocks.

instagram is http://instagram.com/bullidriversteelworks
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lee griffiths
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Planning on going, but then it's a whole lot closer for me... 100 miles to the overnight ferry (which is fun) then around 180 miles I think to BC from the port in Holland.

Lee
jeffavatech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:28 am    Post subject: Going Reply with quote

It's only 3 hours away for me. I'm planning to go but work may have other plans....
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A must see is the BBT Party near Antwerp Belgium, Bob put's on a Hell of a Bash !!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

But you need to be there Thursday, thats when the Party/open house is, Friday they have a huge caravn w/ loads of cool old Vdubs , to Bad Camberg.

My Pops:
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'86 Doublecab W/T
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed! Bob's pre-event party is one of the highlights of the weekend! And the "BBT Convoy" of roughly 250 old VWs on Friday to BC is a lot of fun too! Here is a shot of the cool "Convoy participant" cloisonné bumper badge:

And you can check out "the collection" of Bob's "keepers" as well as lots of vintage VWs for sale:

And outside VWs from all over Europe park and camp for the night and enjoy the party:

Bob and his staff are the ultimate organizers and hosts. If you are going over to Europe for the festivities, you really shouldn't miss the fun on Thursday/Friday at BBT near Antwerp, Belgium. I can't wait!

Bill Bowman
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dammm Bill, Ya got me all cranked up, & it just is happening for me in 2015.... Sad

More of Bob's stuff:

And lots of Barndoor @ BBT action.....

Spend as much time as you can, we did 12 & 14 days when we went in 2007 & 2011, the Bug-in is crazy cool, worth the extra week between shows.
It was waaay cheaper when my Son lived in Belgium.... Laughing

My Pops:

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'86 Doublecab W/T
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
djholland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those who haven't been there, here is a map of the town. I've marked the train station and the show area. Its a pleasant 10ish minute walk from the train station (along a street filled with vintage VWs) along Bahnhofstrasse.

Train from Frankfurt was great
ThatVWGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally speaking the best price on airline tickets is about eight weeks before departure. With falling oil prices I'm hoping for a deal. Any thoughts?

Trying to decide on Bad Camberg and a tour of Germany or Bad Camberg and Euro Bug-in and touring whatever is between the two. Any suggestions from those who have been before?
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We did a tour of Germany after Bad Camberg in '07, in '11 we toured Belgium, Plan it out, and hit The Euro-Bug in that next week. Both trips we stayed a few days after the EBI.

My Pops:

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'86 Doublecab W/T
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
VWsArent4Hippies
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bump! Very Happy
ice163
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone camping? If so, where at?

I found place that rents vanagons and eurovans, and have rented a eurovan for 9 days to camp out during Bad Camberg and then cruise it up to the european bug in and camp again there, since camping is included with admission at the venue in Belgium.

For Bad Camberg, we ill be staying at Lahn Camping Limburg (one of the 3 recommended camp grounds on the Bad Camberg website).
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: