Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Up Down Up Down Up Down goes my driver side door lock knob
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
amishman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:53 pm    Post subject: Up Down Up Down Up Down goes my driver side door lock knob Reply with quote

Along with my driver side window having issues, I have an odd up down up down up down of my driver side door lock knob.

My window right now on driver side goes down fine but only goes up 1/2 way. I have ordered from Van Cafe a new Window Regulator to hopefully fix that.

But, anyone know what part when bad makes the door knob lock go up and down endlessly?

On mine if I unlock the doors from my passenger side, all is PERFECT. All locks unlock or lock.

But, if I unlock the doors from the driver side, inside or outside by using the key, the knobs go in a endless cycle and loop.

If someone knows what the name of the part that causes this, what it looks like, a picture would be sweet, or where it is located in the door, that would be GREAT!

Hate not being able to unlock door on drivers side.

TJ

Come visit my web site!
http://www.vwhippie.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First thing to check is for broken wires inside the rubber boot between the door and body.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
funagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is an excerpt from the following linked article:

http://www.gowesty.com/library_article.php?id=314

"Another less common failure mode on Vanagons is where one of the front doors is locked, and the system goes into a ghostly lock-unlock-lock-unlock mode, over and over. In that case, there is usually a broken wire in the driver’s door jam harness AND a bad actuator in the passenger door."
westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did say first thing to check, because it is by far easier. The lock motor failure is less common in my experience, but then who am I. The motor failure is usually due to a tiny inferior-quality springs that loads the contact - I've replaced a few of the springs and the motors are almost always fine after.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
amishman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

westyventures wrote:
First thing to check is for broken wires inside the rubber boot between the door and body.

I have not looked yet but this boot, do I need to cut it open to access the wires?

Let a novice know best way to check this please.

Tj

Come visit my web site!
http://www.vwhippie.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, you don't need to cut open the boot. Check the wires with a meter for continuity.
westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amishman wrote:
westyventures wrote:

I have not looked yet but this boot, do I need to cut it open to access the wires?

Let a novice know best way to check this please.

Tj

You can also pop the boot loose at either end (door or body) and tug on the individual wires. The fuse panel will need to be dropped down slightly to get at the body end of the boot.
kuleinc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just replaced the drivers door harness and boot on my van with a power harness one, takes a bit of doing... Confused
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the Door Lock Actuator need to be fixed or replaced (VC has them).

I fixed mine using a small spring from ball point pen, then lubed, resealed.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I shut off the engine, get up from my seat, then hear this weird sizzling sound. Actually more like a bad sizzling sound. Like wiring shorting out. At first I thought it was coming from the starter battery Exclamation which didn't make sense as I knew the cabling to be ok and didn't think the battery had done something like short out Question Thankfully I quickly narrowed it down to the pass. side power door lock. Soon after, the locks started locking-unlocking continuously. Locking-unlocking the pass. door seemed to stop this but I pulled the fuse.

Given the symptoms, it sounds like I may be dealing with the issue Karl mentions and links to here:

http://www.gowesty.com/library_article.php?id=314

I'm sure the fault will be obvious, as I think something was shorting out or arcing within the passenger door, but thanks for the link to the article. I'm hoping it's a simple thing like a wire.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Capulina
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Up Down Up Down Up Down goes my driver side door lock kn Reply with quote

I don't know if Amishman ever fixed that Up Down Up Down door issue 2 1/2 yrs ago, but I wanted share a quick fix experience that might work for others. I've had this happen to me on two occasions - word-for-word exactly as described below. (the up-down-up-down signal loop on the door locks).

I noticed both times this issue happened only after I locked the van from driver's side (closed) with the passenger door opened. This happened to me again yesterday when a friend drove the van. And here is the fix that worked perfectly. All I did was to repeat the scenario which caused the issue in the first place. I went to the passenger door, opened it and left it open, then went back to the drivers door (closed) and locked the van from the driver's side. Then I went back to the passenger side door and closed it.

This has solved the same problem twice. All locks working normal and great after this fix!

amishman wrote:
Along with my driver side window having issues, I have an odd up down up down up down of my driver side door lock knob.

But, anyone know what part when bad makes the door knob lock go up and down endlessly?

On mine if I unlock the doors from my passenger side, all is PERFECT. All locks unlock or lock.

But, if I unlock the doors from the driver side, inside or outside by using the key, the knobs go in a endless cycle and loop.

If someone knows what the name of the part that causes this, what it looks like, a picture would be sweet, or where it is located in the door, that would be GREAT!

Hate not being able to unlock door on drivers side.

TJ
pingpong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks Capulina, i did exact what you said and ...indeed the driver side door works again as it should
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can corrosion in the connector to the actuator create a connection between the brown and other wire causing the door locks to go crazy? Or does it cause a poor connection causing the lock-unlock logic to get screwed up? (I think it's the latter)

connector off my '88

more pics. I almost feel bad posting them. Moisture issue aside, the actuator appears to be in much better condition than some I've seen here.

I was surprised at how much moisture was in the housing.

I repaired the boot with Goop. It was getting late so I didn't wait very long for it to set up. It should hold for a while.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: