Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1962 rear seat back cover installation
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DeVertible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:54 pm    Post subject: 1962 rear seat back cover installation Reply with quote

I have a simple procedural question regarding installing the TMI rear seat back cover on my 1962 rag top. First off - there is no cardboard backing on the seat. Question: Which side of the new cover (front or back) gets pierced by the hook points first? Looking at the direction that the points get bent (down against the tube) It seams logical that the front side(with the pleats and the nice stitching) would be done first with the back side fabric folded over and pierced second holding the front in place. There is a discussion on the Samba regarding this installation that includes a picture of the process done the other way.Done in reverse looks to invite the front to slip off the bent points, but what do I know? I just want to do it right before I start poking holes in my new WW covers. I am a genius by marriage, as my wife knows all, but me, I'm just a man with a VW addiction. Help is always appreciated, even by my wife but she is out of town.
Carl
panicman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is how I did it. I would have tried to mimic as closely as possible the factory installation.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

DeVertible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks absolutely correct in this picture and I am enlightened ! All of the hooks on my seat back have been bent 160 degrees in the wrong direction. I wonder how many I can re-bend to factory position without breaking them . . . . Thanks for the picture. Carl
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second Panicman's vote. Exactly the way mine went on. I had the advantage of pulling off OG material when I redid my '62- so I'm comfortable in knowing that was the way it was done.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Order a barb kit from Wolfsburg West, in case you break a barb or two. I had to have several barbs replaced on my front seats (they were missing). I had them welded on. But some people drill a hole in the frame and screw the barbs on.

I prefer VW's way: welding. But either way should work.

Tim
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: