Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Middle track & seat install in an '84 Westie
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
becida
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:28 pm    Post subject: Middle track & seat install in an '84 Westie Reply with quote

I picked up a middle seat and tracks yesterday to put in my '84 Westfalia.

I searched the threads here and the archives of the Vanagon list to find some help, I found it.

I removed the metal edging.
I rolled the carpet back to kitchen, sitting rolled up on the floor did not give me enough room so I clamped it up out of the way.
There were several staples and two sided tape along the front.

On the floor I found a fitting sticking up through a hole in the flooring, no idea what its for.
Does anyone know?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This is the unk fitting up close

I went underneath and found the already installed nuts and the holes that went with them.
I used a long thin drill bit to drill up from the bottom for marking purpose. I only needed to mark the floor for cutting.

I sat the rails on the marked holes to see how it was all going to fit.

The cut lines ended up being 3.5" wide

I cut the floor with a circular saw, with a 3.5" wide cut I hit the metal floor so I had to set the blade cut to 'almost' thru the wood floor. I used a hand saw and a hammer & chisel to finish the cuts. The hand saw riding in the already cut groove did a good job.
The wood floor pieces came out with a snap at the far end when bent up.

The long rail slot was half a hole short in the first test fit.

I had to use the hammer & chisel to lengthen the track slot that half a hole, the chisel worked really well on the floor.

Then I mounted the tracks on the floor to make sure they fit, make sure the hardware had no problems & I would pick which holes got the bolts.
I ended up cleaning the threads on the bolts with a wire wheel.

With the tracks mounted on the floor I laid the carpet back down and marked on it where the bolts would go. I made holes in the carpet for the bolts then put it back out of the way.
I pulled the tracks, laid the carpet down and then put the tracks on top of it.
A touch more trimming was necessary to get all the bolts in.
I did a loose fit until they were all started then tightened them all up.
Now the tracks are sitting & bolted down on top of the carpet

Then I put the seat in. Works good!

I trimmed the edge metal to allow the seat to be swapped with out having to remove it.

Now we can carry 6 people at a time in the camper, can't get to the fridge without pulling the seat but that's ok.
With the seat out I can put another carpet down in back (my van came with one already) and the tracks are hidden.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did mine the exact way and love it. I've tried to describe it in words on thesamba before, but a picture is worth a thousand words! I still need to cut and replace the metal edge, yours looks great!
becida
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pictures sure make it easier to explain how I did it.
RicoS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:16 am    Post subject: Re: Middle track & seat install in an '84 Westie Reply with quote

becida wrote:
I picked up a middle seat and tracks yesterday to put in my '84 Westfalia.

. . . . . .
. . . . . .

With the tracks mounted on the floor I laid the carpet back down and marked on it where the bolts would go. I made holes in the carpet for the bolts then put it back out of the way.
I pulled the tracks, laid the carpet down and then put the tracks on top of it.
A touch more trimming was necessary to get all the bolts in.
I did a loose fit until they were all started then tightened them all up.
Now the tracks are sitting & bolted down on top of the carpet

Then I put the seat in. Works good!

I trimmed the edge metal to allow the seat to be swapped with out having to remove it.

. . . . . .

With my first and one of my favorite Vanagons, an '84 sunroof, I quickly realized that being able to remove the center seat greatly increased its utility. The problem was that removing the middle seat was a pain-in-the-ass which involved removing the threshold trim and pulling up the carpeting without tearing it.

So, when I went to swap out that dreadful carpeting for rubber matting, I spun off the required number of standoffs (spacers) to install under the seat tracks at the attachment points. The standoffs lifted the tracks above the door threshold trim and the surface of the matting. Seat removal became a two minute task. Of course, humping around that lump once it was out was another matter.

I made the standoffs out of 6061 aluminum bar stock; if I recall correctly, they were about 1 3/4" in diameter and 1 1/4" in length.

Mounted on the standoffs, the tracks stood proud of the floor covering, but they were mounted securely without sandwiching the carpeting between the tracks and the floor. Also, the threshold trim remained in one piece.

In my experience, the two most useful modifications I ever did to a Vanagon were to replace the carpeting (front, middle and rear) with rubber matting and install rear-facing jumpseats.

Richie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DeadSetMonkey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:08 pm    Post subject: Middle Seat into a Westy. Reply with quote

Will this same routine work with a 1990 middle seat like this:

Into a 1990 Westfalia.

Just need track hardware, like this:

Any need to remove the end arm rests? Or will the seat width clear the door and the cabinets?

I'm about to remove the interior... and figure installing the middle bench and rear passenger jump while I am at it might make sense - to increase overall passenger utility... can get 5 or 6 belted passengers, vs 4... when needed.
DeadSetMonkey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Middle track & seat install in an '84 Westie Reply with quote

[quote="RicoS"]
becida wrote:

With my first and one of my favorite Vanagons, an '84 sunroof, I quickly realized that being able to remove the center seat greatly increased its utility. The problem was that removing the middle seat was a pain-in-the-ass which involved removing the threshold trim and pulling up the carpeting without tearing it.

So, when I went to swap out that dreadful carpeting for rubber matting, I spun off the required number of standoffs (spacers) to install under the seat tracks at the attachment points. The standoffs lifted the tracks above the door threshold trim and the surface of the matting. Seat removal became a two minute task. Of course, humping around that lump once it was out was another matter.

I made the standoffs out of 6061 aluminum bar stock; if I recall correctly, they were about 1 3/4" in diameter and 1 1/4" in length.

Mounted on the standoffs, the tracks stood proud of the floor covering, but they were mounted securely without sandwiching the carpeting between the tracks and the floor. Also, the threshold trim remained in one piece.

In my experience, the two most useful modifications I ever did to a Vanagon were to replace the carpeting (front, middle and rear) with rubber matting and install rear-facing jumpseats.

Richie

Did the bar stock, under the tracks, make the tracks proud enough to make an obvious bump if you took out the middle seat and then put one solid bit of carpet in over the entire interior?

I'm imagining the scenario where, when I do not have the middle seat in, I'll lay a single piece of rubber mat over the interior. I'd like the mat to sit flat, when the middle seat is out? sort of resmebling the stock westy floor with the tracks "hidden."
becida
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I recall (I sold the van) the seat went in fine but you had to slide it out to open the refrigerator.
When I put a carpet over the tracks (seat taken out) I had a dip into the track area.
the joker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try to find the factory covers that fit on the tracks when the seats out
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tarandusVDub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting ready to do this mod. I have the bench lined up but would also like to add a single seat at times...Anyone have a line on a single center jump seat? Preferably with head rest...
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tarandusVDub wrote:
Getting ready to do this mod. I have the bench lined up but would also like to add a single seat at times...Anyone have a line on a single center jump seat? Preferably with head rest...

What you want to buy is just the base. Any front seat will slide onto that base since the seat tracks duplicate the front tracks. Very Happy

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
alaskadan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tarandusVDub wrote:

Ironic, I just scored a single seat yesterday. I havent heard anyone mention sealant on the bolts holding down the tracks. When i removed the tracks in my van the was some sort of butyl sealant on the threads. Not sure if it was stock but i assumed it was. Later i put bolts in the holes as a temporary plug til the tracks go back. Ones without sealant weeped water around them from below.
Aerosport
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:58 pm    Post subject: Middle seat Reply with quote

I have the middle seat and tracks to do this mod to my '87' Westy but am lacking the bolts and brackets that hold down the tracks. If anyone has these laying around I would happily purchase them. Thanks

'87 Westy GL - "Stanagon", 2wd WBX 4 speed
15" Rhein alloys, GW 1.5" lift springs & Fox shocks
tarandusVDub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone tried to fit a Eurovan middle seat in a Westy? Assume its a whole different kettle of fish, but I know the front seats are interchangeable...
ditdater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Middle track & seat install in an '84 Westie Reply with quote

hey , im new to site , don't have a vw van , but a 65 chevy flat nose . lloking to poss find and buy a vanagon middle bench seat to save room and (take my new grandson in it w/ babyseat ). and would anybody know if It bottom of frame would be real basic to install in a flat floor ? maybe use the strips shown , or basically drill holes in floor for bolts and use extra metal braceing / big washers to the nuts under floor . also does it sit 2 people comfortably ? thanks dudes , danny in ky 502 432 3684 and May God Bless
nemobuscaptain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Middle track & seat install in an '84 Westie Reply with quote

I have seen it bolted to the floor without the rails being used. Id use heavy duty (class 8 at least) hardware with fender washers below.

Id also use a Ford or Chevy bench seat. They are a dime a dozen. Vanagon seats are pretty hard to find.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/FullMoonBusClub

RIP Bob Hoover https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=427791
Hoover Sermons: https://www.vwsage.com/images/vwsage/Bob%20Hoovers%20Sermons.pdf
ditdater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Middle track & seat install in an '84 Westie Reply with quote

actually , just picked up a mid 80s ,I think vanagon middle bench w ea end arm rest and a middle arm rest . might be thinking of finding the rest of the hardware /w the bottom track to see if that might work in mine . is the rest of mounting h/ware hard to come by . thanks for info
dan 502 432 3684
pinetreeporsche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Middle Seat into a Westy. Reply with quote

DeadSetMonkey wrote:
Will this same routine work with a 1990 middle seat ...into a 1990 Westfalia.
Any need to remove the end arm rests? Or will the seat width clear the door and the cabinets?...

I also put in the middle tracks, and no you'll have to remove one of the arm rests- presumably will be the one against the 'frig. Allows about an inch at the other side, to the slider.
The BIG advantage is that you can slide the seat out, turn it around, and slide it back in, facing rearward. Makes sort of a 'club car' space: Bringing 4 boy scouts home from scout camp, I put it in that way, with the table swung out between. They played cards all the way home, a couple of hours. For camping, I just leave it at home, as I have not camped with 5 or more, but could with a tent, or tenting under an awning.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: