Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Question about some parts I'm thinking of ordering.
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aftermarket side markers are garbage. Find OG Hella ones and they won't turn clear in 12 months. Took me buying several markers, lights, housings, lenses, and seals from swap meets to put a good set together.
I second calling Bus Depot customer service with a list of your part numbers before ordering. The people who take the orders do not have ANY answers for you, so best to put a list together with the part numbers and call the info line. Ask them what country it comes from, manufacturer, etc etc, especially the seals, you want the best quality there. Their listings on the site are shady and misleading sometimes, and you won't know something is in stock on their shelf until you call. If you just place the order you could be waiting a while on backordered items.

30 years from now, the next guy may not want your girlfriend, but he may want your classic car, depending on how nice you were to it.

asiab3 wrote:

Careful guys, a petulant child can grow up to be president these days.

**winter drivers: no survivors!**rust warrior**#keepbodyshopsbusy**
SixStringMadMan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks fellas. I got 2 emails this morning confirming my order. First one said everything was on its way except the oval engine seal. Then 20 mins later I got an updated email from a manager saying all parts are shipping. I'll let you guys know when they get here, probably somewhere around a week.

Now back to dreaming of jailbreak bars, new rims, shortened beam from Arkweld, and many other things. Wink
Busdepot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The order arrived within the 10 days expected for ground service----but the "drop shipped" items came in a week later.

The order actually arrived in just 4 days. (Ordered 12/9, delivered 12/13). The dropshipped items were delivered the very next working day (12/15; the 14th was a Sunday.) This is a total of 6 days, not 17 days as you imply.
Quote:
There seems to be a lot they don't stock and they don't order it until you do.

We stock a ton of inventory, but not everything for a Bus can be in stock at all times. These are specialized items and often there is only one obscure source for them. Items that are generally special order are listed as such on our site. Items that are either generally in stock or can be obtained in about a day are listed as "usually ships in 1-3 working days." That is the norm but it is not a guarantee. Many of our vendors do not inform us of a stockout until the product simply fails to show up on our daily order. We try to keep the listings current, but without the resources of an Amazon.com we just can't keep every availability listing current at all times (especially since the vendors often don't tell us). In the event of a backorder, we aborb the cost of shipping the item separately and do not charge you until it ships. Do not hesitate to email Fred at [email protected], either before or after placing the order, to confirm stock status, ask about brand, etc.
Quote:
(various comments disparaging the $35/pair H4 headlights)

You've never actually bought these, so I don't know how you can comment on their quality. Maybe you should try them before you slam them. At $35/pair we have never claimed them to be equal to the $160/pair Cibies. They are generic knockoffs, no more. In fact our description specifically states that even our $69/pair Hellas are better than them. That being said, they are a heck of a lot of headlight for $35/pair. Also, Ratwell never recommended against these. He has referenced generic H4 headlights in general, not these specific E-codes (which are far superior to most generic H4's, even if not up to Hella/Cibie standards. To see how we describe them, go to http://www.busdepot.com/nl910ch4/. I stand behind that description. I believe it is 100% accurate and honest and we have thousands of happy customers who use them.
Quote:
or likely not to fit (windshield wipers)

I have never heard of our windshield wipers not fitting. Are you commenting on a product you haven't tried again?
Quote:
I got a thermostat and it's completely the wrong item, even though they claim on their site it's the right one.

The thermostat we sell is the genuine Volkswagen/Germany thermostat that was originally sold for Type 1 engines, but can also be used for a Type 4 engines. (Volkswagen no longer makes the later style so this is the only new one we can supply.) Our product listing clearly explains that minor modification is required in order to use it on a '72-79 and even provides instructions on how to do so (a simple process that has also been covered on the Samba). The two versions are functionally similar but have a relatively minor difference in operating temperature that will not hurt your engine in any way. We are not the only ones who advocate using one as a substitute for the other. In fact I have one in my own 1978 Crew Cab. If you have not used or modified the thermostat we will be happy to take it back. I see that Customer Service already offered this to you.
Quote:
Got an engine compartment repair section that turned out to be anything but what they describes.

I'd appreciate it if you'd pm me more info on this. We have never had any complaints about the description being inaccurate. If you believe it is, I'd appreciate your feedback on how we can change it to make it more clear.
Quote:
aftermarket side markers are garbage. Find OG Hella ones and they won't turn clear in 12 months.

They last longer than that but I agree that they are not as good as the original Hellas. (They are however a lot cheaper, so even if you do replace them every several years you still haven't paid much.) We have genuine VW 73-79 front turn signal and tail lenses, but not genuine side marker lenses. The genuine ones were discontinued 15 years ago and these are the only new ones still in production. Side marker lenses are largely U.S. only items so there is limited global demand for them; therefore it is unlikely that anyone else will tool up for them in the future and make a different/better alternative.

Last edited by Busdepot on Wed Dec 24, 2014 7:26 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jake Hoff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the drop shipping has freaked me out before ordering from Bus Depot
So I as well will call their toll free number and place the order and make sure they have it
if they don't I have ordered it from someone else but the past ordered parts have drop shipped to me the next day
Busdepot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A large proportion of the Bus parts we carry can't be dropshipped. I have to import them myself from Europe, because U.S. suppliers either don't have the quality we demand, or the price, or the product itself. But on those items that CAN be dropshipped, it often makes the most sense to do that. For example, if you live in Seattle, why should we ship you a Bosch starter all the way from Pennsylvania which will take a week to reach you, when we can have a Bosch distributor in northern California ship it directly to you and you'll have it in a couple of days? Each time your order (or a portion of it) ships, you get an email with an attached invoice updating your order status. If an item is in the "backordered" column on that invoice, but also says D/S or Dropship, it is not actually backordered but rather being shipped separately from the supplier. (Theoretically your online account should update to show this too but it's been buggy. We have a developer looking at it.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oscarsnapkin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ROCKOROD71 wrote:
Ask them what country it comes from, manufacturer, etc etc, especially the seals, you want the best quality there. Their listings on the site are shady and misleading sometimes, and you won't know something is in stock on their shelf until you call.

I bought a ton of stuff from them earlier in the year and was a little ticked off when the 'German' parts that I ordered were made in China. However, they gladly accepted my returns and were pretty awesome as far as customer service went. They're only about a 20 minute detour from my commute to work so at least I didn't have to worry about return shipping.

"It’s so easy to laugh, it’s so easy to hate, it takes strength to be gentle and kind."
SixStringMadMan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may have access to a 3d printer at work. Wonder how hard it would be to scan and print one of these rear side marker housings. Hmmmm... or some of the other little parts.
Busdepot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I bought a ton of stuff from them earlier in the year and was a little ticked off when the 'German' parts that I ordered were made in China. However, they gladly accepted my returns and were pretty awesome as far as customer service went.

This is an ongoing issue as companies continue to outsource globally. It is not uncommon for us to receive a pallet of a single part number and find them to have three different countries of origin. If we are pretty much certain a part is German made, sometimes we'll say so right in the product description (such as our German seals; we import them directly from Germany and know exactly where they're coming from). But other than that, it's gotten to the point that we have a disclaimer on every page saying that any country listed next to the brand only denotes where the company is based and we cannot guarantee where they will make the product.

That being said, not all Chinese (or other) made products are the same. Just because a reputable German company makes a particular part in China, and so does an off-brand, that does not necessarily mean they are equal. One has a long-established reputation to protect; the other may be fly-by-night. We have an article on parts quality at http://www.busdepot.com/details/quality/ that may be worth a read.

If you want to know where a part is made don't hesitate to email Fred at [email protected] before you place your order. Assuming it's in stock, he'll be happy to pull one off the shelf and give it a look. Of course that doesn't guarantee that the next shipment (or even a unit three further back on the same shelf) will be the same, but it will give you a pretty good idea.
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll pop in to comment about the H4 headlights.

I honestly don't remember if I saw it here first (probably did) but I knew that they were the motorcycle lights before purchasing for my '78 bus. I think that in this case, what they are being marketed for is what makes the price difference.

Anyway, I bought them and installed along with some relays and upgraded headlight bulbs.

The improvement over stock was fantastic! Much brighter and the light is actually aimed at the road vs all over the place. (Though some would have to get used to the cut off line, which is normal with Euro style lights.) When the lights are on high, you could use them to melt paint off something!

I will have to follow along with the side marker thread, however.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
71whitewesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bus depot has always been great to deal with in my experience. I also had the window scrapers arrive bent, not BD's fault as those things are fragile. They immediately shipped me out another set and I didn't even have to ship the damaged ones back. You just have to do a bit of research on the product and if you still have an issue, call them.
I thing it's great that BD comments on these threads. It shows me that they are paying attention and are concerned about what their customers think.
I know you can't please everyone but I think they try.
1969 Tucker Sno cat 542
2017 VW Alltrac
71 tin top stock 1600 DP (project but runs)
Twin 71 White Westy, Bus 2, that I pulled from a 15 year slumber in a dry eastern WA field in 2015.
1966 Sundial Camper "Boomer"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cannot understand why so many people think that because it says Germany on the box or the distributor says it was made in Germany, that this somehow implies that a meticulous, bitter old German guy is supervising a crew of young, bright machinists and a room full of tool and die men working next to shriveled up old clock smiths.

This is 2014, and mechanized Germany has long ago joined the rest of the world in global supply chain solutions. The era of perfect German engineering simply cannot be expected to also cover aftermarket parts for 40+ year old cars that are no longer supported by Volkswagen.

Please also be aware that many items stamped Made in USA can be absolute garbage.
firedawg24
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:53 am    Post subject: Bus Depot Reply with quote

Don't let the stories here sway you. As far as BD goes they have been nothing but great to deal with. I have ordered about $1600 worth of stuff over the past few months, 9 orders and 50 or so parts total, and I think the only thing that was back ordered was a roller bearing for the sliding door. Plus their customer service has been great. And every part, including wipers, have been perfect.
70westie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just started purchasing odds and ends I know I will need for my 70 Westie.. Christmas and my significant other going apeshit and spending $1,600 in the past 30 days has put a small damper on progress.

I have only ordered about 6 things from Bus Depot, but the purchases I have made from Bus Depot have been as described, and delivered quickly.

Seeing the communication from them on this site only makes me feel that much more confident regarding future purchases.

ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SixStringMadMan wrote:
I may have access to a 3d printer at work. Wonder how hard it would be to scan and print one of these rear side marker housings. Hmmmm... or some of the other little parts.

It isn't the housings that are the problem, it's the lenses. They fade and eventually go clear with exposure to the sun. The other issue is the seals. They are completely wrong and will cause the marker to "stick out" instead of laying flush against the body. The front yellow markers and rear red lit markers are the same size, the housings differ only in that the lit ones have the provision for the bulb. I have searched swaps and bought up one or the other housing, only for a good, uncracked/damaged seal to use with a Hella lens found from another seller and a lit housing from yet another source. I am one yellow side marker away from having all 4 perfect, Hella side markers. The aftermarket jobs will work but I am a perfectionist I guess. All the 40 year old Hella lenses I have on my bug and bus are still in great shape. Why change 'em every few years? The housings also use plastic squeeze tabs to mount on the body that frequently break. Many bus owners I've talked to suggest removing the tabs and simply using a small nut and bolt to secure them. Ron from BD is right though, no one is gonna tool up to make them, so better find some Hellas off the millions of scrapped late model busses before they disappear!

30 years from now, the next guy may not want your girlfriend, but he may want your classic car, depending on how nice you were to it.

asiab3 wrote:

Careful guys, a petulant child can grow up to be president these days.

**winter drivers: no survivors!**rust warrior**#keepbodyshopsbusy**
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: