Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

TDI PD130/150 intake manifold upgrade in AHU vanagon
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tclark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 12:38 pm    Post subject: TDI PD130/150 intake manifold upgrade in AHU vanagon Reply with quote

This only for those with tdi conversions installed
My ahu tdi conversion was throwing a 1403 err, I checked and the egr diaphragm is busted...
I dont want to do a egr delete & I do want to move to a vnt turbo down the road ....
It looks like a good replacement when installed in mk3 jetta ahu is to use pd130 intake manifold with a standalone egr valve
pd130 038129713AJ driver side inlet & egr 038 131 501 AN ?

Now i have never seen how a pd130/150 is installed in a car so what orientation
(driver side or passenger side inlet) on the pd intake manifold is used when installed in our vans with a AHU TDI?
If anyone knew the correct parts# that would remove all confusion

thx tim

Last edited by tclark on Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:48 pm; edited 2 times in total
zeohsix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want it to point towards the rear of the van...passenger side inlet, front of the van use a drivers side inlet. I have a spare passenger side inlet PD150 intake I can make someone a deal on, most installations will use the rear facing inlet ( passenger side )
I'm Cheap! I'll build that Syncro Westy myself and save money but, my labor is "FREE" especially if I ever go to sell it! One thing is I will know the quality of the parts and labor that went into the build and rest better when I'm actually driving said Westy down the road!
hans j
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been thinking about using one for my upcoming AHU conversion if I can find one cheap. If not I am thinking about deleting the EGR, cutting and flipping it around to point towards the back of the van.

The ALH intake also points to the back of the van and it's what I have on my syncro, but with EGR delete.

I believe the PD intakes do flow more, but only really see a gain when big turbos and software is used? I might be wrong though.
BavarianWrench
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tclark I'm curious about adding a VNT turbo to the AHU? Not to derail things but it is intake related, somewhat. I have heard the PD intake fits. I can only reference internet research. I have not used one personally, but am interested in that install as well. Anything that cleans up and or adds some power to the install I'm interested in. Thanks in advance to those with the experience!
tclark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zeohsix wrote:
If you want it to point towards the rear of the van...passenger side inlet, front of the van use a drivers side inlet. I have a spare passenger side inlet PD150 intake I can make someone a deal on,

Good info zeohsix
Do you know which orientation provides the most trouble free orientation with regards to interference
1. Towards rear that is where the turbo is located for now that would be a kkk03
But when that turbo dies ill go to vnt, i know i need a new custom motor mount but
If the intake is also rear facing is that even more fab work or is it the best compromise
Will the egr still have clearance or do u always do egr delete with a vnt turbo ?

2. Towards the front if i install the egr valve will that have enuff clearance
Of the firewall
Quote:
most installations will use the rear facing inlet ( passenger side )

Is that when done on vanagon tdi conversion or a regular mk3 jetta update ?

Also in either case the pd 130/150 looks a bit wider is there any interference against the driver side inner fender

Sure would be nice to see a pic of pd130/150 install in a vanagon Smile
njt1rider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an AHU swap in my Eurovan. I am using a PD130 manifold facing the driver side and a VNT-17. I deleted my EGR so no help there. Sorry I can't help you with best direction in a Vanagon either but the 130 manifold and vnt17 work together but I am unsure if you will be able to keep the EGR without some custom fab work. Are you trying to keep the EGR for emission test reasons? I think once you mod the engine that much, most people just delete the EGR. Don't forget you will need the EGR deleted in the tune as well as tuning to use the VNT. You will also need the proper N75 Valve to make everything work.
lloydy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have the pd manifold on mine, and have the one that faces the front of the van. Then a 180 bend onto the intercooler.
EGR is removed on mine
lloydy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as per pm..
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Allard EGR delete pipe

This is one off a longitudinal engine, like passat/A4/A6 ect.
One from a transverse engine will point to the back of the van
lloydy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hans j wrote:

I believe the PD intakes do flow more, but only really see a gain when big turbos and software is used? I might be wrong though.

your right in no real difference to be noticed, i fitted it so the whole inlet tract was 70mm instead of going up/down in sizes, more joins ect.
njt1rider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lloydy, where did you get the hoses connecting your airbox to manifold?
hans j
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the states, check siliconintakehoses.com. They also sell the water/air intercooler parts.
Hammy1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

njt1rider wrote:
lloydy, where did you get the hoses connecting your airbox to manifold?

Jegs and summit racing also sells them. As well as aluminum and stainless intake pipes.

Jon H.
CdnVWJunkie Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What lloydy has is a pd130 intake. The pd150 faces opposite. The 2.0L BHW TDI engine uses the pd130 intake but has emissions provisions on it where the Euro unit does not so it's cleaner looking but not quite as easy to get ones hands on here in NA.
lloydy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i could be wrong, but as far as i am aware the 150/130 thing doesn't dictate what way the inlet faces. Thats down to whether its a longitudinal or transverse engine.
tclark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lloydy
Thx for the pic you are the first person in the world to post a public pic of a pd manifold installed into a t3 Smile

Is there any difference in the width of ahu manifold compared to the pd 130/150 from longitudinal engine,, drivers side inlet

Its little dark in the pic i cant quite see is there a fair amount of room
after the manifold is mounted up between the manifold & the driver side inner fender/firewall ?

The pic does not quite show how far forward the manifold goes...
how much clearance is there between the end of the 180degree hose and the front of the firewall
(for emission reasons i am thinking of installing a 038 131 501 AN then the
180degree hose,...)
my thinking this could be a drop in replacement for a std ahu manifold with the built in egr, then no ecu tune no more 1403 = pass emissions Smile
hans j
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are interested, I'll just trade you my AHU intake for yours. There is still a tiny bit of carbon in mine but it's pretty clear. I'm going to delete EGR anyway so I don't need one that works. I'll probably even cut the entire thing out and reweld it where I want it.
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are the different PD150 intakes. The one considered to be a direct swap in an ALH Mk4 TDI is the AF unit below - but any should work in a swap.

For reference, here is an "AF" PD150 next to a stock ALH intake

And a stock (AUH?) vs a "BC" below

[/img]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Done a couple years ago. PD130 intake, MTDI, VNT17 also mechanically controlled. Ungodly low end torque but I unfortunately grenaded the engine due to another unrelated scenario. Crying or Very sad

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lloydy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tclark wrote:
lloydy
Thx for the pic you are the first person in the world to post a public pic of a pd manifold installed into a t3 Smile

Is there any difference in the width of ahu manifold compared to the pd 130/150 from longitudinal engine,, drivers side inlet

Its little dark in the pic i cant quite see is there a fair amount of room
after the manifold is mounted up between the manifold & the driver side inner fender/firewall ?

The pic does not quite show how far forward the manifold goes...
how much clearance is there between the end of the 180degree hose and the front of the firewall
(for emission reasons i am thinking of installing a 038 131 501 AN then the
180degree hose,...)
my thinking this could be a drop in replacement for a std ahu manifold with the built in egr, then no ecu tune no more 1403 = pass emissions Smile

Lol, those pics have been on my build threads and Facebook for a fair while!
There is lots of room all round the manifold, i can get a few more pics for you. I'm out in the van for the next day or two, so it'll be after that
lloydy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

westyventures wrote:
Done a couple years ago. PD130 intake, MTDI, VNT17 also mechanically controlled. Ungodly low end torque but I unfortunately grenaded the engine due to another unrelated scenario. Crying or Very sad

its interesting seeing the route of your air intake, in that you have gone across the engine and down in the corner. I see this a lot on American tdi's, how do you connect to the turbo? as the intake on the turbo points to the back of the van.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: