Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Windshield wipers randomly stop working; '79 bus
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
smilesandspace
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 11:09 pm    Post subject: Windshield wipers randomly stop working; '79 bus Reply with quote

Ok, now that I have good defrost in my bus, I need to have reliable windshield wipers... and I don't.

My wipers will work, but after a few minutes they will stop randomly, then start going again a few minutes later. It seems like they will last a little longer if it's raining hard enough to keep the windshield very wet, but I'm not quite sure about that. This problem is the same on either wiper setting that I put it on.

Also, if the windshield is not totally wet it seems like the wipers are trying with all their might to wipe across my windshield. I don't know if that is normal or not, but the stopping is definitely not normal.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Smiles
mikedjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the wiper spindles are well greased - it is worth taking the mechanism out and then feeding grease in as you remove and insert the spindles into the bushes.
Friction in the spindles doesn help.

Also check the earth lead on the wiper motor frame is well connected - mine got knocked off while I was replacing the washer pipework, and this caused similar symptoms.

1974 VW T2 : Devon Eurovette camper with 1641 DP T1 engine, Progressive carb, full flow oil cooler, EDIS crank timed ignition.
Engine 1: 40k miles (rocker shaft clip fell off), Engine 2: 30k miles (rebuild, dropped valve). Engine 3: a JK Preservation Parts "new" engine, aluminium case: 26k miles: new top end.
Gearbox rebuild 2021 by Bears.

1979 Westerly GK24 24 foot racer/cruiser yacht Forethought of Gosport.
1973 wooden Pacer sailing dinghy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: