Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Winter Driving: Tips, Tricks, & Mods (2WD & 4WD)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I think the lifted suspensions would be an interesting factor to know what percent of the flops and such had that mod. The amount of work we used to put into suspension development aimed specifically to avoid rollovers was enormous. And once the sweet spot was attained, it was surprising to see how much a small mod brings rollovers back into the vehicles behavior.

But I suspect the more experienced folks would probably agree that even the best habits and good trail sense can result in a flop if you are out running the tougher trails regularly. The very good wheelers know that the fun starts at 30° lean angles and its just like climbing the higher mountains, skiing off the cornices, and carrying that extra 2mph through the rock garden on a mountain bike. Wheeling in those rarified circumstances lurks the rock that suddenly rolls, the edge of a rain rut that collapses, and the front tire that loses grip on the ledge just when the opposite tire is over the big hole you hope to traverse. Its a bit of an exciting crap shoot even with the right frame of mind and skill set.
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
alaskadan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldve like to seen more of the damage that resulted in those flops. Was there more cosmetic sheetmetal damage or that plus racked bodies?

Touching on original topic, its springlike driving up here. Its 38 degrees and raining! Whats up. We would rather it freezes up and stay that way. The traction is better. Something i notice also is with no snow ( mostly ) its alot darker morning and night driving. With snow everywhere it generally easier to see the road.

Funny, all the energy spent on these things to make them 4x4 better ( im no exception ) and
wanting so bad to compete with the big boys we need to remember these are rooms on wheels. I know. Thats the coolest part, pulling to the top of the mountain, hill, etc and brought the kitchen sink!
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IdahoDoug wrote:
Yes I think the lifted suspensions would be an interesting factor to know what percent of the flops and such had that mod.

two were stock
blue tintop- backing, flopped onto driver side. Inexperienced Syncronaut
Dave Jordan- backing, flopped onto driver side. Expert Syncronaut

bear in mind these flops are being done at a 4x4 park, by expert drivers with lots of experience testing the limits of their vehicles.

Also, Syncros are going over terrain that 4x4s with 33"+ tires and deeper articulation than our vans, build the holes into. So the syncros are more likely to flop due to smaller tires following "Jeep" tracks.

alaskadan wrote:
I wouldve like to seen more of the damage that resulted in those flops.

these are all just flops, body damage, but not frame damage. None of the vans rolled onto the roof.

CV Bill fixed his, covered by insurance!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The blue tintop was a total loss, according to an onsite body shop estimator, damage to every body panel on driver side.
Randall had no damage, the body of the van was hanging in mid air, supported by the wheels stuck into the hillside
The white van in the obstacle course had almost no damage, he leaned over onto a steep soft hill, that I was sitting on, about 3 feet away. I think he just broke a mirror.
Buslab is an auto repair business, they fix their own messes, they actually flopped 2 Vans on different years. The one on the downhill rut had a brand new paint job, it needed body panel work and another repaint. The other one downhill had relatively minor body damage, and the vehicle is built specifically for offroading use by the shop staff.
Dave Jordan is an accomplished Van builder, I suspect he will do his own body work.
FrankenSubySyncro had body panel damage that he fixed himself
I don't know the details of Dan Flemings flop
Altoona
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon_slider wrote:

Where did the front turn signals go?!?
BavarianWrench
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love where this thread is going! As for Insurance covering off road test track induced body damage? I'm not sure the insured wants to discus that one in public! Or is there a policy that covers that type of damage. There was a guy who used to work with me and used his Jeep daily driver as an off road rec veh. He hit his company up for 10g in repairs after flipping in a trail. What is the deal with that. I'm on my own if I crash off road. Do I need a different plan?
We can start a new thread on this one or just PM me. I don't want to derail this Laughing
CV Bill fixed his, covered by insurance!

WestyBob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Altoona wrote:
Where did the front turn signals go?!?

At the time of that pic I believe (not positive) his front turn signals were embedded within his headlights like they often were in ancient times.

The thing about 'Wild' Bill (what some of us that know him well fondly call him) is every time I see him, maybe twice a year, there are some or many things that change on the rig. Like when I saw him last May and again in August, the pop-top was off. And the instrument panel, part of what you can see the back of in the pic thru the windshield, looks like that in a B-17.

Anyway, Bill told me he has a good rapport with a mechanic and body guy near where he lives, which is not too far from where Syncrofest occurs, who understands what and how Bill uses his syncro (expectations). Bill's common refrain is "let's go break something" and also "roll your own".

Unfortunately I can't tell you how he finances it all but at almost every major off-road outing he'll do some damage, then the next time it looks good as new. And ... as a result he's one of the major experienced, fearless syncro drivers.
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, today's storm started as snow, turned to ice and is now teaming rain.

From my snowboarding days, we called this variable conditions Laughing

On a Syncro related note...I have seen the calcium fortified road spray mess with my gas gauge for the last time.
I will post up some protective measures for the connection and wiring.

I have been monitoring my oxygen sensor since posting that I coat it with Fluid Film before storms...much less variation in the numbers displayed by my Shoebox DigiTool since doing so and a solid 19mpgs with winter mix gasoline.
I'm cool with that Wink
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, time to spray down my O2 sensor....thanks!

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

X2 Thanks! Insyncro Very Happy I have noticed my MPG's down when traveling in winter conditions. Maybe this will help! Idea
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if it will help or hinder yet.

What I do know is that I used to coat them with a white Loctite Hi Temp grease and the numbers were all over the place after doing so.

Having the sensor cover, pictured earlier in the thread makes a huge difference and the FF seams to protect but not interfere with them like the grease did.

I look forward to some more Volks giving it a shot in nasty conditions and letting me know if they saw any changes...good or bad.

The Syncro getting 19mpgs is a 91, bone stock, tuned by me of course, running 215/75/15 Nokians.
It has been getting full tanks of either Sunoco 93 or PitStop 91 E free since I purchased it in Sept.
Mobil1 0w40 and Mobil1 205 filter incase anyone is interested.
WestyBob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct me if I'm wrong but I always had the impression you folks who live in regions where they used lots of salt and other corrosive juice usually keep your vanagons/syncros in storage until spring. Do some of you drive a dedicated syncro, like an old rusty, in winter or do you power wash underneath after every drive in the snow/ice/slush ?

In the Portland (Pdx) area of Oregon we're having a warmer than usual winter so far -- nary a snowflake -- and even the rain is down (more sun). Up until relatively recently they did not use road corrosives but now, in the nearby mountains, they do drop chemicals and in Southern Oregon, when crossing over the mountains between OR and CA, they drop a lot.

Several years ago I went through some orange stuff on the Oregon side coming in from CA and it really got my pipes pretty rusty. And if the Pdx area forecast does include snow they'll sneakily put down some corrosive road chemicals. I say sneakily because Pdx in particular, collectively anti-chemicals ala pro-environment, and always anti-salt, is losing ground to that stuff.

In decades past what they did use out here is crushed cinder (volcanic area) and sometimes sand. But those chemicals are edging in.
luVWagn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

insyncro wrote:
The Syncro getting 19mpgs is a 91, bone stock, tuned by me of course, running 215/75/15 Nokians.
It has been getting full tanks of either Sunoco 93 or PitStop 91 E free since I purchased it in Sept.

Curious why the 91 or 93 grade gas, for a regular old wbxr 2.1L engine? I thought you'd get the same mileage out of 87 or 89?
flomulgator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WestyBob wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong but I always had the impression you folks who live in regions where they used lots of salt and other corrosive juice usually keep your vanagons/syncros in storage until spring. Do some of you drive a dedicated syncro, like an old rusty, in winter or do you power wash underneath after every drive in the snow/ice/slush ?

I bought my syncro westy primarily for ski-camping, and Washington is quickly becoming a salt state. Entropy is the enemy, FeO2 is it's weapon, threads like this help us fight back.

My garage has no room for a show queen that has surrendered to fear Smile
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WestyBob wrote:

In the Portland (Pdx) area of Oregon we're having a warmer than usual winter so far -- nary a snowflake -- and even the rain is down (more sun). Up until relatively recently they did not use road corrosives but now, in the nearby mountains, they do drop chemicals and in Southern Oregon, when crossing over the mountains between OR and CA, they drop a lot.

Several years ago I went through some orange stuff on the Oregon side coming in from CA and it really got my pipes pretty rusty. And if the Pdx area forecast does include snow they'll sneakily put down some corrosive road chemicals. I say sneakily because Pdx in particular, collectively anti-chemicals ala pro-environment, and always anti-salt, is losing ground to that stuff.

In decades past what they did use out here is crushed cinder (volcanic area) and sometimes sand. But those chemicals are edging in.

You are correct, usually herein the northeast, the nice old cars are put away for the winter months. I'm driving my syncro through the winter because I want to test out the Quattro system in the snow, also the body is already not the greatest. I know Dylan has his nice syncros put away and is driving one he bought just to use for the winter season. The amount of salt combined with the damp air can destroy what was a nice old vehicle in just a couple years.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew and I are brave Cool

The conditions we see here in our area beg for a vehicle with the traction of our beloved vans.

I am testing all sorts of goops, waxes, greases...driveline parts, tires and constantly working on my driving skills.

Andrews Quattro Syncro is an amazing piece of work...on pavement, offroad and in varying conditions.
Our weather is what has lit a fire under us so to speak.

Yes, my keepers are under van covers and stored inside.

The parts vans are stored outdoors.

My current winter van:

It is actually pretty nice by current standards, my opinion, and the driveline has very low mileage.
It will receive a full restoration at some point, but now it is driven and enjoyed.
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luVWagn wrote:
insyncro wrote:

Curious why the 91 or 93 grade gas, for a regular old wbxr 2.1L engine? I thought you'd get the same mileage out of 87 or 89?

They run better, my opinion.
Plenty of conflicting info on the interweb for ones reading pleasure on the subject and I am certainly not trying to throw gas on a fire, sorry for the pun.

I have also sent random gasoline samples away over the years to have tested.

I use Sunoco or Mobil gas if available and run ethanol free fuels in all of my toys, equipment, and now a few of the vans with tuned engines that I have made a few modifications too...along with trick parts from Rocky, TenCent, GW...I feel a difference.
alaskadan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heck yeah im driving this thing year round! We'll fight the good fight and im gonna drive it into the ground! Lovin every minute of it. Very Happy Then ill buy another body tranfer all the goodies and do it again. I dont think one could fully enjoy a syncro only driving it in the summer. Ive just begun to get to know a syncro, wish i had gotten one sooner. And its fricken raining here too. Though i dont miss my snow shovel.
Birdcage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been driving the wife's rig with NOKIAN rotiivas for the past week in snow, ice.

I do not recommend them.
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Birdcage wrote:
I've been driving the wife's rig with NOKIAN rotiivas for the past week in snow, ice.

I do not recommend them.

that makes sense, be careful, it says its a Summer tire:
http://www.nokiantyres.com/summer-tyres/nokian-rotiiva-at/
I hate summer tires in the snow, too

heres a WRC Van winter nokian, which also works in the summer
http://www.nokiantires.com/winter-tires/nokian-wr-c-van/

and a summer Rotiiva, which does not work in winter, because instead it has special harder rubber to make it get more lifetime miles.. its a trade, winter awesomeness or super long miles

bluefirefly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon_slider wrote:
Birdcage wrote:

I do not recommend them.

that makes sense, be careful, it says its a Summer tire:
I hate summer tires in the snow, too

heres a WRC Van winter nokian, which also works in the summer
http://www.nokiantires.com/winter-tires/nokian-wr-c-van/

and a summer Rotiiva, which does not work in winter, because instead it has special harder rubber to make it get more lifetime miles.. its a trade, winter awesomeness or super long miles

This is my problem with Nokian!

Jon linked a "european" site, look at the site address carefully, it is for tyre with a Y where they call the Rotiiva a summer tire!

Now, if you look at this following address from a North American website, you will see tire (with a I) and indeed, they call the Rotiiva a winter tire..... with Severe Service Emblem..... what a joke.
But hey, you can go anywhere you want, even if a Winter tire is mandatory on the road!

Here is the Rotiiva winter......NA:
http://www.nokiantires.com/winter-tires/nokian-rotiiva-at-2/

Here is the Rotiiva summer....EU:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 6 of 10

Jump to: