Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

PIRATE - [email protected] - Adam Jones
Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Viewing feedback for: PIRATE
Email: [email protected]
Last Visited: April 08, 2024
The Maple Bar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:44 pm    Post subject: PIRATE - [email protected] - Adam Jones Reply with quote

His ad for the "Hightop Syncro - Cheap" is dishonest and misleading. I would not recommend buying anything from this guy.

I sent him an email, asking if I could send him a $1,000 refundable deposit on the van. He accepted the offer, deposited my check and setup a day to meet. When I got there, and was able to check out the van, it wasn't what he had listed in this ad.

-It's an 86, not an 87.
-He knew the odometer was disconnected the entire time he owned it, which included a drive from the California coast to new mexico and back.
-Both heads haven't been replaced, maybe only one had.
-He said he had a new water pump, but it was leaking profusely when I test drove the van
-He didn't mention that the drive shaft guard rails had been badly smashed in, bending the original drive shaft and causing other potential problems with the front dif. This is why he hasn't put the drive shaft back in, he doesn't want potential buyers feeling any vibrations.
-Since the drive shaft is disconnected, I couldn't test the VC.

I ended up getting my deposit back from him, which is what we agreed upon, and drove away. I contacted him about a week ago and told him he should update his ad because it was dishonest and misleading. He still hasn't updated the ad, which is why I'm letting other samba members know.

I'll attach our email conversation below the ad. Here's the final email I sent him:

From David (me)
You're being dishonest with the samba ad.

-It's not an 87.
-Doesn't "drive great" b/c it's leaking coolant. You haven't updated this on the ad.
-Both heads have NOT been redone. You haven't updated this on the ad.
-You knew the odometer was disconnected when you drove to New Mexico and back. Used car salesman move.
-There's no way to check that the VC is "good" b/c the drive shaft is disconnected.
-You didn't mention the drive shaft guard was smashed. Which could mess up the front dif.

That's called being dishonest. And I wasn't disrespectful to you and your family, you expected to spend a lot of time explaining the situation to me. This is why you wanted me to come early. You even said that yourself. You're just being combative. It's not over my head. It's over priced and the ad was misleading, which is why I walked away. You said you had a lot of people contacting you... the ad is still up on the samba.

This is my last email to you. If you update your ad accordingly, I won't post on the samba. I respect that community, and its a shame you are trying to take advantage of the people on it. If you have had 30+ vans before, you wouldn't make mistakes like writing 87 instead of 86.

More of the conversation is below.

Here's what the ad said:

------------------------------
Here is my pipe dream up for sale.
Was going to build this van and go to South America but kids and life and to many projects
1987 Syncro with northamerican high top
Non locker
Vicious works great
Dries great
2.1 l VW engine runs and drives

Brand new paint
Heads on engine have been redone
Lots of new parts not installed:
Gowesty lift springs
Brand new drive shaft
5 New bfg all terrain tires
Lt mirrors
Lots of parts and to much to list but it's a deal if your a mechanical person
Or want a half price Syncro

Now the bad:
Interior is out of the van
I converted it from a hard top to camper
Have grey Westy sink cabinet with fridge stove and sink
Have bed and cabinet.
Have front seats
Grey carpet and insulation
Have the windows and power skylight for top just not installed

Also have a Subaru engine if interested 2.2 obd1
------------------------------

Email conversation:

From David (me)
I noticed you have been reposting the syncro on the samba and wanted to see if you would be open to lowering the price. I was set on buying your van, which is why it was so hard to walk away from the offer.

I like that it's a hightop, it's dry and has fresh paint. I didn't like the fact that the odometer was disconnected on purpose (don't know how old the tranny is), the driveshaft was disconnected (can't test the vibes or the VC-$1,000 part), the water pump or water jackets were leaking ($3,500 fix if it's the water jackets) and it doesn't have lockers.

It's not an 87, which is what you keep posting, and it doesn't "drive great", because you would run out of coolant in a matter of minutes. You also said it had a brand new water pump, which probably wasn't the case. I get the fact that you have had a lot of vans pass through your hands, so it's hard to remember, but I also need to look out for possible problems.

Here's what I'm thinking:
-If you fix the water pump (removing the possibility of a water jacket leak)
-connect the drive shaft so I can test for vibes and test the VC
-you keep the westy rear seat, propane tank, westy cabinet and blue front seats

I'll take everything else, including the 15" tires. You don't need to reinstall the dash, I can do that. I'll also fix the smashed driveshaft guard.

You can then sell the westy setup for $700, the propane for $400 and the other random stuff on the samba.

I'll offer you around $x. I had already purchased and aux battery setup, inverter, SA mudflaps and more for the van before I came down to see it. Again, I wanted to buy it, but there wasn't any way I could test the most important parts of the van, and it was leaking coolant.

Anyways, I want to make this work, so get back to me if you're interested.

-David

From Adam (seller)
David,

You can buy the van as is or keep looking.
Adam

From David (me)

I'll keep looking. And just for the blunt reply, I'll explain the situation on the samba so others know you are being dishonest.

From Adam (seller)
David your silly about being dishonest I hadent pulled the van out in a year I told you something was leaking and I didn't know what it was. Figured it out and the van already has a new water pump. But if you think I spent 6 hours with you and was not honest about anything. I thought you were disrespectful to me and my family for wasting my Saturday. I think the project is over your head and I don't want to sell the van to you because of that.
Good luck on your search
Adam

Also I gave u ur deposit back I shoulda kept it as it's a deposit to hold something and I keep it if you back out.

From David (me)
You're being dishonest with the samba ad.

-It's not an 87.
-Doesn't "drive great" b/c it's leaking coolant. You haven't updated this on the ad.
-Both heads have NOT been redone. You haven't updated this on the ad.
-You knew the odometer was disconnected when you drove to New Mexico and back. Used car salesman move.
-There's no way to check that the VC is "good" b/c the drive shaft is disconnected.
-You didn't mention the drive shaft guard was smashed. Which could mess up the front dif.

That's called being dishonest. And I wasn't disrespectful to you and your family, you expected to spend a lot of time explaining the situation to me. This is why you wanted me to come early. You even said that yourself. You're just being combative. It's not over my head. It's over priced and the ad was misleading, which is why I walked away. You said you had a lot of people contacting you... the ad is still up on the samba.

This is my last email to you. If you update your ad accordingly, I won't post on the samba. I respect that community, and its a shame you are trying to take advantage of the people on it. If you have had 30+ vans before, you wouldn't make mistakes like writing 87 instead of 86.
--------------------------------

Avoid this guy if you can, especially if you are buying one of his vans. He has a couple other vans up on the samba. Hope this is helpful and informative for other samba members.

-David
PIRATE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David
As I said before this van is a total project it has need sitting for about 1 year. I did not hide anything from you. I answered all of your questions honestly and I spent an entire Saturday showing you a car. It was to big of a project for you it's 24 years old !! You then Contacted me again and I said no to your low ball offer, it made you angry then you threatened to leave poor remarks about me in the samba which you have done. The van wasn't for you. Best of luck to you on your search but also go pound sand
1964 vespa vbb 150
1973 vespa sprint
2005 toyota tacoma Ole reliable
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Also I gave u ur deposit back I shoulda kept it as it's a deposit to hold something and I keep it if you back out.

Once you read a seller writing something like this, you know they don't have a clue and you don't want to do business with them. Notwithstanding the 10 year old text talk and spelling errors in the ad.

You don't get to keep peoples' money for them to come look at your car, in any condition.
BlueGrasser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Quote:

Once you read a seller writing something like this, you know they don't have a clue and you don't want to do business with them. Notwithstanding the 10 year old text talk and spelling errors in the ad.

You don't get to keep peoples' money for them to come look at your car, in any condition.

It also doesn't help hearing from the manufacturer of the hightop that this seller did not even fully pay for it. Certainly lots of red flags building up on this seller. It's unfortunate because that van appears to have lots of potential, but I for one would want to deal with someone that I had confidence in their integrity. Let's hope he changes course and makes right of his debts and corrects any misleading descriptions.
J Charlton Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:47 pm    Post subject: deadbeat seller Reply with quote

I think its really unfortunate that one of our hightops is on that van. Over the years that I have been providing hightops I have dealt with a lot of folks and have been able to be flexible in terms of making arrangements for payment, timing etc. I've only been disappointed once - by the seller of this van - there is still $$$ outstanding from his purchase of the top more than 3 years later. Lots of promises to pay up etc etc etc -
I have saved all of the email string back and forth between us - long and short of it is that he was not truthful with the distributor WRT to being fully paid up when he arrived on short notice to pick up the top - I was without access to my records at the time - he, "Pirate" knew he owed $$$ and misrepresented his status to the distributor. He acknowledges that he owes $$$ on the top and vent that he took, it appears that he doesn't feel it is important to actually do what says he will do.
It took a while until I resolved that one rotten apple shouldn't spoil the bunch - I have since trusted several folks who have had unusual situations and all have proven to be completely trustworthy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
J Charlton Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:26 am    Post subject: re hightop purchase Reply with quote

In all fairness WRT the above post and the $$ outstanding on the purchase of the hightop, it is only fair to note that "Pirate" has now completely fulfilled his purchase of the top through a paypal transaction last night.
I feel that the entire incident has been unfortunate and wish "Pirate"all the best in terms of of doing what he has to do to establish himself as a valued member of the Samba community.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: