Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Leaks on fill up
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheMenace
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:18 am    Post subject: Leaks on fill up Reply with quote

I just got my 1980 Vanagon back on the road, so I go to a gas station to get some gas. I filled the tank, and when I went to get back in to drive away I noticed gas has been leaking. Eventually it stopped and the fuel gauge showed that it was full. I couldn't pinpoint the leak but I think its where the fill tube connects to the tank.

I would like to know if any of you nice people have had a similar problem and what you did to fix it.

What materials/tools should I get?

Should I replace the entire tank? If i can get a new one. I noticed in the old fuel filter a lot of rust color.
Home Team Van
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

check out any of the major vendors(Van Cafe, Go Westy,Bus Depot) as they all have fuel tank reseal kits. It wouldn't be a bad idea to clean the tank out while you're doing the reseal, probably don't need a new one. It's not a fun job but do it all once while you're there.

82 Diesel Westy
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, if you haven't already... Don't forget to replace ALL your fuel lines. It's kind of a mantra around here... and for good reason Shocked
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not a fan of the reseal kits many folks sell as I found that the hoses used for the overflow tanks where not the lined type of hose, which is a critical thing with the new fangled government mandated corn based gasoline that is forced on us (thanks to Congress and the corn farmer lobby)

I would replace all the overflow hoses with lined SAE 30R9 hoses, I recall 1/4 inch hose will work, IF you use a quality hose clamp (the 1/4 inch hose is a bit looser than the metric stock size, but it does work with a clamp) My fuel leaked with the tank was full form the overflow hoses.

for rusty filter, replace filter, and best to drop the tank and clean it out, replace if extensively rusted.

for all hoses use SAE 30R9 hoses, NOT the older unlined 30R7 hose 5/16 inch hose works for the bulk of the hoses (except the afore mentioned overflow tank hoses) Some vans have a large diameter hose from tank to filter, I think it was 5/8 inch or so (memory not too good on this one) I got that large diameter hose at a marine store, as I could not find that diameter at the usual autoparts stores.

If you use lined hoses the chances are good the hose will outlive the van, the lesser unlined hoses will fail with todays mandated gasoline, you need lined hoses these days for long hose life. 30R9 is lined 30R7 is not, 30R7 used to be acceptable, but todays gasoline precludes its use.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: