Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Dreaded fuel filler neck replacement
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nater'D wrote:
Also where can I get those little pads that go under the gas tank?
thanks

I've made these up from the thick self-stick pads that are sold for furniture feet. Sometimes you can find a largish pad made for custom cutting a piece. In fact, this seemed fairly close to the original stuff.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pittwagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It's all explained here:

Right. Forgot about that and yes I had read it. Gray moment!!

I followed the instructions and have the new neck seak and hose between the tank and long filler pipe installed. I picked up a new neck seal from CIP1 - new batch. The rubber appears to be about the same thickness and dimensions as the original. Tight fit though with the California restrictor plate installed (bottom where the gas station filler nozzle goes in). I suspect all the new ones are like that. So one needs to be careful when filling up and not ram the gas nozzle into the small restricted space as the filler nozzle rests on the edge of the neck seal. I can see how these would break apart over time if a person was not careful with how the nozzle was placed in the filler pipe. There is no support for that long filler pipe to hold it rigidly in place. The only thing that hold it in place is about 1/8" of rubber on the neck seal and the outer retaining ring. Ram the nozzle in and you are pushing on the back of the metal filler pipe and putting stress on the neck seal.

Metal filler pipe was clean as a whistle. Replaced all the vent line hoses as well. So it's on to the next challenge with this bus.
curtis4085
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

patayres wrote:
I ordered the filler neck originally from Bus Depot and it was NOT the same as the one I ended up using from Bus Boys... smaller size, thinner walls... just felt cheap. The Bus Boys filler neck is the way to go.

Do not use busdepot fuel filler neck.. I got one put it on and it just felt cheap so I ordered one from bus-boys.com and its the real VW deal. Only get it from bus-boys.. these guys only buy quality
Mal evolent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the fuel hose to get:

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/GAT0/2471...;ppt=C0075

Gates - Molded Gasoline Filler Neck Hose, Part Number: 24718
2 1/4 Inch x 14 5/8" x 90 Degree (20 PSI)

Baja Bugs for Volkswagen Virgins: Index
curtis4085
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mal evolent wrote:
the fuel hose to get:

do tell more. I have yet to see this before. Will it fit the 79 Westy. This is to replace the slightly curved fuel hose connecting to gas tank. Im confused and in need of picture/diagram

are we talking about #6 on diagram

http://www.ratwell.com/technical/FuelHoses/09-FuelBreatherHoses.jpg

ANy body else seen where or what year this would be used for
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

curtis4085 wrote:
Mal evolent wrote:
the fuel hose to get:

do tell more. I have yet to see this before. Will it fit the 79 Westy. This is to replace the slightly curved fuel hose connecting to gas tank. Im confused and in need of picture/diagram

are we talking about #6 on diagram

http://www.ratwell.com/technical/FuelHoses/09-FuelBreatherHoses.jpg

ANy body else seen where or what year this would be used for

The hose would be better suited for the earlier buses 68-74??? which used a bent hose on the filler pipe verses the bent metal pipe. Cool that someone found this, hope it works well.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pittwagen wrote:
Quote:
It's all explained here:

Right. Forgot about that and yes I had read it. Gray moment!!

I followed the instructions and have the new neck seak and hose between the tank and long filler pipe installed. I picked up a new neck seal from CIP1 - new batch. The rubber appears to be about the same thickness and dimensions as the original. Tight fit though with the California restrictor plate installed (bottom where the gas station filler nozzle goes in). I suspect all the new ones are like that. So one needs to be careful when filling up and not ram the gas nozzle into the small restricted space as the filler nozzle rests on the edge of the neck seal. I can see how these would break apart over time if a person was not careful with how the nozzle was placed in the filler pipe. There is no support for that long filler pipe to hold it rigidly in place. The only thing that hold it in place is about 1/8" of rubber on the neck seal and the outer retaining ring. Ram the nozzle in and you are pushing on the back of the metal filler pipe and putting stress on the neck seal.

Metal filler pipe was clean as a whistle. Replaced all the vent line hoses as well. So it's on to the next challenge with this bus.

Is CIP1 selling a California neck? In the past all the necks were the 49 state neck and the only legal solution was to find the metal filler that had the restrictor built in because the bird beak style was not available. I was lucky enough to find a California restrictor through Avery but the bus originally had a bird beak in it. The beak normally splits and the ring falls into the tank (where I found it).

All photos from Samba

California Restrictor plate (hard to find)
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Standard plate

Bird beak style filler

AndyWehmeyer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamesdagg wrote:
It's a little hard to get it clamped at the right angle. I found it easier to remove the length of pipe from the tank to the filler neck without disturbing the boot. Then install the new boot at the same angle and replace the pipe.

jim

^^ This.

Seriously, if you have the tank firewall removed, the access hole cover removed and the ECU pulled out, this is a 15 minute job. I just did mine and was surprised how easy it was.
pittwagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
Quote:
Is CIP1 selling a California neck? In the past all the necks were the 49 state neck and the only legal solution was to find the metal filler that had the restrictor built in because the bird beak style was not available. I was lucky enough to find a California restrictor through Avery but the bus originally had a bird beak in it. The beak normally splits and the ring falls into the tank (where I found it).

CIP1 sells the 49 state version. The quality is ok but not as heavy duty as the originals. I am very careful how I put the filler nozzle into to the opening. Ramming it in there would, I think, break the rubber filler neck in short order.

I have never seen the bird beek version. I did have the metal restrictor outer filler in mine when I bought the van a year and a half ago. My 79 van has the CA emissions. Having said that I believe the filler neck had been replaced at least once before. I also replaced the metal restrictor outer filler with the 49 state version as it is easier to get gas into the tank. We don't have the rubber collar around the filler nozzle here in BC.
70Crew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quick update to this topic in case anyone runs into the same issue I did. I initially used a traditional fuel filler hose to install my tank in my crew cab. I don't have a photo of it installed but here it is prior to installation.

Once I had it in the truck, the hose had a "kink" in it. It probably would have worked but I would have been left worrying that the kink would somehow impede flow or trap fuel. I finally decided to swap it out for a flexible hose, which seems to have done the trick. Here is a photo of the installed hose showing the smooth bend. This is the Gates 2 1/4" flexible hose. FYI, when I measured the metal neck I thought it was going to be too tight. While it was a snug fit it went on without too much cussing and now I feel like it will stay put. This stuff is not cheap.... about $30 per foot..... but 1 foot was more than enough.

curtis4085
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

70Crew wrote:
Just a quick update to this topic in case anyone runs into the same issue I did. I initially used a traditional fuel filler hose to install my tank in my crew cab. I don't have a photo of it installed but here it is prior to installation.

Once I had it in the truck, the hose had a "kink" in it. It probably would have worked but I would have been left worrying that the kink would somehow impede flow or trap fuel. I finally decided to swap it out for a flexible hose, which seems to have done the trick. Here is a photo of the installed hose showing the smooth bend. This is the Gates 2 1/4" flexible hose. FYI, when I measured the metal neck I thought it was going to be too tight. While it was a snug fit it went on without too much cussing and now I feel like it will stay put. This stuff is not cheap.... about $30 per foot..... but 1 foot was more than enough.

Looks like a solid job!!

If I may ask. What was your process for cleaning and painting your tank,, please elaborate... Colors, vendors used, process and time involved, did you reuse your old felt strips or replace, if so where did you find replacements??
70Crew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy to share, although it may take me a day or two to write something up. I did this last year so I'll need to look back and document specific resources used. More to come....
70Crew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interior: I used the POR-15 gas tank restoration kit.

Exterior: I am 95% sure that I used Duplicolor Engine enamel with ceramic, Ford Gray. It was a good match for the existing tank color. The paint is supposed to be resistant to auto fluids and heat, and the ceramic additive should help with durability. If everything goes well, none of those hazards should be an issue, right? Regardless, it turned out looking like OEM.

Pads: I actually re-purposed a felt moving blanket to make the pads and then used 3M adhesive to keep them in place. I’m not sure what the original pads were made of but this replacement material was a great match, both in looks and function. Looking online, I’d think something like this would be similar:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-x-3-Eco-Comfort-Felt-Rug...4188a98894
AudioFanatix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here was my fix. Holds up great, no leaking apparent.

Thrasher22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^ I used the exact same stuff and kicked myself for not taking pictures. 6 months later it's still holding up great!
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

68-73 trucks are the same as 68-73 buses fuel filler neck right? It was only '74 that they split the buses and trucks filler neck?

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

68-73 truck is the same as 68-71 bus, bus fillers got wierd in 72 when they moved it back so the sliding door could be opened when gassing up.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: