Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Heat exchanger to heater box? tube?
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fredrok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:23 pm    Post subject: Heat exchanger to heater box? tube? Reply with quote

I'm unable to find any parts reference at all in the Bentley after the heat exchangers. I'm also unable to find any parts reference for a tube that would run between the exchanger and the heat box(?) I have some cheesy tubes on there now around 5" long that don't fit the ends properly. The exchanger is 60mm and the box downstream in the picture is 64mm.

Seems all that is offered in the parts world is the longer plastic flex tubes as in the picture. I could get 2 of those to elimnate the "boxes" altogether with ends that fit properly (60mm-50mm-body tube size) but is that the method most are going with? Seems if I could get the proper flex tube, I'd just stay with the original boxes but I haven't found an appropriate flex tube yet.

Anyone have ideas they care to share? Do you have a solution for the 5"ish 60mm to 64mm flex tube I seek or just pick up a couple of the newer flex tubes in the appropriate size and be done with the boxes?

Thanks for your input.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out the "Type 2 Parts Reference Manuals" here:

http://oacdp.org/

Loads of exploded diagrams and descriptions. Have used the info there for part numbers for use in internet searches to locate and buy parts.

Full index is easier to use than the quick index.

Heater tubes came in only 60 and 50 mm sizes.
Fredrok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't believe I spaced and forgot about using the OACDP resource. Thanks so much for directing me there.

So, the "box" is actually a heater muffler and you're correct, 50mm or 60mm only. Makes sense since early exchangers were 50 and late 60. If both ends are the same diameter (and I don't know), then I wonder how they fit over the 64mm muffler ends. It's a 211255715B which is no longer available so it seems folks are going with flex exhaust pipe, etc. which still leaves one with a mismatched end issue.

Maybe most are replacing the muffler altogether with the insulated, longer plastic tubes and calling it a day?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you get the flexible pipe that's smooth (no octagonal crimps) it can be unwound/wound to larger or smaller diameters by twisting it.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Fredrok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks BD. Yea, after some research it looks like that's my only option if I keep the mufflers. Replacing them with the plastic tubes frees up some space in that area and eliminates 2 connections. I think I'd go that route if I could locate a pair of NOS German 60mm/50mm tubes as the aftermarket ones look like shit on the inside. Just some fiberglass insulation thrown in and "held" in by a wire someone yanked out of a radiator flex hose while reducing the ID cross section by 50%.
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The VW solution for mismatched heater boxes and VW is an adaptor which converts the 50mm to 60mm.
Here it is with late heater boxes in a 63 SC:

For the quick and cheap fix, I have put the end of a paper hose inside the large tube, and duct taped it in place.
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Needed heat in a hurry and had a muffler shop make some adapters and used the paper hose. In 17 years of secondary use I have had to replace the tube 2 times. Don't mind the leaky boot, that has been repaired.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fredrok wrote:
Maybe most are replacing the muffler altogether with the insulated, longer plastic tubes and calling it a day?

I would say yes.

The heater muffler makes things a bit quieter though as it dampens some engine noise, use it if possible.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ToolBox wrote:
Needed heat in a hurry and had a muffler shop make some adapters and used the paper hose. In 17 years of secondary use I have had to replace the tube 2 times. Don't mind the leaky boot, that has been repaired.

This works too.

Suggestion: Add an insulating wrap around that to minimize heat loss.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clara wrote:
The VW solution for mismatched heater boxes and VW is an adaptor which converts the 50mm to 60mm.
Here it is with late heater boxes in a 63 SC:

Tip:
I have seen a couple people say they had a local muffler shop make these adapters up for them.
Krustybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used these a couple of times. Works well.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=842818

Use 60mm mufflers/tubes on your 60mm heater boxes. Connect to 50mm early bus.
Fredrok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome, thank you all. This is exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for. I have a JOGR heater wrap kit that I'm finally getting around to installing and realized last night that it includes the pieces to wrap the short flex hoses between mufflers and boxes. I guess I'll reuse the flex pieces that I already have, hose clamp on the box side where they're slightly loose and wrap them to keep the stock setup and look.

Realistically, that will probably be the end of that but I'm going to keep my eye out for some NOS German hoses either 60-60 or 50-50 at a good buy and get adapters that Clara or Krusty pointed out.

I also got a PM that Skinner may have some good quality repop hoses and may check that lead as well.

Thanks all.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fredrok wrote:

Realistically, that will probably be the end of that but I'm going to keep my eye out for some NOS German hoses either 60-60 or 50-50 at a good buy and get adapters that Clara or Krusty pointed out.

Why get both? Confused
Fredrok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Fredrok wrote:

Why get both? Confused

Meaning I may like to go with the cleaner install if I happen across the right parts at the right price someday but once I put it together the way it is now (with mufflers), I'll probably (realistically) be too lazy to bother changing it anyway.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: