Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

At what point do splits no longer get cut up?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GTV wrote:
thom wrote:
How long until people stop tubbing/narrowing/raising steering boxes and all that crap?

How about why do the "stock" guys have this douchebag attitude? Custom guys can appreciate a well restored or preserved original car as much as a similarly executed custom.

joshbuchan wrote:
Cause their shit doesn't stink don't you know? they can hide behind a Keyboard running their mouth wishing they had enough fab skills to pull off a fraction of what they're bitching about Rolling Eyes so god damn sick of reading posts like that on this site! 99% of those mods can be put back to stock just as easy as fixing the rusty shit that was hacked out!

I'll respond:
As a mostly stock guy, it only bothers me if someone hacks up a perfectly decent Bus.
If the Bus was rusty and needed welding all over anyway then it's not a big deal - that's just one more thing that got welded on that Bus and putting it back to stock is just even more welding.

Although...
I am 100% sure there are decent original Buses that have had tubs hacked into them. Can I post an example off the top of my head? No.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwinnovator wrote:
yes, it is. however, I first posted it for sale in September. Lots of inquiries, no one willing to travel or pay shipping.

Pics are mainly for "browsers" and tire kickers. vw ppl know what a panel bus is and the statement VERY RUSTY is self explanatory.

seriously interested ppl will email and ask for a pic and they do.

couldn't tell you how many bay windows I've cut and parted and tippled/quadrupled what my asking price whole was, but this may be my first split window to go that route.

I think you need to rethink your selling strategy.
eddiemoney
East Coast Scavenger

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

norcalmike wrote:
I was thinking this morning, with Split prices rising faster than ever lately; at what point do they stop getting cut up for parts?
Even the wrecked panel camper I had went to someone that would eventually save it rather than me chopping it myself.
With all the repro metal available, are we reaching that point?
I have seen some pretty amazing revivals of buses that wouldnt have gotten a second chance 5-6 years ago.
Thoughts and predictions?

campingbox wrote:
I think we may already be there.

I agree if buses like this are being saved then the days of cutting up buses is long gone.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

but i think cutting up one bus to save 2 or 3 or 4 is okay. as long as that one that was cut up is better served as a donor. remember not every piece of a bus is being reproduced..yet. Cool

instagram im_eating_pizza
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^^ Barndoors will always be an exception.

I don't see that happening for a 66 13 window.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwinnovator wrote:
yes, it is. however, I first posted it for sale in September. Lots of inquiries, no one willing to travel or pay shipping.

Pics are mainly for "browsers" and tire kickers. vw ppl know what a panel bus is and the statement VERY RUSTY is self explanatory.

seriously interested ppl will email and ask for a pic and they do.

couldn't tell you how many bay windows I've cut and parted and tippled/quadrupled what my asking price whole was, but this may be my first split window to go that route.
I will have to agree with Clara, people(including myself) usually skip over adds with no pics. Without a pic you have no idea what you are buying.
Unless you are selling something in super high demand or a rare bus/part. I'm sure you would still get interest in that case. But, the first question you will be asked is: "do you have any pics?"

The bay buses I will agree with you; I have had a difficult time selling complete undriving projects. You have to almost give them away to move them. It just made more sense to me to part them.

"When the people are afraid of the government, that's tyranny. But when the government is afraid of the people, that's liberty."
"Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God."

Thomas Jefferson
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
GTV wrote:
thom wrote:
How long until people stop tubbing/narrowing/raising steering boxes and all that crap?

How about why do the "stock" guys have this douchebag attitude? Custom guys can appreciate a well restored or preserved original car as much as a similarly executed custom.

joshbuchan wrote:
Cause their shit doesn't stink don't you know? they can hide behind a Keyboard running their mouth wishing they had enough fab skills to pull off a fraction of what they're bitching about Rolling Eyes so god damn sick of reading posts like that on this site! 99% of those mods can be put back to stock just as easy as fixing the rusty shit that was hacked out!

I'll respond:
As a mostly stock guy, it only bothers me if someone hacks up a perfectly decent Bus.
If the Bus was rusty and needed welding all over anyway then it's not a big deal - that's just one more thing that got welded on that Bus and putting it back to stock is just even more welding.

Although...
I am 100% sure there are decent original Buses that have had tubs hacked into them. Can I post an example off the top of my head? No.

QFT

Kinda along the line of how I think whenever someone says "pissing off the purists" or variations of that saying. 99% of the time, No you're not, purists don't care about your clunker or what you do with your rustmobile. Better to see one driving then rusting away in the woods
CaLiBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crofty wrote:

Don't hold your breath on that statement...
Small hatch buses are slowly becoming the new Barndoors here in California.

In my neighborhood alone I've seen locally a 15w, 23w, double door panel, 1 regular panel, 13 window and 2 bay windows running the streets here in my town alone. This was totally unheard of 5 years ago! People point and say " I want one!!" Plus I've seen the bug crowed now moving towards owning a bus. So folks dont kid yourselves. We've got jems in our garages and its only getting better Exclamation
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaLiBus wrote:
Plus I've seen the bug crowed now moving towards owning a bus. Exclamation

Funny , you never see that happening in reverse.

Erik G wrote:

Kinda along the line of how I think whenever someone says "pissing off the purists" or variations of that saying. 99% of the time, No you're not, purists don't care about your clunker or what you do with your rustmobile.

Yet the purist is a "douchebag" because he doesn't have the same superior taste as the Cutting Edge bolt-in Bro's. It's hilarious to me that about 90% of the outspoken Custom Bro's think tacking in a set of tubs, moving shock mounts and bolting in a beam and straight axle kit someone else made makes them the new Coddington.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CaLiBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crofty wrote:
CaLiBus wrote:

Haha.. As matter of fact! We just baptized a few at OCTO! I won't mention any names because I'm a nice guy Wink
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaLiBus wrote:
crofty wrote:
CaLiBus wrote:

Haha.. As matter of fact! We just baptized a few at OCTO! I would mention some names but I won't cuz I'm a nice guy Wink

I have heard a Guy that used to refer to us as "those Bus people" when talking about Bus owners is now looking for a Bus himself.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

SkooobaSteve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen more and more buses being saved that I wouldn't even think about touching. That being said in years to come a late split could be going through some of the treatment that the barndoors are having done. Lets face it the backyard finds are going to be gone before you know it.
Romans 6:13
WTB 67 beetle rear seat belts.
59 Euro ragtop build with my dad
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=493553&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
65 dlx Slow build
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=391061
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
M183kombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cut up enough buses 10-15 years ago I wish I'd saved that I don't think I'd cut up another one ever again...there always exceptions but I'd try harder (sell cheaper) to put a bus in someone's hands who thinks they can do something with it before cutting 1 up...I'd bet most bus folk with any kinda time under their belt regret cutting up at least 1 bus in the past...worst 1 I helped cut up was an OG paint d-mobile because it needed a new nose-I cut up at least 3 nice buses for that reason...
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M183kombi wrote:
I cut up enough buses 10-15 years ago I wish I'd saved that I don't think I'd cut up another one ever again...there always exceptions but I'd try harder (sell cheaper) to put a bus in someone's hands who thinks they can do something with it before cutting 1 up

Sadly there are a lot of people who argue that [whatever they're selling] has to get X price, because that's what it's worth if they part it out, or "I'll get more parting it out". That's fine for business, but a lousy ethic for an "enthusiast". Personally, I've let a lot of cars and trucks go for less than they might be worth, in parts or whole, but at least had the satisfaction of knowing they stayed together and got finished.. I've also chopped and scrapped some that nobody wanted, even at scrap value. Never felt good doing it though.
Red Fau Veh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny stuff! I cut up a nice bay and posted about it. 4 pages of hating and bashing later the thread was locked. Laughing
1961 Swivel Seat camper, L345 grey
Touch Nicks Thing wrote:
Swivel Seat panels are for people with no friends Crying or Very sad
Fredrok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Popcorn
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are "exceptions" alright. Say a bus that for some reason or another just cannot be registered, what then? Also, while yes, there are "new skin" supliers now, not every one can afford it and used panels may be cheaper to get. Or as an example, the first bus I cut up came out of an impound lot the day before it was to be sent into the crusher. The paperwork "claimed" it was a '65 though it was obviously a '62ish (lipped wells, outer vents, small hatch, ...). Another issue was the fact that I was about to move and had to do away with it with a quickness. Yet another issue was half of it held together with bondo and chicken wire. Confused

The thing came in on a Friday afternoon and had nothing but the rolling chassis by Monday night. The following weekend it was all gone! I have no regrets whatsoever about it and actually feel pretty good since most all of it went to save a number of other buses. Given that same situation today, or as stated "exception", I'd do it again. Cool
eddiemoney
East Coast Scavenger

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crofty wrote:

agreed.

Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

instagram im_eating_pizza
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWsArent4Hippies
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thom wrote:

Dude please, get off your high horse. I would much rather fix some tubbed seat pedestals than redo all the shitty metal work on your 23 Rolling Eyes Get a grip
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
norcalmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VWsArent4Hippies wrote:
thom wrote:

Dude please, get off your high horse. I would much rather fix some tubbed seat pedestals than redo all the shitty metal work on your 23 Rolling Eyes Get a grip

Lets play nice
marklaken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as someone is making high quality replacement metal, I doubt there is much economic demand for original bus metal.

I waited and waited and eventually bought some replacement original german wheel well metal. Once received, I decided it wasn't good enough so I ended up buying repro wheel well metal - the repro is much better than the original replacement metal I have. I could have saved myself a few bucks and a lot of wait time and just gone with the repro metal outright.

'65 rear left beetle fender

15" Bus Wheels in fair condition

Mark Laken
Fort Collins, CO
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: