Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Picking a vendor
Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:55 pm    Post subject: Picking a vendor Reply with quote

With all the posts about people getting inferior parts, damaged parts and sometimes no parts I thought i'd post some suggestions.

Know your vendor. Before you spend your hard earned money, do some research. Ask people who they use, if they are happy with the communications with the vendor. What about their customer service and their return policy? Do they have any warranty and is it actually work more than the paper it's written on.

Buying from the cheapest is not always the best. There's a reason they're cheap and it's not because they like you. They are either cutting cost on the quality of parts or have small staff when means minimal customer service and tech support. It's been said it's cheaper to do it right the first time than to have a parts break and then pay to replace it along with whatever collateral damage it caused.

If you do have a problem... contact the vendor. Give them a chance to resolve the problem. The better vendors have excellent customer service and should be able to help you resolve your problem. Keep all your emails for documentation.

Only post feedback when the problem has either been resolved or the vendor is ignoring you. Do not use the feedback topics to whine about your problem, it only makes YOU look like a whiner. Don't use the Samba to try to punish the vendor... they don't care. Just look at GEX. There's a sucker born everyday.

Here's a hint: The best vendors don't have big color ads in the magazines. They don't need to.

And remember this:
"You may not get what you pay for, but you always pay for what you get"

It's YOUR money... spend it wisely.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the above.

When posting negative feedback or if you are having issues with a seller, try to post an impartial account of what has happened, giving details as found in the How to leave feedback posting.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bill271
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very well written Glenn and to the point Very Happy good job
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will add this.... if you don't have a "dog in the hunt" so to speak then STFU and stay out of it. Lately there have been a lot of people jumping in these hot button topics about the big money rip off's etc.

When nothing constructive is added and it breaks down into BS and personal attacks and not suggestions on how to deal with or mediate the process then it's counterproductive and just ends up in a lot of clean up work for the moderators and administrators.

It might make for good "entertainment" for some to read but this forum is not
"entertainment tonight for VW buffs"

If you don't add something relative to the topic, expect it to be deleted.
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Just Jake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so can we have a list of good ones? because while i havent been hosed yet, i am less than satisfied.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just Jake wrote:
so can we have a list of good ones? because while i havent been hosed yet, i am less than satisfied.

Uh... the Samba does not officially endorse any specific vendors.

And just because a vendor/person has an free ad, featured ad, or a banner ad is not an endorsement.

You should read the feedback forum and post a question "who to get xyz from?" in the appropriate forum.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just Jake wrote:

Everyone is good, until they are proven not to be. Feedback may or may not indicate this but it helps you make a decision.

If you are less than satisfied with a particular transaction, you could leave feedback for the seller detailing your situation.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
If you are less than satisfied with a particular transaction, you could leave feedback for the seller detailing your situation.

After you've already tried to resolve it with the vendor.

Please do not use the Samba as a tool to bludgeon a vendor without first trying to resolve it first.

Vendors should have some sort of Customer Support mechanism be it a staffed dedicated group or the vendor them self. Give them a chance to resolve the issue before publicly bad mouthing them. It could backfire and make YOU, the buyer, look foolish.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
EverettB wrote:

After you've already tried to resolve it with the vendor.

Yes, this is critical.

It makes the buyer look bad if you come in here blasting them when you haven't first tried to get a resolution. Members will jump on you for this. Smile

In my experience, most people care about their reputation and will work with you.

Example:
I recently bought something that was represented as original when it was clearly a reproduction. We came to a resolution without me having to do anything but give them a reasonable solution to the problem - I paid full reproduction price (worth it to me because it's NLA now) and I even took off $20 for shipping (large item) because it was "shipping included".
dcnjoe60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Picking a vendor Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
With all the posts about people getting inferior parts, damaged parts and sometimes no parts I thought i'd post some suggestions.
<snip>
If you do have a problem... contact the vendor. Give them a chance to resolve the problem. The better vendors have excellent customer service and should be able to help you resolve your problem. Keep all your emails for documentation.

<snip>

I would like to add one more thing to your recommendations. If you are not sure of what you are ordering, contact the vendor before you order. Not sure product xyz will fit/work with your engine or car, ask before buying it instead of lamenting the purchase.

A lot of the vendor complaints I've seen here seem more that the buyer was upset with themself and taking it out on the vendor.
Keysbugy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:01 am    Post subject: Finding a reputable performance engine and transaxle builder Reply with quote

After going through a 10 month claim process for a custom frame, (shipper not builder) I have become very wary.

Thank goodness for the internet and TheSamba.com as I almost went blindly into the purchase of a "very colorful" turn key, high performance, engine advertised in Hot VW's.

Please help me get it right the first time.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: