Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

do the Military have smaller turn signals?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
gonebaby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:47 pm    Post subject: do the Military have smaller turn signals? Reply with quote

looking to see if the military 181's have smaller front turn signals? if so where can I get them? Thanks Rob
Ferretkona
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Military versions were usually on older pre73 bodies with smaller bases for the turn signals. 181's were built as early as 1968 I believe.
They also had the split windshield bus tail lights.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
el_safari
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:27 am    Post subject: Re: do the Military have smaller turn signals? Reply with quote

gonebaby wrote:
looking to see if the military 181's have smaller front turn signals? if so where can I get them? Thanks Rob

All 181's sold in Europe have smaller front turn signals with a special model for Italy .
Chrome on civilian , painted on military .
Small base for the turn signals on all the swing axle models .
Larger base on all IRS models .
If you don't find some you can PM me Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ratrodthing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smal base on the front fender have they from 1968-1969 Thing that are the frist things and very rare
but the 1968 are prototypes vw build 16 things

because the pruduktion from the munga was end and the german army Need new kurrier cars
from 1970 there have all Long base and
all things in europe have turnlights from the bug from 1963-1973 i know
and rear from the late split bus and first bays from 1963-1972

that i find
The VW Type 181 Kurierwagen is a military jeep, which was first produced in 1968 exclusively for the Bundeswehr. The model was produced until 1980 and sold alongside the German army also to other agencies as well as to private individuals. In Mexico, the Type 181 was built from 1970 to 1980 as a VW Type 182 Safari. In the U.S., the model by his nickname "The Thing" but became known as under his real name, so Volkswagen of America this as time goes by and in its advertising materials such as television advertising, posters and even the print catalogs used as an alias, without the actual model designation from Mexico to be deleted from their program. In Indonesia it was assembled from 1973 to 1980 VW Camat. In the export version for other right-hand drive countries there however as he rolled off the assembly line VW Trekker

The career of the courier truck began as a "stopgap". The German army had the problem that the production of the DKW Munga expired at the end of the 1968th As a replacement was developed jointly by France, Italy and Germany, the "European Jeep" planned, but this international project did not go beyond the planning stage.

When searching for an alternative, the choice fell on Volkswagen. The Wolfsburg-based group should construct based on the VW Beetle the necessary, limited off-road utility carts. In the construction that was developed for the VW based in Australia, 1967 Country Buggy presented, which was developed by Volkswagen engineers in the Australian assembly plant in Clayton Victoria [2]. Also driven the engineers at VW jeep that was used in World War II.

In September 1969, during the presentation at the International Motor Show in Frankfurt am Main, the VW 181 was found as a military vehicle in the style of the jeep, only slightly more modern, but bigger and heavier. The box-shaped body with four half doors was adapted to the use and the style of the time. With the sales name "courier car" should be a roll-call connection to the jeep of the Armed Forces should be avoided. Nevertheless, he quickly earned the nickname among soldiers "bucket".

The body was bolted to a central tube-frame platform (in this case was the change in various aspects of the platform Karmann Ghia Type 14 is used). Side members (sills) ensured the required torsional strength. Also with regard to many other components fell back on existing technology and robust handle. VW Beetle from 1500 of the air-cooled 1.5-liter 44-horsepower boxer engine, clutch, instruments, steering and the 40-liter fuel tank was taken. The gearbox and the rear axle came with Radvorgelegegetriebe, easily modified. Adjusted first of the 1967 Volkswagen Transporter

By the use of the countershaft gears on the rear wheels, the ground clearance is increased. Four drum brakes made for a sufficient delay. From the weather, the occupants were protected by an unlined all-weather canopy with a water resistant PVC cover and called Einsteckscheiben made of poly. The front could be folded forward and locked with two snaps

The interior was only heated by a heater, with the spare wheel under the front hood had its place. The two-stage adjustable front seats upholstered in durable synthetic leather. The rear seats fold down completely or could be shared, which created additional loading. Just one year after the performance of the vehicle in 1970 was a 1.6-liter engine is used. By a withdrawal of the compression of 1:7.5 to 1:6.6, the power of 44 PS remained unchanged, but allowed in use worldwide, the use of inferior fuels also. The transmission is fitted to the reduction gears a higher ratio, the top speed was thus increased to 115 km / h (before 110 km / h).

Major changes were made in 1973, the engine was sealed up and carried now at gleichgebliebenem Displacement 48 hp. The pendulum axis is replaced by a semi-trailing arm axle with double cardan shafts as in the VW 1302 / 1303rd A design with a combination of beetle that time current bus transmissions replaced the outdated countershaft design. The tire size was changed from 165 to 185 R 15 R 14. A fresh air heating replaced the obligatory heater in conjunction with large air intake slots above the rear fender, so the engine does not exhaust gases are sucked in and could not get into the interior (the same principle as with the Beetle). Military vehicles were the exception, in part because of additional costs, partly because of the heater and the military maintained exhaust system. The civilian version had a cross similar to type 1 pot

Priced the third beside VW Beetle and Karmann Ghia Volkswagen was open at a high level. Private customers had to pay for a 8500 DM spartan equipped vehicle. A limited slip differential cost DM 435 extra.

The German Army has ordered 15,275 vehicles of "Cars 0.4 t tmil 4 × 2" (cars, 0.4 tonne payload, teilmilitarisiert, four wheels, two of which are driven). These vehicles were delivered in the period from 1969 to end of 1979. Also at the Federal came in the vehicle the 1970s used mainly as patrol vehicle on the inner German border.

The production of "courier car" began in 1968 with 16 copies of the main plant in Wolfsburg. Until 1974, there were 57,574 units produced. Thereafter, the production was moved to the Volkswagen plant in Hanover. Hanover to 1975 left a total of 10,629 vehicles the tape. The last domestic manufacturing plant with 2,323 units of the Volkswagen plant in Emden (production end 1978) was. In America, the "courier car" with considerable success was expelled. 1970 and 1971 were known as CKD kits from Wolfsburg exported and assembled in the recipient country. From 1972, the VW Safari is built in Mexico. Imports from these production vehicles are seen at the oversized "Elefantenfußrückleuchten" like the VW Beetle 1303rd That came from the VW Safari in the U.S. at the beginning of the 1975th There was the newly adopted safety requirements for new vehicles do not meet the safari. However, it was in spite of the U.S. ban, making the sales figures dropped, continued to be produced in Mexico. In 1980 in Puebla, only 695 cars off the line. Then in the final assembly plant for the VW 181 production to 64,254 units has been set. In the period from 1968 to 1980 140,768 vehicles rolled off the production lines, which exceeded expectations at Volkswagen.

Some parts of the VW type 181 found after the cessation of production at VW Iltis use, such as the window frame. With modified hinges Verdeckspriegel, sun visors, windshield wiper motors and the window glass
GI Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:39 am    Post subject: Re: do the Military have smaller turn signals? Reply with quote

Hey Rob...
Check out my build thread. I used '63 bug turn signals up front. Obviously you'll still have the big light base on the fender, but it's not terribly obvious to most... Only real Thingers will notice.

I got mine from a local vw parts house, new for maybe $50???

Good luck!

gonebaby wrote:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8080337#8080337
www.NLEOMF.com
Respect, Honor, Remember
jjrannauro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some picts from Military 181

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

gonebaby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help guys.. it's appreciated. Im going to find a early set of turn signals to throw on those fenders. thanks again. Rob
Ron Domeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used the small lights from 67-69 on my purple car. With these you have a dual element light bulb and the light will cover all the holes on the fender.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GI Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ron Domeck wrote:
I used the small lights from 67-69 on my purple car. With these you have a dual element light bulb and the light will cover all the holes on the fender.

Ditto!!!! I think I said '63 earlier post.. '67 with dual fillament is correct! Thanks brother Ron!,,,
www.NLEOMF.com
Respect, Honor, Remember
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are the same lights I am collecting to put 5 on the front leading edge of my hard top as running lights and additional front turn signals. I am replacing the filament bulbs with LED units. Will be very sharp looking when i get them done.
gonebaby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kubelmann make sure you post pictures with the led's in ok
waxhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gonebaby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow waxhead thats actually how im making my thing.. color and all. great look man.
jeremyrockjock
Samba Towbar Builder

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am working on patch panels to make correct looking early fenders out of later ones since the early ones are impossible to find.

jeremyrockjock
Samba Towbar Builder

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

72 down style verses 73 up

GI Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice!! Cool
www.NLEOMF.com
Respect, Honor, Remember
el_safari
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice patch ! Cool
jjrannauro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeremyrockjock wrote:
I am working on patch panels to make correct looking early fenders out of later ones since the early ones are impossible to find.

Very nice! Good job Smile!
Dimitrios
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work.
I have more than 10 sets of early signal front fenders from ex army 181s as well...
jjrannauro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is The Military Thing Mexican Brochure. Enjoy

A brochure for some special equipment

Hellenic Navy VW 181 (Information taken from the forum Dastank.com)

The first example has Hellenic Navy registration number '254'. Note that is has air intake muffs. Rear view of '254'. It has the small rear lights, as fitted to all military production VW 181s.

The second example, number '278', lacks the air intake muffs. Note that '278' has the later 'elephant feet' rear lights. Military spec VW 181s normally have the small rear lights

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: