Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How to Fix Leak at Master Cylinder Grommet
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pOrk wrote:
KTPhil wrote:
If that grommet is under pressure, you have a clog somewhere between there and the reservoir cap bleed hole, which I doubt.

Why would that cause pressure under the rubber boot though?

Is it a fair assumption that the master is toast?

You can get backflow into the reservoir when the pedal returns, and especially as temperatures go up.

I can't say it is toast, but I'd probably take it apart and have a look, being careful of seals and using a brake lube on reassembly.
pOrk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not just back flow as I understand thats why their's a resivoir, it doesn't leak until I bleed the brakes. Once I bleed the brakes the rubber swells up from pressure and buldges like its ready to push out, and fluid comes out all around the rubber.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should get no pressure after the first few mm of pushrod travel. If you are getting backpressure, the MC seal or bore is damaged and leaking. Time to replce or rebuild the master.
pOrk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
You should get no pressure after the first few mm of pushrod travel. If you are getting backpressure, the MC seal or bore is damaged and leaking. Time to replce or rebuild the master.

Thats kinda what I figured, thanks for the help! Any suggestions as to which brand to go with?
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, but it isn't hard to replace the seals yourself. You just need to be careful with the seal lips and use a lubricant available at your FLAPS. The kits come up on the Samba classifieds and sometimes ebay. FLAPS tend to stay away for liability reasons (stupid as that may be).
bill may
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

L572 wrote:
I thought that the flat metal washer (with a somewhat oblong hole) was to act as a "spacer" to keep the grommet from forcing down and interferring with the small port that lets fluid into the piston area of the master cylinder? It seems that Bentley discussed this...at least in the 1200 manual.

L572

correct info.

1965 panel bus-Kermit
"Camping is cheaper than therapy"
www.sv2s.com
www.steeringboxscrapers.net
SBS #100
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=453617
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bill may
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i grab grommets from a vw rabbit at the boneyard. they are newer and are genuine vw parts. i also grab the resivoir to use for dual circuit upgrades if using german master. if aftermarket upgrade i use volvo as grommet hole is larger than german.

1965 panel bus-Kermit
"Camping is cheaper than therapy"
www.sv2s.com
www.steeringboxscrapers.net
SBS #100
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=453617
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wardvwracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:27 pm    Post subject: Leaking master cylinder - rubber plug Reply with quote

Came across this in researching my problem. Simply, brake fluid is leaking past the rubber plug.

I have a '64 with the single res. style master cylinder. Try as I may, I can't get the stupid thing to stop leaking. I've replaced the rubber plug 3 times and overnight the fluid will be down and the master cylinder is wet around the plug. I can't tell if its leaking at the tube or where the plug and master cylinder join.

Is there any sealer that can be applied that holds up to brake fluid???

I've seen different style of master cylinder on eBay that appears to use a later model plastic inlet. Check it out here:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Beck-Arnley-072-8024-New-M...27c561aa2b
Anyone ever used one of these? Do they leak???
1969 Beetle Convertible
63 11-Window Kombi Bus
Cornpanzers
Chris659
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same thing happen with 3 different Brazilian single circuit masters on my 61. I replaced it with a German dual circuit but haven't put the pedals back in yet to bleed brakes.

Would it have anything to do with the rod that connects the pedal to the master? It being too close and not allowing full travel? A mechanic adjusted mine and I don't know where it should be.

Can anyone post a picture of there's? 64 and down and preferably with a dual circuit mc.

I think it's 1mm of travel but where is that measured from?

Also, for those using a German dual circuit master, you can get a German resorvoir from old speed for $45 plus shipping. Fit perfectly and easily! Local vw dealer wanted $120 for the same thing!!!
Beryl Green
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:03 pm    Post subject: Leaking Grommet at Master Cylinder Reply with quote

pOrk "I wouldn't think so as its only for fluid to move from the reservoir to the master, why would it be under pressure? Is there a check valve inside the master that may have failed?"

Have the same problem at present. I'm thinking that maybe the Master has air in it and needs bench bleeding. Air then being pushed through the grommet at the top. Rob and Dave have some good info on Bench bleeding. I'm going to take the fuel tank out so I can do a good steady go at it and bleed the crap out of it with a new German grommet in place. See how it goes. Double checking, am I right, the single port grommet sits a few mm out of the master not flush?
50Split
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this is an old topic, but it came up in my search because I'm having the same problem. After reading I believe I have the cheap plug in my master cylinder. I'm going to order a German plug from Wolfsburg West and I believe this will solve my leak. The first plug was purchased from BAP.
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your master is toast I suggest replacing with a 67+ dual unit that doesn't leak Smile

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery
50Split
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grandpa pete wrote:
If your master is toast I suggest replacing with a 67+ dual unit that doesn't leak Smile

Nope, brand new. Along with the new plug that leaks.
vdubmyk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

50Split, I went through the same problem when I redid my brakes. I got a brake set from SoCal Imports and it came with the grommet. Chinese made at best. It leaked no matter what, I live 10 minutes away from them and got another from them. Same thing. Finally I went to wolfsburgwest and picked up two of their German ATE brand grommets just so I can have a spare and it's worked like a charm ever since. That was about 5 years ago. I even found a couple ATE grommets at an estate sale and bought those also. Best .25 cents I've ever spent.
COFFIN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2023 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: How to Fix Leak at Master Cylinder Grommet Reply with quote

I haven’t posted here in years and I realize I’m resurrecting an old post BUT, I wanted to share my experience with these master cylinder leaks. I recently replaced a dual mc in my 61 beetle - installing front discs. The rubber seal closest to the pedal assembly leaked all the fluid from that side of the reservoir over night. I twisted and pressed the plastic nipple in and refilled with the same results. SO, I pulled the nipple out and had a look (never a bad idea). These plastic parts have pretty significant CASTING FINS just like a plastic model car kit (I’m sure we all remember that). I carefully scraped w a razor blade and sanded the casting fins off so it was smooth/round and it FIXED the problem. The fins run the length of the part of the nipple that inserts into the rubber seal and fluid leaches out along the casting fins. Sounds a bit far fetched but worked for me. Try that out.

(Somebody smarter than me probably figured that out already)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: