Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Customizing the Quick-N-Easy rack
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jvan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:38 pm    Post subject: Customizing the Quick-N-Easy rack Reply with quote

http://www.nrs.com/product/3200/quick-n-easy-car-top-racks-set

They have a flat top and hole for a bolt.

Ideas for what i could fashion across?
Gizmoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superstrut
http://www.homedepot.com/b/Superstrut/N-5yc1vZ44i
Home Depot
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
newfisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Link supersucks
jvan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

after refreshing i got the link to work...

going to go check that out tomorrow. thanks for the idea. i had similar looking aluminum rails in mind, but those u suggested are stronger? you think two parallel across the top could support 200lbs?

Doing a google of "superstrut metal framing" gave me this photo...more ideas... Smile

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Customizing the Quick-N-Easy rack Reply with quote

jvan wrote:
Ideas for what i could fashion across?

what are you trying to accomplish other that what is suggested in the product description -

"For 1" tube cross bars use the Tube Holder, or just bolt a 2 x 4 to Q-N-E brackets to complete your rack. 48", 60" and 78" crossbars and other accessories available"

http://www.nrs.com/product/3210.3/quick-n-easy-tube-holder

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
rowan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use 2X4s...

89 Syncro - Juniper Mackenzie

09 Honda Fit - Finnie
17 Ram ProMaster - John Hordle
jvan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vanis,
I've considered using 2x4s....regular, pressure treated or stained...
And I realize they sell their own eye bolts each at about only $8...however their tubes are proprietary...each of those $20 (and having one review listing bending and rust problems). So with eye bolts $72. Price though still not bad. In the grand scheme of racks that's a great deal...with feet, total only about $140.
But we have the Samba. Lots of creative people on here. Thought I'd check in... perhaps leading me to better idea or one not requiring more $.

Uther,
How are they holding up?
buildyourown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a rack made from unistrut on my truck and some of it on my van. Works fine. I don't trust the clamps but I overkill stuff. If you can make you're own clamps it's better.
Strut as a cross bar works great to hold Yakima rocket boxes. They don't care what shape the bar is.
For bike trays and other accessories, you need a 1.125" dia bar. You can't get a strut clamp off the shelf that fits a 1.125 bar because they are sized for copper and black pipe and emt.
Gizmoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a strut rack I made with the strut bolted to the top edges. I never liked the look of the brackets bolted on the outside.

Inside the fiberglass are some fairly hefty wooden ribs running along each edge of the top. I put rectangular patches of 1/4" neoprene between the strut and the top where the bolts go through (three through each strut where the top is raised slightly). The bolts are 1/2" galvanized carriage bolts.
I also used stainless steel fender washers on the inside of the lid and nylock nuts as well.

The pipe clamps are machined from 1-1/2 X 3" aluminum with two stainless steel socked head caps crews in each. They go into two superstrut square nuts which slide inside the strut channel. The machined blocks are split on one side to allow them to clamp the tube. The struts are coated with truck bed liner - which is not as tough as you'd think.

The cross bars are 1" EMT galvanized conduit. Galvanized schedule 40 pipe would be much stiffer but this hold the kayak just fine. The white the caps are from Home Depot as well. They are the same caps you see on walkers - I call it the geriatric rack.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jvan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

buildyourown,
good info. thanks. How is the wind noise with a cargo carrier? Ive always assumed...sure some nosie with it being up there, but come to find online these can produce annoyingly loud noise?

Gizmoman,
great build! "The geriatric Rack." Very Happy Its more than what i currently need but some valuable intel in there.
The end caps... used these to eliminate noise?

voila...

I couldnt have been any happier with the ease that it all came together. Called several recycling yards and second use retailers, but only came to find untistrut sold as superstrut (same thing?) at home depot in 10' sections with two widths available. Shout out to my local blacksmith for making two 58" cuts on his bandsaw, putting the ends in line with the side of the van.
Seen in the photo i bent and bolted aluminum pipe straps around the feet lever to prevent release. A low security deterrent feature. Surely with the right tin snips someone could cut through, but gives some piece of mind. Surprised the quick-n-easy system hasnt developed some sort of locking mechanism for the feet.
At this point my only real complaint is the noise...once u hit about 40mph, at front right there is a low tone whistle. Needs slight adjusting or an end cap would eliminate this?
Rack is solid and blends well with the no paint roof Smile
Gizmoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet job.

Nothing beats function and simplicity and I like the look of the cast struts and the easy-on/off
zackalope
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These have been working great for me for a year and a half. Cross bars are square steel tubing (1.5 inch, because that's what they had). Holes drilled in one side of the tubing a short distance from the ends allow the cross bars to bolt on with the head inside the tubing and the bolt going through the hole on the top of the Quick-N-Easy. Holds a cargo box and a basket, seems plenty sturdy.

I don't have a picture that really shows the construction, but you can maybe infer it from here.

vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

re: Price as a reason to go this option

if you need one right now and have a good source I can see that.

An alternative would be watching Craigslist. Often the now antiquated A1 raingutter towers and bars come up for sale cheap since new cars can;t handle the rain guters. Often I see a1 towers $20 for set of 4 of $50 with bars. The advantage there is you have a standard loadbar that takes standard accessories well.

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jvan wrote:
At this point my only real complaint is the noise...once u hit about 40mph, at front right there is a low tone whistle. Needs slight adjusting or an end cap would eliminate this?
Rack is solid and blends well with the no paint roof :)

The noise might be from the entire bar or its placement. Try sliding it back a few inches and see if the noise changes. You might need to fab up a fairing like roof rack companies offer. I know it makes a big noise difference on my Saris rack if it's run with or without the fairing.
eeebee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jvan wrote:
after refreshing i got the link to work...

going to go check that out tomorrow. thanks for the idea. i had similar looking aluminum rails in mind, but those u suggested are stronger? you think two parallel across the top could support 200lbs?

Doing a google of "superstrut metal framing" gave me this photo...more ideas... Smile

Generically these are known as Strut Channels around here. There are a lot of accessories. I got the 1 5/8" sq channels with end caps. I added tie downs using threaded shoulder I-bolts.

McMaster Carr is convenient on the web: http://www.mcmaster.com/#strut-channel/=vl0swp

1987 Vanagon Wolfsburg Special Edition
GoWesty 2.3

Democracy is the recurrent suspicion that more than half of the people are right more than half of the time.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: