Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

ajay - [email protected] - Ajith
Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Viewing feedback for: ajay
Email: [email protected]
Last Visited: November 15, 2022
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:50 am    Post subject: ajay - [email protected] - Ajith Reply with quote

I replied to an ad for a Type 3 Parts Book:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1724997

The description in the ad:

Original Factory Parts Manual for Type 3 Models.
covers upto February 1971 models
in good used condition.Binder is intact.A real collectible for Type3 owners
has about 750 pages and is a heavy manual.
Includes rare information like production figures,M codes,Paint codes etc.
Will ship Worldwide by Registered Airmail.

I asked for photos of the dual carburetor section as both of my current books are missing pages from this section. I noted the description as 'good' and expected a decent, not perfect, book in return.

Dates for reference:

12 Dec 14: I sent payment via PayPal
20 Dec 14: Book was shipped
3 Jan 15: Book was received
5 Jan 15: I contact AJ regarding the contents expressing disappointment with missing pages, torn pages and pieces of some other pages.

What did I expect? A used book that had some worn/torn pages with a decent likelihood of missing pages but a respectable amount of useable pages. What I received is a nearly destroyed book with a lot of missing pages and what's not missing is severely damaged.

I will post up several additional photos of this book in the gallery very soon.

Photos of what I received can be seen here:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ajay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a samba member since 2007 and the first time I having to hear such a complaint from another respected member. There was some wear and tear to the manual due to aging and it was priced accordingly (USD99)
but I am sure that the pages shown in the photos by the buyer shocked me also.Something must have happened in transit !!
I contest your claim of lots of missing pages also
By the way why did it take 48hrs for you to respond (3rd jan to 5th jan ) if the manual was received in such a dilapidated condition
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ajay wrote:
I am a samba member since 2007 and the first time I having to hear such a complaint from another respected member. There was some wear and tear to the manual due to aging and it was priced accordingly
but I am sure that the pages shown in the photos by the buyer shocked me also.Something must have happened in transit !!
I contest your claim of lots of missing pages also
By the way why did it take 48hrs for you to respond (3rd jan to 5th jan ) if the manual was received in such a dilapidated condition

I did nothing to the book other than remove it from the package and watch pages fall out all over the floor.

You are claiming that pages magically destroyed themselves in a closed book in transit?

Your dishonesty is showing.
ajay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will be uploading the photos of the manual when it was with me.
I never ever accused you of doing anything with the manual
Only mentioned a probability that during customs/security check damage could have occured.
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ajay wrote:
I will be uploading the photos of the manual when it was with me.
I never ever accused you of doing anything with the manual
Only mentioned a probability that during customs/security check damage could have occured.

The box was never opened by Customs. Package was stamped as 'cleared' without being opened.
ajay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:38 am    Post subject: photos of TYPE3 parts manual Reply with quote

photos of the manual I sent

Now tell me who is being dishonest
These contains the pages this buyer was specifically looking at
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: photos of TYPE3 parts manual Reply with quote

ajay wrote:
photos of the manual I sent

Now tell me who is being dishonest
These contains the pages this buyer was specifically looking at

I did not buy an entire book for six good pages and you're a fool if you believe that's the case.

I have contacted PayPal to report a dispute/claim to report that the book was not received as advertised and as a result of the seller's unwillingness to resolve the matter amicably.
BGEE68 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Ajay, why don't you post pictures of the pages your buyer did...This would indicate who's being honest and who isn't!
ajay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BGEE68 wrote:
Hey Ajay, why don't you post pictures of the pages your buyer did...This would indicate who's being honest and who isn't!

Sir,Thanks for your suggestion.I would have certainly did that, but I was never expecting this issue in the first place.the manual has hundreds of pages and I had taken only about 10-12 photos of the manual .as you can see I had clearly said it is in ''good used'' condition in the ad.
One can see from the photos I have posted that the condition of the manual was nowhere near what it is now as depicted by the buyer
Now since he has taken it to paypal let them decide and I will abide by it.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My opinion:
I looked at the photos above and the photos in the original ad and I think there was a disconnect here.

Good used condition meant different things to different people and I am also guessing ajay did not inspect every page.

If the photos ajay posted above are the only photos sent and, looking at the original ad photos, they do not show any of the issues either then:
I think ataraxia has a valid issue.

It is not uncommon for a few pages to be beat up like that on a "good" condition manual.
As a seller, I would have at least shown the trashed section dividers and given some details that some pages were damaged, if I noticed it.
It looks pretty beat in the photos ataraxia posted - I do not think I would rated that as good myself.

Missing pages:
I cannot tell if pages are missing as it looks very thick and it's very difficult to tell if 5-6 or 10 random pages are gone from a 4" thick manual without a detailed inspection.

Original ad photos
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/pix/5975445.jpg
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/pix/5975446.jpg
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/pix/5975447.jpg
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/pix/5975449.jpg
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/pix/5975453.jpg
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I stated, I went back and not only took more photos but weighed the book against another book I have.

My other book is missing 30 pages in total. I know this because I went through the entire book, page by page, and counted/documented the pages so I'd know which to source in the future.

The photos ajay posted in his ad and posted in his reply are the ONLY pictures upon which I was able to make a decision. Turns out, they're the best part of the book.

I did not expect a perfect book. I did not expect and excellent book. I also did not expect a 100% complete book. BUT I also didn't expect to have 20+ pages fall out of the book, find corners of a missing page (nothing else exists of that page), 1/2 of a page, etc.

And to address my claim of missing pages? I weighed it against my other parts book which, as I mentioned, is missing 30 pages.

My existing book:

The book I received from ajay:

Notice that the difference in weight is nearly three quarters of a pound. There are a lot of pages missing beyond the 30 pages my other book is missing there are at least 50 more missing from this book.

I don't make up facts.

More photos:

There are additional photos in the gallery.

I DID NOT take pictures of all of the pages that are torn but complete, taped back together or have ratty edges. The photos I took are of pages missing pieces, torn out of the binder/ripped, etc.

IMO, a 'good' book has ratty edges and may have some torn-but complete-pages. It's par for the course with old books. I feel that's reasonable.

Last edited by ataraxia on Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ajay wrote:
BGEE68 wrote:

Sir,Thanks for your suggestion.I would have certainly did that, but I was never expecting this issue in the first place.the manual has hundreds of pages and I had taken only about 10-12 photos of the manual .as you can see I had clearly said it is in ''good used'' condition in the ad.
One can see from the photos I have posted that the condition of the manual was nowhere near what it is now as depicted by the buyer
Now since he has taken it to paypal let them decide and I will abide by it.

If you had been truthful about what you were selling-this entire thread wouldn't exist because I would not have bought the book.

Yes, the six pages you sent to me looked fine...big deal. If you're accusing me of altering the book in ANY WAY, you are wasting your time, I did nothing but open the book and reply to you about its condition as soon as I opened the package.

You offered a refund and then took that offer off the table. I have given you multiple days to make amends and you've chosen to accuse me of damaging the book, being dishonest, etc. These actions and accusations tell me that you're not going to do the right thing.

Your unwillingness to handle the situation like a respectable adult created the PayPal situation. I refuse to argue with an unreasonable person via the internet.
ajay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If you had been truthful about what you were selling-this entire thread wouldn't exist because I would not have bought the book.

Yes, the six pages you sent to me looked fine...big deal. If you're accusing me of altering the book in ANY WAY, you are wasting your time, I did nothing but open the book and reply to you about its condition as soon as I opened the package.

You offered a refund and then took that offer off the table. I have given you multiple days to make amends and you've chosen to accuse me of damaging the book, being dishonest, etc. These actions and accusations tell me that you're not going to do the right thing.

Your unwillingness to handle the situation like a respectable adult created the PayPal situation. I refuse to argue with an unreasonable person via the internet.

Since you have counted the pages,can you please tell me how many pages the manual I sent you has in total?
I have dealt with at least 3 dozen samba members in the past 8 years and this only the second time I am having an issue.
The only mistake I made is I should have given a more detailed description of the manual and a few more photos so that one has no extra expectations. This is the first time I had put such a big,heavy manual ad,hence the folly.
ajay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:00 am    Post subject: Refunded Reply with quote

I have refunded USD80 to Josh Lucas on 17thjanuary and he gets to keep the manual.as demanded by the buyer
Paypal transaction ID: 99A80152Y1296693U
I thought Mr.Josh lucas would be courteous enough to put that information also here.But even after 3 days he has not done so.
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: Refunded Reply with quote

ajay wrote:
I have refunded USD80 to Josh Lucas on 17thjanuary and he gets to keep the manual.as demanded by the buyer
I thought Mr.Josh lucas would be courteous enough to put that information also here.But even after 3 days he has not done so.

Let's get your story straight:

You advertised a parts book for sale in 'good condition'.
I paid for the book based on your (incorrect) description and six photos.
I received the book NOT as advertised and I contacted you as soon as I looked it over.
You pointed fingers looking to blame someone other than you.
You offered and then recanted an offer for a refund.
You refused to take responsibility for your listing-insisting that the six photos you sent were representative of the book you sent.
I filed a dispute with PayPal to recover my money.
You paid based on PayPal's decision against you.

Now you want acknowledgement?

Don't break your arm patting yourself on the back...it's not that admirable. Dishonest people do not deserve to demand courtesy, in my opinion.

Consider yourself lucky that I didn't insist on a FULL refund. I don't trust you enough for a full refund after I send the book back. That's why I offered the option you took.

The end is that you're dishonest and people who might buy from you should know that you will only be honest when forced to do so. This transaction proves that beyond what you will attempt to argue.

Facts don't lie in spite of whether or not you like them.
ajay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: Refunded Reply with quote

ataraxia wrote:
ajay wrote:

Let's get your story straight:

You advertised a parts book for sale in [u]'good[/u] condition'.
I paid for the book based on your (incorrect) description and six photos.
I received the book NOT as advertised and I contacted you as soon as I looked it over.
You pointed fingers looking to blame someone other than you.
You offered and then recanted an offer for a refund.
You refused to take responsibility for your listing-insisting that the six photos you sent were representative of the book you sent.
I filed a dispute with PayPal to recover my money.
You paid based on PayPal's decision against you.

Now you want acknowledgement?

Don't break your arm patting yourself on the back...it's not that admirable. Dishonest people do not deserve to demand courtesy, in my opinion.

Consider yourself lucky that I didn't insist on a FULL refund. I don't trust you enough for a full refund after I send the book back. That's why I offered the option you took.

The end is that you're dishonest and people who might buy from you should know that you will only be honest when forced to do so. This transaction proves that beyond what you will attempt to argue.

Facts don't lie in spite of whether or not you like them.

Who is telling facts is very clear here. I never mentioned in the ad the condition of the book as "GOOD"" as you say here.it is "'good used'' and there is a big difference between the two. as Everrett said that term means different to different people according to ones perception
also it was priced at a fraction of TYPE3 manuals in Samba

You said Paypal decided against me and forced me to pay.Another Misfact See this .Clearly mentioned - ''quickly resolved with the buyer''

I have a good credibility as a PAYPAL user for several years and dont want to spoil it for the sake of someone.So i didnot want to lag it any further and decided to accept the option
You say you didnt trust me of refunding if you return the manual. If I was dishonest I would have not paid up even now.
Actually you have gained by this option-You would have to spent heavy shipping charges of USD60 to sent it.

I have very clearly stated in a previous post a''folly '' committed on my part.
Last but not least I am in Samba 3 years before you joined and have dealt with dozens of members and I am not concerned by your testimonial
Johnzie333
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:18 pm    Post subject: Spark Plugs Reply with quote

Ajay bought some spark plugs, paid promptly when a paypal request was made, as he directed me to do.

Shipped to a PA address, all went well here.

704-957-4277
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: