Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

are these the parts I need to convert to bug trans?
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
humfrydog
Trained Attack Dog

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 11:36 am    Post subject: are these the parts I need to convert to bug trans? Reply with quote

these are nearby and seem affordable.I was gonna put a bug trans in the 56 panel.Are these the parts I need?(theres nothing under the bus right now.motor and trans both gone.)
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=81128

OGJHC Nevada chapter
rfoutch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 11:43 am    Post subject: converting to a bug trans... Reply with quote

No, those are bug nose cones, judging by the part number.

A 56 will also need an adapter to make the conversion, the splitcase front mount was very different then later mounts.

Those that sell the conversion kits (Busboy is one) also sell an adapter for your type of mount.

Randy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
humfrydog
Trained Attack Dog

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: converting to a bug trans... Reply with quote

rfoutch wrote:
No, those are bug nose cones, judging by the part number.

A 56 will also need an adapter to make the conversion, the splitcase front mount was very different then later mounts.

Those that sell the conversion kits (Busboy is one) also sell an adapter for your type of mount.

Randy

I have never done this conversion.could you enlighten me a little more to what you are refering too?

OGJHC Nevada chapter
larryt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you need, bus nose cone, and hockey stick. a pair of each early and late
axle tubes, early bearing caps, wolfgang # 2301265, what ever
set of brakes you choose to run.( complete set, as in backing plates, drums, and shoes) the ''how to lower a bus sticky will have all the parts needed, you just have to slowley read it and study it...
rfoutch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 12:01 pm    Post subject: Fact Sheet from Busboys Reply with quote

If you do a search for straight axle conversion, you will find a TON of posts with details, but here is a sheet explaining what is involved.

http://www.bus-boys.com/fact2.htm

I am in Las Vegas and have done this a couple of times, if you need some local help, just drop me an email.

We, The Las Vegas VW Club meet the first friday of each month at Findlays VW in Henderson.

Go to www.lasvegasvwclub.com for details, or drop me an email.

Randy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chipmcluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im getting ready to do the same conversion on my 59. It has a big nut tranny already, so will i still need the adaptor? I have the springplates and axle tubes already, just deciding on which tranny, bug or type 3?
rfoutch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes the adapter was required all the way thru the 59 model year. I will make this observation to that.

Some late model years (mostly the earlier ones) model year changes were mixed durring the late quarter of the model year thru the early quarter of the new model year.

As an example, even though my Single cab was made in April of 1957 it does not have the barn door style tail lights, third brake light and sports the 1958 only deck lid. So even though it is a 57, it is more like a 58.

If you have a split case trans, then you will need the adapter, this is the best way that I know to check, if you do not know what you are looking for.

If someone has some pictures, maybe they can post them. I will post a picture of a 62 mount later today. (cant post the 57 mount as some kind soul modified it for me *$^%&#)

As to the type 1 or type 3 question, it is really a question of the ring gear, that is what the main difference is. Here is a quote from the bus-boy fact sheet:

Quote:
Transmission Notes:

While your existing 60-67 Bus Trans can be used, 4th gear can be too tall if a stock 1600 engine is used. We do recommend that at least a stock 67 or 68 Bug Tunnel Trans be used to allow for better gearing overall. Even better is the transmission from a 67 or 68 Type 3 because of the excellent highway gearing of the ring & pinion used during these years. When making this type of transmission changeover, remember to use the nosecone and nosecone shiftrod (hockey stick) from your original Bus Transmission.

A couple of notes to this,

1. to use your bus trans, you must flip the ring and pinon or you will end up with one forwad gear and 4 reverse gears (this is because you no longer have the reduction boxes).

2. You will still need the bus nose cone and hockey stick, even with the adapter (it adapts the split case type mount, to the later non split case type mount)

3. If you are having a trans built, then it does not matter if you use type 1 or type 3, just talk with your trans builder and have it built for your motor and driving style/need.

Randy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: