Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Eurovan power window help fix
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pingpong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:12 am    Post subject: Eurovan power window help fix Reply with quote

2000 Eurovan driver side power window is not working, besides buying an expensive regulator motor could it be something easy as the power switch?

please help, anybody?
61Scout
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello and welcome. Sounds like you need to do a little diagnosis first. If it were me I'd pull the door panel, disconnect the power at the motor, then use a power probe (or simply jumpers) to see if the motor operates smoothly. So basically, start your diagnosis on one end and work your way towards the other. If the motor is good, then I'd next look at the switch itself. If you have power at the switch, but not going through it, then I'd say you have a switch problem. Of course, make sure to check the ground connection(s) too. If you don't have power to the switch, then that leads one to diagnose down that trail. You can also remove the switch completely and do continuity tests too. Often times, just the shear use of the drivers switch causes the contacts inside to go bad. Sometimes manipulating the switch side to side or adding a little inward pressure will activate the switch, which would point towards an internal switch failure. Also, while you're there, might as well clean and lube everything in the door, so clean the channels/felts, lube what you can of the regulator and the locks (dry lube).

Just out of curiosity, was the window getting slower and slower over time? Can you operate the other windows? How about operating the other windows from their respective door switches?

-Kevin
Remove the front spindle nut with ease: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=679567&highlight=
Remove the rear wheel bearing housing without messing with the big 46mm nut: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=679507&highlight=

-Nec Spe, Nec Metu
alapah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

May not be what is happening in your case, but last year when my 03 EV passenger window control on the driver's door began failing, as did the mirror controls for both sides and then the driver window, it turned out that the culprit was damage to the wiring harness where it feeds from the driver's door, through the jamb, into to the body. For a while I could get the passenger window control on the driver's door to work by opening and closing the driver side door a few times (the passenger door control worked fine so i knew it wasn't the mechanism itself). When the driver's window started to fail, I figured I could no longer ignore it.

Apparently, it's not at all uncommon for the wiring there to become worn and frayed due to lack of flexibility and a poorly placed clip on the harness itself. With each opening and closing of the door there is tension and potential for abrasion and breakage/fraying [here is a thread discussing the issue: http://tech.bentleypublishers.com/thread.jspa?messageID=408995]

Some choose to open it all up and splice and tape but we ended up purchasing a new wiring harness and replacing the lot. Seemed we might was well once we'd taken so much of it apart. All windows and mirror controls work great now but it did take a time to do and posed some challenges.
pingpong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks to alapah,

i finally got the wires fixed from door to body.

But now i can not find the fuse for the power windows, please help anybody?
pingpong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:22 pm    Post subject: eurovan power windows help fix Reply with quote

i disconnected the battery then fixed the damaged wires from body to door both sides where damaged, now both windows and the power mirrors do not work.

Please help, what do i have to check next ?.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need a wiring diagram to troubleshoot from here. Have you checked the Archives and Technical sections for these??
pingpong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:15 pm    Post subject: power windows / mirrors Reply with quote

no i did not

i am new here going to search for it, thanks.
alapah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't find the diagrams etc here on the samba you might want to join the Yahoo group "Eurovan Update" as that group focuses specifically on eurovans. I know they have a fuse diagram for the 03 EV in their file archive - not sure about wiring diagrams.

Sorry that link I provided didn't seem to work but I take it you were able to find what you needed from the site?
pingpong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:54 am    Post subject: power window fix help Reply with quote

hahha going backward, i started out with a driver side window not working.

diconnected the battery, fixed the wires form door to door, both sides.

checked all the fuses, because they are not specified in owners manual

Now the passenger window is down, the driverside is up and the power mirrors don't work anymore.

Could it be the circuit braker in front of the battery or..... else?

diagram did not help me,

anybody? please help as i am getting desparate.
pingpong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:50 pm    Post subject: eurovan power windows help fix Reply with quote

update, after lots of trouble shooting.

Found a lose connection under the dash, did connect it with fear of...

anyway connected the battery and suddenly passenger side window, power mirrors working again, pff, but the driver side window.

But now i hear a noise like something is trying but the window does not go down, thats new.

Its kind of victory for DIY so far, haha.

What do you guys think..... i am not giving up, it would be nice if special i get the driver side working,

please anybody whats next?
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please upload the wiring diagram into the Technical so we can look at it and guide.
pingpong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:12 pm    Post subject: EV power window help Reply with quote

i can't find a diagram not in technical or achives or on EV yahoo forums,

the motor makes a soft noise so there must be power.

not that it matters at this point but why does the manual not even says where the fuse for the power window is?

thanks.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my 2002 the power windows are not fused, but have a 30 amp CB mounted above the fuse box. These usually auto reset, you do not flick a switch like on your house.
CdnVWJunkie Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Next step in my opinion is to measure the voltage at the DS window motor connector. Get yourself a Multi-meter. If the motor is making noise, it's possible: that the motor is getting 12V and has failed or that the motor is getting less than 12V hence why it isn't operational. If you're getting less than 12V then you need to search "upstream" of here to determine the source of the voltage drop.

Curious, have you pulled back the door jam wiring accordion boot? It's quite common on this era of VW that there will be wire split or even completely severed in there. Our T4 has these exact symptoms and the issue was severed wire.
pingpong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:32 pm    Post subject: Eurovan power windows help Reply with quote

Okay thanks Adscate and

also Cdnvwjunkie, i get it.

regarding:

Curious, how have you pulled back the door jam wiring accordion boot?

you can push it half way into the body to access the wires, no need to cut the boot.

thanks to repairing the damaged wires and the loose connection under the fuse box i got it back to where i started, now i have to pull the door pannel off the driver side in order to acces the window power motor.

Anybody knows how to take the door pannel of? any instructions somewhere?
CdnVWJunkie Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Removing the door panel is dead easy. Pop the cover off the door pull(close). Three Phillips screws there. There'll be a plastic plug/screw on the top of the panel close to the hinge and there will be one at the top at the rear portion of the door. Next unthread the door lock pin. From here lift directly UP on the door panel to disengage the lower plastic locks. Disconnect the wiring connectors.

With a little practice, you can do the above in as little as few minutes.

There should be some plastic barrier sheeting on the inside. Carefully pull this back.

Measure the voltage at the switch and then at the window motor.
poephols1406
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi - i have a similar issue with my 2003 Eurovan Winnebago: L & R windows won't budge; EPC light stays on #14 fuse blows for reasons that i cannot fathom. Any input would be very welcome. Thanks in advance.
DenverB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you've got a short in the wiring between the door and the car somewhere - easily could be something like a wire rubbed through and it's touching the frame of the car. Seems to be *lightly* common issue - I've had it happen in at least one EV in the last six months.

The fuse keeps popping because it's constantly overloading. Until you fix the problem, it won't hold a fuse.
'84 Vanagon Westfalia (Pink Flamingo - Pastel White/Pink)
'88 Vanagon GL Westfalia (Frankie Says - Wolfram Gray)
'02 Eurovan Weekender (Green Apple)
'95-'03 Eurovan full campers and weekenders (rental fleet)
'84 -'91 Vanagon full campers and weekenders (rental fleet)
'72 Porsche 914 (Greta - RIP)

www.RockyMountainCampervans.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jonwid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan power window help fix Reply with quote

Remove the door panels and locate the window motors.

Beat moderately on the window motor cans with a screwdriver handle for a couple of minutes.

The mechanism may pop back to life, like they did for me.
vtew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Eurovan power window help fix Reply with quote

Jonwid wrote:
Remove the door panels and locate the window motors.

Beat moderately on the window motor cans with a screwdriver handle for a couple of minutes.

The mechanism may pop back to life, like they did for me.

This worked for me, too Wink

Driver's side window got stuck closed a couple weeks ago. I could hear clicking in the motor and figured electrical was ok. I freed the window by helping it go down while activating the switch.

Couple days ago, same thing happened, but I couldn't get the window to go down. Tapping on the motor caused it to start working.

Maybe everything needs to be lubricated? Or the window adjusted so it doesn't go up as high?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: