Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

CV joint protectors
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Team WorldTour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As soon as I get Frank back on the road, I'll be able to figure that part out....
WV2ZZZ25ZFH094138(x)/ WV2YB0257LH057308(x)/ WV2ZZZ25ZLG113270/
"Where am I going? And what am I doing in this handbasket?" -Nicodemus Jordan
When All Else Fails: Lather, Rinse, Repeat!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
the_benjamin_effect
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: CV joint protectors Reply with quote

For the forum, thought I'd share for future searches on this subject:

Ran across an old V.A.G. Service Workshop Bulletin.
CV protectors were introduced January 1990 for 14" heavy running gear and all 16" models... according to the bulletin.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

-2000 Subaru Impreza Sport EJ22 ¼ million miles "Trusty"

International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers. I.A.M. 751
International Brotherhood of Naval Flight Engineers. I.B.N.F.E. LOCAL 8251
My other ride has 18,400 horsepower!

Last edited by the_benjamin_effect on Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1988M5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hans j wrote:
Looks great! I haven't started yet Sad I don't have brake backing plates installed but I did clean up my threads. I might be able to get mine on without pulling my brakes, but will have to see. Right now I'm concentrating on a new front aluminum bumper and my raised engine cover, tons of stuff still to deal with before summer!

Wait, what!? You wish to make protectors for a sacrificial part while leaving your brakes exposed? Priorities brother!! Just kidding, I'm sure you wrote that out omitting the grand plan details.

BK
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1988M5 wrote:
hans j wrote:
Looks great! I haven't started yet Sad I don't have brake backing plates installed but I did clean up my threads. I might be able to get mine on without pulling my brakes, but will have to see. Right now I'm concentrating on a new front aluminum bumper and my raised engine cover, tons of stuff still to deal with before summer!

Wait, what!? You wish to make protectors for a sacrificial part while leaving your brakes exposed? Priorities brother!! Just kidding, I'm sure you wrote that out omitting the grand plan details.

BK

That post is almost 10 years old. Shocked
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 1:26 am    Post subject: Re: CV joint protectors Reply with quote

He did post, wait…..,,
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: CV joint protectors Reply with quote

I have a set of those front CV boot guards that belong to Samba member ragnarhairybreeks. The steel parts are Stainless steel.
I hoped to return them at DelaSyncro, but couldn’t get outta Seattle.

If a deal is struck with Sir Hairybreeks,
I will send them to wherever is decreed.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
ragnarhairybreeks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: CV joint protectors Reply with quote

Hey Tom,

I should dig out my spare units and take pic, and show. Was hoping you’d fit them up to your van and see if any fitment issues on suspension uprights. I’ve only done it on my 86 Syncro, like to have more opinion.

I think it’s a worthy idea, design. You’re free to do what ever you like with them, I’m sure once displayed, they will be widely copied…. Har har.

🤪

Oh and btw, the rubber part of the guard kinda is the hardest thing. To get the right flex and durability. Believe it or not, after trying rubber for awhile I cut some from the cheap slip and slide snow toy thing… just plastic…but it’s worked out well. I figured if the stuff won’t crack when used as a toboggan thing then it will be ok on van. And indeed it has been . Shape of the flex part can be of course customized to what ever you want.

Alistair
Old address still works...
http://shufti.wordpress.com
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: CV joint protectors Reply with quote

ragnarhairybreeks wrote:
Was hoping you’d fit them up to your van and see if any fitment issues on suspension uprights. I’ve only done it on my 86 Syncro, like to have more opinion.

Dang I coulda done that. Problem is, some michievious camper mixed up the parts to cause trouble at assembly. Which i’m sure he expected we’d install them in camp. And he would then heckle for awhile but swoop in and save the day. But we never did the install project. And the parts are still a little mixed up. But now “knowing” they’re mixed up, I can probably solve the puzzle.

I can still do that someday on a ‘90. And on an ‘87 since I’m now dual Syncro owner of significant privilege.

ragnarhairybreeks wrote:
Oh and btw, the rubber part of the guard kinda is the hardest thing. To get the right flex and durability. Believe it or not, after trying rubber for awhile I cut some from the cheap slip and slide snow toy thing… just plastic…but it’s worked out well. I figured if the stuff won’t crack when used as a toboggan thing then it will be ok on van. And indeed it has been.

Don’t count on that. Kids toy plastics are engineered to get brittle and crack after about 2 years. You have to use plastic from containers that hold a dangerous chemical or pollutants. Like a 5gal oil jug. Then you can be sure its long-lasting.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: CV joint protectors Reply with quote

Since the dollars is doing exceptionally well agaianst the £
https://brickwerks.co.uk/product/cv-boot-protection-t3-syncro-front-set/

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
ragnarhairybreeks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: CV joint protectors Reply with quote

Tom, you old curmudgeon Smile

The slip and slide plastic has been great over two years. And it was an old thing hanging in the barn since my son, now 27, was a wee kid.

Some magic sauce in that plastic .

But, I did explore lightly other materials. I wanted poly urethane, as we all do.

Was too hard to find right thickness and flex to buy in small quantities. Maybe I’ll try again.

Alistair
Old address still works...
http://shufti.wordpress.com
alaskadan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: CV joint protectors Reply with quote

I bought some conveyor belt by the foot for a custom wood processor I built years ago. IIRC it's 5/32" thick, cold crack rated to -20 and very tough. They had all kinds of belts for every application. Some were reinforced pvc etc.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: CV joint protectors Reply with quote

ragnarhairybreeks wrote:
And it was an old thing hanging in the barn since my son, now 27, was a wee kid.

Some magic sauce in that plastic.

Its the other way around.
Plastics are chosen to satisfy “environmental and social performance objectives”.
The magic sauce of modern plastics engineering mitigates the problems
of plastic being “persistent” in the ‘varmint and the sales problem too; retiring the item before the next sibling, and certainly eliminating the 27-year hand-me-down problem.
Mass-market items are not made as “durable goods”.
Even a modern doormat, would be suspect for ‘plastics engineering’.
Maybe EPDM roofing? (A synthetic rubber). A roll of 10x25 feet roofing could supply Syncro market volumes. There’s “reinforced EPDM” too.
Needs to withstand encounter with petroleum grease (as we evaluate modern boot durability).

……curmudgeonly yours, Tom

WiboBusMan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: CV joint protectors Reply with quote

The same information is posted here and there throughout the web, but for those interested, conveniently in one place, pics, plans, and instructions are here : https://hanswibo.asuscomm.com/index.php/s/W4BY8Y9cEsXKwas

W
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: CV joint protectors Reply with quote

Buy a truck mudflap, the ones with fibers, kinda like a conveyor belt material.

Careful with choosing PU, a lot don't like the cold...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: