Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What exhaust can I use?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
gostros
Mr. Obvious

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:55 pm    Post subject: What exhaust can I use? Reply with quote

I have a 71 bay with an 1835 type 1 engine. I've heard that there are some exhausts I can't use because of the engine support. What should I use and what can I not use? By exhaust I mean from the heads to the tips of the muffler.

I didn't take the engine out of the bus, so I'm not sure what it looks like with it installed. The bus previously had the stock engine and muffler.

Sorry if this has been answered many times.

Thanks for your help.
calebmelvin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems like as long as you get an exhaust that is made for a 68-71 bus, you shouldn't have any clearance issues. I would imagine that some bug exhausts wouldn't work because of the mount, but it is a stock mount for a bus so any exhaust made for a bus should take that into consideration. The only difference between the T1 and T2 motors are the three little mounting holes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cptn. Calzone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 8:09 am    Post subject: Exhaust Reply with quote

A-1 sidewinder brother, buy once , cry once, get it ceramic coated, runs cooler and looks awesome,exhaust tone is quiet and power great,I got one on my 71 Westy with a 1776,good ground clearence(do I sound pleased?)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gostros
Mr. Obvious

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice!

I'll check out the sidewinder.
krautwaggen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whattaya talkin about "Some systems don't fit"??? Just do like some previous owner of my single cab did and cut a hole in the mustache bar. Just make damn sure that you weld some random pieces of All thread (or maybe they're case studs) underneath to regain the support you just removed. Crying or Very sad Needless to say, I've got some un-fncking to do with this truck.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bmx2c4me
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the Sidewinder header/muffler allow the use of a full flow oil pump cover? I'm planning a new engine/exhaust for my 71 westy and would like to nip any possible problems off at the bud.

I'm planning on an upright 2 liter with full flow oiling
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
i_am_cool_fred
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bmx2c4me wrote:
Does the Sidewinder header/muffler allow the use of a full flow oil pump cover? I'm planning a new engine/exhaust for my 71 westy and would like to nip any possible problems off at the bud.

I'm planning on an upright 2 liter with full flow oiling

can you even use one of those full flow pump covers on a early bay???

i would think that it would hit the mustache bar

Brian Denning, as seen on Gearz TV
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cptn. Calzone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:51 pm    Post subject: exhaust Reply with quote

I have a 71 westy, I use a Maxi3 pump from CB perf with remote filter and cooler.I also hace an A-1 sidewinder and it fits great with good power.
bmx2c4me
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got any pics or specific modification that were made? Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cptn. Calzone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:42 pm    Post subject: exhaust Reply with quote

To fit the pump and cooler, it was very straight foward.The moustasche bar must come off to install the pump, but the lines and all are routed to the left of the motor as you look at the back.The filter is mounted away from the exhaust heat and out of harms way.The header tucks up so good and is ceramic coated, it looks bitchin.I will post some pics tommorow.
bmx2c4me
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wink Thanks
Lionhart94010
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cptn. Calzone ,

I Have been thinking of buying an A-1 sidewinder, but read conflicting reports weather it will fit a 71 Bay, if you could post picture(s) and the part number you bought that would be Great :0)
thesamba - www.ratwell.com - www.shoptalkforums.com/ - www.vw-resource.com - http://www.type2.com/
http://bobhooversblog.blogspot.com/ - www.aircooled.net/gnrlsite/resource/articles.htm
Cptn. Calzone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:02 pm    Post subject: exhaust Reply with quote

Yes I am overdue for the picposting.The unit fits so good.I purchased mine through powerhaus,saw the ad in sambas classifieds.Tiger @A-1 will build you one as well, but powerhaus has them in stock.You will need flanged heater boxes to really mate up with the header and take adv. of the good flow.
bmx2c4me
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had Tiger build me one for my 67 bus which I love but I wasn't sure if it would clear the rear engine support bar (Mustache bar) and still have room to route full flow oil lines and such without interference on the 71 Westy. I'm gonna build an engine up so I can keep up with traffic...
Cptn. Calzone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:36 am    Post subject: exhaust Reply with quote

My motor is a mild 1776, German crank,d100 cam, DRD40x35.5 heads, dual Kads, Autocraft rockers, Svda dizzy soon to be installed Jacobs Ignition.She moves along nicely oh yeah and the A-1 header Very Happy
fergus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just ran into this issue with a new Empi exhaust from EIS - and since chopping up the mustache bar would send me to Bus Hell I guess I'll look for another header/exhaust...any other recommendations out there besides Sidewinder? Just curious...thanks!

http://www.arizonabusclub.com

An Arizona-based, family-oriented club, dedicated to the restoration, preservation, and enjoyment of the Volkswagen Transporter. Plus we drink a lot of beer.

You are receiving this email because you are watching the topic, "Wood U Hit It? (Possibly NSFW)" at TheSamba.com.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An exhaust system made for the type 1 engine should fit. It is the muffler that is different for the different body types. The common muffler for a bug bug body shape wont fit as it will interfere with the right side of the engine hanger.
If you really want an exhaust system to be proud of then get a Bugpack system that has the top hole/bolt at the 1 o'clock position. I believe Bugpack has a muffler to fit the bay window bus', which could be the same as a ghia, per the rear body shape. If not so equipped with a strong hanger for the muffler a muffler shop, or generic welder can fix this. I also like to flange the exhaust pipes to the heater boxes to assure a good seal.
I fully believe the days of a bolt-on aftermarket exhaust are gone. Paint, flanges, fresh air hoses, and quality muffler are on your shoulder.
Bill
VWDruid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whats your set up?
70 Westy, 2027cc "dual DRLA 40 m140 i55 wjdoc a165 p33 v30 "w100 straight cut 040 polished heads 1.25 rockers 1.5 A1sidewinder supertrapp muffler trans 091 coil SUM-850500 CDI universal svda Pertronix
http://www.storyofstuff.com/
It's not the straight cut gears It's the T.A.R.D.I.S. engine.
wanted Chameleon Circuit
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: