Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

At what point do splits no longer get cut up?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tisius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From cut up (albeit still somewhat push-able)
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

to this:

I suggest that that move was strongly allowed, considering what they've started with.
And secretively, I diggit.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwinnovator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AND it sold for $38,500 on barrett jackson with about 50lbs of body filler on it!!!
watch the build show if you get a chance.
SkooobaSteve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brettsvw wrote:
I cut up a very rusty 65 standard awhile back, It was crazy how fast the rusty

I still have the parts I got from that bus. Waiting their turn to be cut up to replace the spots that were rusted out on mine.
Romans 6:13
WTB 67 beetle rear seat belts.
59 Euro ragtop build with my dad
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=493553&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
65 dlx Slow build
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=391061
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tisius wrote:
From cut up (albeit still somewhat push-able)

to this:

I suggest that that move was strongly allowed, considering what they've started with.
And secretively, I diggit.
That looked like it was a very nice og paint bus before it was hacked into a clown car.

"When the people are afraid of the government, that's tyranny. But when the government is afraid of the people, that's liberty."
"Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God."

Thomas Jefferson
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...cut this 1959 walk through front clip today, 1/28/15.

...1961 sub hatch parts bus...still cuttin' on it...

11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
norcalmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats a shame. Of course its only one pic but that looked like a nice bus. Was it wrecked?
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

norcalmike wrote:
Thats a shame. Of course its only one pic but that looked like a nice bus. Was it wrecked?
That's what I was thinking too. Unless it's got major issues that you can't see in the pics you might want to stop cuttin.' Subhatch stuff has gotten a bit crazy lately; someone would probably save that bus.

"When the people are afraid of the government, that's tyranny. But when the government is afraid of the people, that's liberty."
"Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God."

Thomas Jefferson
brettsvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its hard to imagine a subhatch westy being parted theses days. Shocked

My 59 kombi build.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=635003&highlight=

My buggy build.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=558601&highlight=

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=289807
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

StockNazi wrote:
norcalmike wrote:
That's what I was thinking too. Unless it's got major issues that you can't see in the pics you might want to stop cuttin.' Subhatch stuff has gotten a bit crazy lately; someone would probably save that bus.

Got this 1961 completely rust free bus in 1995 for $150 and mostly complete. The front was hit pretty hard...flat towed it about 200 miles to Oklahoma. Actually, went to Arkansas to buy the transaxle and when I got there, the bus was in a field and the owner was afraid that w/o a transaxle, he would have a difficult time getting it out of there and insisted I take the whole thing for the same price of $150...he even gave me a home-made tow bar...this is 20 years ago, when sub hatch busses were not so popular. Although, I did sell the front flip seat, right away for $500 and the rest of the interior in about 2005 for $ 850...have been using parts of it to repair a 1960 SO-23 and now our 1962 SO-33...used the side sheet metal for floors in our Karmann Ghia last month and etc. Some one recently offered me $2K for it as is, but the parts are worth that to me and declined.

If I found it now, I would have repaired it...is completely rust free. I have had it in my barn the whole time and even though it was in a field when I went to get it...it was just pulled out there and was under cover since new...
When I got it, I had 2 sub hatch busses and another meant nothing to me.

...just think, back in the 1970s, I cut up a 1949 split bug for parts. I had 2 1950 bugs, at that time...didn't think twice...times change.

This is our 1962 sub hatch. It is also, incredibly solid...came out of southern Texas, they bought for salvage...had an engine fire. Some locals remembered when it was complete and no one wanted anything about 2 years before i moved to Ok. from NY. I picked on this bus at this salvage for 10 years and still had the engine lid and a few other things still at home. Got it in 2007 for $50 and needed almost everything and put it together, mostly from the 1961...including the wire harness, front end, transaxle and more...

LOL, got my 1960 SC in 1995 for $350...and some friends said, at the time, not to waste my money on that thing...guess back east a '60 sc was non existent and to find one now was too good to be true. the guy also had a 1959 sc and I told a friend about it and he still has his also...

I have no regrets...

1960 single cab
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2

cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^That is what is called "perspective". Thanks for the story.
otahuhu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"ZENVWDRIVER" please dont take this the wrong way, but I'm compelled to ask, in this day and age why you didn't take the cash offer and use it on autocraft, funky green or new WW panels/parts as and when you need them. I can see the attraction of having rust free og panels at your finger tips, but if you keep going that bus will be gone forever. The fact that its 54 years old, a desirable and uncommon model and rust free (thanks to you) all be it incomplete, makes it worth saving surely??

In this thread... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=234720&highlight=so34 their are now nearly 50 flipseats listed, I would imagine the actual total number of them left might be 3 or 4 times that amount but it is still rarer than an so23 or so42 and far rarer than a deluxe etc etc. And how many of them are rust free. As you will know from cutting them up there is a lot in a flipseat that is unique and factory built. Autocraft, kfab, or WW can wip you up a new pannel or part anytime but no one can make a new original 54 year old westy. I see were you are coming from and respect that its your property, I just felt obliged to make this observation on behalf of the bus, apologies if I've offended you in anyway... Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

otahuhu wrote:
"ZENVWDRIVER" please dont take this the wrong way, but I'm compelled to ask, in this day and age why you didn't take the cash offer and use it on autocraft, funky green or new WW panels/parts as and when you need them. I can see the attraction of having rust free og panels at your finger tips, but if you keep going that bus will be gone forever. The fact that its 54 years old, a desirable and uncommon model and rust free (thanks to you) all be it incomplete, makes it worth saving surely??

In this thread... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=234720&highlight=so34 their are now nearly 50 flipseats listed, I would imagine the actual total number of them left might be 3 or 4 times that amount but it is still rarer than an so23 or so42 and far rarer than a deluxe etc etc. And how many of them are rust free. As you will know from cutting them up there is a lot in a flipseat that is unique and factory built. Autocraft, kfab, or WW can wip you up a new pannel or part anytime but no one can make a new original 54 year old westy. I see were you are coming from and respect that its your property, I just felt obliged to make this observation on behalf of the bus, apologies if I've offended you in anyway... Rolling Eyes

...no offence taken at all.

your points are well taken and really food for thought. i'll consider what you suggested.

Until now, i have also been anxious to save everything for our son. He likes it all and he'll be the one to do with this stuff as he sees fit. He might be the one to bring the '61 flip-seat back to life, if we still have it...maybe when it's 85 years old....long after, i'm gone...wouldn't that be something? i am thankful, he is interested. Actually, he'll be the new steward of our possessions and hopefully they'll be in the family for a long time to come, to be enjoyed, way beyond impermanent, me... am already resting peacefully, with those thoughts.

Might be nice to sell that '61 so, id have the cash to get a little early 60s MG Midget, before i go Smile i'll think about it...thanks!
1960 single cab
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2

ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...someone contacted me today, asking 'bout this '61 Westy hulk...gunna send him some pics, but it really needs a lot of work to get it to the campground again...has no numbers and no title, in case anyone else decides to make a connection.
1960 single cab
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2

otahuhu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just so you don't think I'm a hypocrite, I'm in NZ and have a really nice flipseat already. But I wish you luck if you decide to go ahead with the sale and hope you get a decent offer, what about posting in the classifieds?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: