Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

A 2015 Preamble . . .
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:45 pm    Post subject: A 2015 Preamble . . . Reply with quote

. . . to my 13th annual lap of America.

Quote:
That's right. I have been underplaying the Significance Of Saving These Cars for thirteen years now. But now it looks like I have decided to run out my clock rescuing all of these old air-cooled Volkswagens and their owners and their families before the whole phenomenon gets irrevocably frozen into Over-Restored Facsimilies Only At Boring Car Shows.

Today, we are still alive! We still have daily driving Volkswagens, we still have our health, we still have time (some of us), we still have freedom, we may even have young kids whose memory chips have lots of open slots, and I say let your Volkswagen be the vehicle to get out and experience the greater world NOW.

As you leave your daily routine behind for a brief foray into the fresh air where you will reorient to the simple day under the sun and the moon and meet people through which your Volkswagen will again be the vehicle for connection, rejoice in the stories that they bring to you, give them some of your own.

Gently and surreptitiously allow your Last Century's Volkswagen to communicate the values they represent yet in this New Century, simple good manners, solid quality, unassuming competence, and a modest footprint.

You may find that you are sharing the road with hurried frenzied distracted fellow motorists cocooned in their electronic toy palaces (and you know your place among them too, politely puttering in the right lane), but don't hold it against them or you may miss the connection that occurs when everyone must alight in turn from their chariots at the rest stop or at the gas station and is standing in line waiting for their turn with the overworked cashier.

When you meet up with your fellow air-cooled VW owners, celebrate the quirky culture that they/we have somehow managed to pull into the 21st Century (not too terribly self-consciously for the most part), lord knows we could use some true quirk in today's cynical marketing of twerk.

My role is simply to keep our air-cooled wheels turning . . . on their own, on our own. I will do my part, but I need you to participate in the turning on of our fellow air-cooled owners to the turn-on of tinkering on their/our own Volkswagens, to push the unexpectedly retro-relationship between automobiles and owners towards a new counterpoint to the current isolating tendencies of our social media walls where friendship is launched by "like" buttons and extinguished all too readily by "unfriending".

If you find yourself trapped at the computer or eyes locked onto a stupid little screen reading this, you have the same gorgeous planet awaiting outside just like I do as I type this. I am going out into it in an air-cooled Volkswagen of great immediate liveliness and cantankerous clattering, I hope to find you out there in your Volkswagen too.

airkooledchris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am, once again, looking forward to this years day of VW preservation with Colin.

the list of things I need to work on is ever-changing, but with a likely visit to the Maupin VW campout right before my visit with Colin this year - I should have plenty to focus on.
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Applause Bravo! Well written.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
white74westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't wait for my next visit! Putting list together now...will have it to you soon. Cool

As for those out there wondering about Colin and his services. What are you waiting for??? Best money you'll ever spend. Best education you'll ever receive. Best beatings you'll ever take! Laughing Wink
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A very good reminder of all the reasons why I own a VW Bus. The drug in which I use to daydream, locked at work. Looking for the way out.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:25 pm    Post subject: Tune up Clinic Reply with quote

Hi Amskeptic
Nicely written.
Have you given any thought to doing a Tune Up Clinic? I am sure a Parts vendor would be willing to provide the space. Provided the participants buy the parts from them. Then you could help multiple people at the same time.
Just a thought
Tcash
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: