Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Where to order air-cooled exhaust system?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Broham
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:30 pm    Post subject: Where to order air-cooled exhaust system? Reply with quote

Hi all!

My exhaust system is pretty much completely rusted out and cracked, even. I have an '82 air-cooled 2.0 liter engine. The only site I saw that had something comparable was this, but it's on backorder.

http://www.rockymountainwesty.com/80_83_SS_Air_Cooled_Exhaust_System_p/rmw-1acx.htm

Where can I find an exhaust system (preferably stainless steel) and maybe even some new heater boxes (left and right)? I feel like I've exhausted (lol) all my options at this point.
jismay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might try:

http://www.averysaircooled.com/
or
https://interstateusedparts.com

Be aware that there is a big difference between the 1980 and 81-83 exhaust parts as well as additional differences between the CA and 49-state versions.

--
Brian
1989 VW Cabriolet
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FNGRUVN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bus Depot is a good source for aircooled parts. Check California Import Parts(CIP1 I think is what they go by), as well. The Samba classifieds is a good source too.
Matt G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:07 pm    Post subject: Where to order air-cooled exhaust system? Reply with quote

The j-pipe will be the most challenging to find, the other pieces are still available if you decide to stay stock. (The federal version j-pipe is nearly extinct, but the California version can still be found used).

Bus Depot and other vendors also offer other solutions (extractor types) should you decide to leave the stock set up. Tangerine Racing Products used to offer a SS exhaust for type 4 buses, although that is no longer shown on their website. If it were me, I'd wait for the back-order to end and order the RMW model.

Good Luck,
Matt
'71 Bus
wesitarz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

California Import Products Ltd. Cip1.com
GreenMachineVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used one of these for over 10,000 miles. It looked rusty as soon as the paint burnt off (about 100 miles), and has not changed since. Can't beat the price.

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=ACC%2DD%2D2072

It is an EMPI, so you should be able to find it at many sources, maybe even locally.
t3 kopf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GreenMachineVW wrote:
I've used one of these for over 10,000 miles. It looked rusty as soon as the paint burnt off (about 100 miles), and has not changed since. Can't beat the price.

It is an EMPI, so you should be able to find it at many sources, maybe even locally.

I used that one when I had my air cooled. it has a descent exhaust note to it as I recall but yes the paint turns to rust in about a week of driving. it might not be a bad idea to use that one and get it sand blasted and powder coated before using it. that what I would do if I still had that van.
GTV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NavyVW wrote:
GreenMachineVW wrote:

I used that one when I had my air cooled. it has a descent exhaust note to it as I recall but yes the paint turns to rust in about a week of driving. it might not be a bad idea to use that one and get it sand blasted and powder coated before using it. that what I would do if I still had that van.

IMO, those exhausts have decent ground clearance, pretty good looks (symmetry), and are inexpensive. However, the 1-2 side is not merged with the 3-4 side, making it no different than a dune buggy "dual cannon" exhaust. This hurts performance and makes it sound awful. I would invest in one of these:
http://shop.vintagespeed.com.tw/s.nl/sc.12/category.3234/.f
Just my two cents.
Broham
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update!

Called RMW and they were super helpful. Apparently they manufacture them somewhat regularly and when I called, they had just finished three. I was able to order one today. I am, however, still struggling to have luck finding left and right heat exchangers. I was about to order some and my mechanic told me that some use a copper gasket and some use a metal gasket.

I've uploaded some pictures of the assumed gaskets. Can anyone tell me the difference and maybe a good place to find one for less than $500 a PIECE? Thanks so much for all the suggestions and help. I'll post feedback on the new exhaust when I get it going.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

VWinVT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't want to muddy the waters, but are the heat exchangers a must have portion of the exhaust? My aircooled has the exchangers and the proper exhaust and it produces lukewarm (at best) heat in the dash. Perhaps if they are not needed (to keep the motor cool) then perhaps you could save yourself some time/money/frustration by simply removing them???

Small wheel turns by the firing rod,
Big wheel turns by the grace of God.
Every time that wheel turns 'round,
You're bound to cover just a little more ground.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I was about to order some and my mechanic told me that some use a copper gasket and some use a metal gasket.

Your mechanic may have been referring to the exhaust port gaskets where the heater boxes connect to the heads. Early 2.0 bus heads had oval exhaust ports and used a copper crush seal to seal the heater boxes to the head. Starting with the late busses and the aircooled vanagons, VW changed to a square exhaust port design that utilized more of a conventional type exhaust gasket. You can't fit oval port heat exchangers on a square port head or vice versa without some clever adaption.
Broham
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VWinVT wrote:
Don't want to muddy the waters, but are the heat exchangers a must have portion of the exhaust? My aircooled has the exchangers and the proper exhaust and it produces lukewarm (at best) heat in the dash. Perhaps if they are not needed (to keep the motor cool) then perhaps you could save yourself some time/money/frustration by simply removing them???

Hmm..is that really a good idea? Is it necessary?

And that makes more sense, rsxsr. I'll take a closer look and see what I can find.
a2d2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Broham wrote:
VWinVT wrote:

Hmm..is that really a good idea? Is it necessary?

The heat exchangers do actually provide heat if everything else along the way is working properly. The amount it pumps out is dependent on the blower fan on the alternator (and therefore completely relative to engine speed) so it's not perfect but it's something.

I thought they were useless for years until I replaced and/or repaired the flapper boxes and cabling. Now I vote for keeping them.
AlexWesty415
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: Where to order air-cooled exhaust system? Reply with quote

Van Cafe has the best setup for $600 you get the whole system, they give you easy to understand instructions and NO WELDING required, which for someone like me who doesn't know how to weld, is pretty huge. It's also stainless Steel so no more rust. It's quiet and makes the van look that much cooler.

Vanagon 80-83 Aricooled Exhaust:
https://www.vancafe.com/RMW-2985101-p/rmw-2985101.htm
9.5isCanadian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GTV wrote:

I would invest in one of these:
http://shop.vintagespeed.com.tw/s.nl/sc.12/category.3234/.f
Just my two cents.

Ditto
I love mine. Great quality, looks awesome and sounds fantastic.

1987 Getaway Hightop
1980 Sunroof Vanagon
2018 BMW R Nine T
2012 Golf tdi
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mightyart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: Where to order air-cooled exhaust system? Reply with quote

DO NOT get rid of the heat exchangers, they are not just for heat in a Vanagon.
They are helping cool the engine.
this is the cheap exhaust. The gaskets that come with it are junk, the round one is easy to get,it's just a header gasket. I made the ones for the heat exchangers out of heavy duty exhaust gasket material. a little more work to make the gaskets but not $500.00 bucks worth.
https://www.busdepot.com/vw7802026
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: