Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What is this part? Air intake boot?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mcduckson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:58 am    Post subject: What is this part? Air intake boot? Reply with quote

1980 aircooled vanagon. What is this part and where can I get a new one? I think it's called an air intake elbow boot (after doing some research). Is it part of the heating/AC system or is it a necessary part of the engine system? Mine is shredded. I was thinking about just getting a hose replacement of some kind. I haven't found a rubber piece but the metal vent hose used for dryers seems to fit. Is there any reason I shouldn't use a metal one. Or is there any reason a rubber one would be better?
Thanks!
John

thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1309651.jpg[/img]
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It connects the squirrel cage blower on the alternator to the snorkle. The squirrel cage is an assist to the heater. Perhaps they wanted to ensure no fumes from the engine compartment were drawn into the passenger compartment. Part number is 070 256 099 for the boot. Probably your idea of an alternate would work. Look at summit racing for silicone boots.
mcduckson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi and thanks rsxsr!

So this boot is to assist the heater? I've been reading some other information that call this the boot a cold air intake for the alternator or something to cool the alternator. I see that it attaches directly to the body of the van from the alternator but I don't understand where it goes next.

I'm having a difficult time finding information on this part. The part number on the boot is 070 256 099.

Thanks
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that boot allows the heater supply fan on the Alternator to suck clean air from the side scoop and not draw in engine compartment fumes.

if your heat is bypassed and dumps out by the transmission (instead of blowing heat into the cabin) then it's not as necessary

the plastic duct/tube from the alt to the heaters IS necessary to help keep the exhaust from soaking into the heads and loosing a valve/seat.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On an aircooled vanagon, there should be a squirrel cage blower bolted to the alternator pulley with a black plastic shroud around it. The boot attaches to the shroud. The shroud has two ducts that go to both heater boxes. Busses used and electric blower. It is possible that it has been discarded at some point during an alternator or engine change.

If you are not concerned about decent heat, you can run the engine and not worry too much. Here is what it should look like.

mcduckson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the explanation. I know understand it better. I found more info in the Grab Bag section of the John Muir book on how that system works and it looks like at some point in the near future I'll be working through checking that system.

....so that explains why I have no heat in my car. . . .
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
....so that explains why I have no heat in my car. . . .

You have no heat because it is winter and you have an aircooled vanagon. Smile Even knew they were marginal in Florida.
torbot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: What is this part? Air intake boot? Reply with quote

mcduckson wrote:
1980 aircooled vanagon. What is this part and where can I get a new one? I think it's called an air intake elbow boot (after doing some research). Is it part of the heating/AC system or is it a necessary part of the engine system? Mine is shredded. I was thinking about just getting a hose replacement of some kind. I haven't found a rubber piece but the metal vent hose used for dryers seems to fit. Is there any reason I shouldn't use a metal one. Or is there any reason a rubber one would be better?
Thanks!
John

Did you ever end up replacing this or finding an alternative fix? while replacing my alternator awhile back, I spent... a LONG time trying to get this piece back on and ended up ripping it anyway. New Alt was defective, so I'm replacing it again and want to try my luck with a new boot (or an alternative).

Thanks!
Tor
dreaming_of_traveling
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:50 pm    Post subject: Re: What is this part? Air intake boot? Reply with quote

I'm also looking for this now. No one had any luck?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:23 am    Post subject: Re: What is this part? Air intake boot? Reply with quote

The wire reinforced silicone duct from Aircraft Spruce should work. It is available in many sizes.
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: What is this part? Air intake boot? Reply with quote

Anyone have an updated source for these? I am not having any luck.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wbailey2112
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:28 am    Post subject: Re: What is this part? Air intake boot? Reply with quote

I also had to find a replacement fresh air intake boot a while back and despite searching everywhere I could not find a new one anywhere (OEM or aftermarket) since most of the usual sources seem to stock more vanagon wasserboxer parts than air cooled. I ended up placing a want ad in the classified section here and bought a used one that was in better shape than mine.

Here's a NOS boot that's in the classifieds right now: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2364064

In the meantime I was able to use a large cable tie to pull the end together on the original that was split and it has held up just fine. Based on your photo though I don't think you have this option.

I think you'll find that the air quality inside the passenger compartment will be much better if you have this boot installed.
hartung105
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: What is this part? Air intake boot? Reply with quote

This boot is cracked pretty badly on my van too. When I first start driving with the heat on, I do get some engine smells but it dissipates as the engine bay starts to get more fresh air.

I've been having a hard time finding this part as well. Currently working on a fix where I glue the ripped parts together with rubber cement and covering the cracked areas with Permatex black silicone to hopefully prevent further tearing when I try to re-install it.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: What is this part? Air intake boot? Reply with quote

hartung105 wrote:
This boot is cracked pretty badly on my van too. When I first start driving with the heat on, I do get some engine smells but it dissipates as the engine bay starts to get more fresh air.

I've been having a hard time finding this part as well. Currently working on a fix where I glue the ripped parts together with rubber cement and covering the cracked areas with Permatex black silicone to hopefully prevent further tearing when I try to re-install it.

Try Shoe Goo or clear polyurethane caulk
hartung105
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: What is this part? Air intake boot? Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Try Shoe Goo or clear polyurethane caulk

Good call on the Shoe Goo. I love that stuff.

Still put a whole bunch of black silicone over all the cracked areas, seems to bond well and it really flexible. It's pretty ugly but nobody will see it when installed.
kenwilfy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2023 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: What is this part? Air intake boot? Reply with quote

We actually have some of these boots as a new part in stock. Here is a link to it on our website:
https://www.vanagain.com/product/alternator-intake-boot-for-air-cooled-vanagon

If you have any questions let me know. If not just order through the site and we will get them on the way. They are a reproduction, not OEM so they are brand new rubber.
John 3:16
www.vanagain.com
856-327-4936
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2023 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: What is this part? Air intake boot? Reply with quote

I just received an email from our favorite vendor with this part on it.

Edit: Haha, see post just above ^^^

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: