Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Three-point seatbelt conversions?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
fluxcap
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In addition to that picture, the website also has these lengths to watch for.
Quote:
......Available Fully Extended Lengths.Lengths listed are approximate.
85" Long: 5" of webbing remains outside of the retractor when fully retracted.
110" Long: 30" of webbing remains outside of the retractor when fully retracted.
125" Long: 45" of webbing remains outside of the retractor when fully retracted.
140" Long: 60" of webbing remains outside of retractor when fully retracted.

The belts in my bug are way to long and will not fully retract, which leaves a bunch of extra belt just flopping around driving me crazy (ocd).

So when I bought the Andover belts for my bus, I measured from where the retractor would be mounted, up to the shoulder mount area, then back down to the lower attachment point. I then made sure the measurement I calculated was GREATER than the amount of webbing that remains outside of the retractor when fully extended. Just so it would be sure to fully retract.

Of course this is all dependent on you and your co-pilots size. A bigger person may still need a longer belt.

I can't find my order info, but I'm fairly certain my picture on page 3 (also a 66 walk through) is either the 110" or 125" length with a 2 1/2" extender. If I can remember, I'll try to verify the length when I get home.

"It's like, how much more black could this be, and the answer is none.......none more black."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
offshores
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. I saw all that info on their website, but still had questions and looking for feedback on real life applications and what people are using and happy with. It looks like I could go 110”, 125” or 140” and have all work out. I’m not exactly sure where I’m going to mount the retractor yet, but most likely will be just like Fluxcap did. So, just trying to avoid things like you’re experiencing with your Bug and other issues I may not have thought about.
The measuring points are also to mounting locations, but then if you use a 2 ½” extension on top then there’s a 5” difference right there. Is the side buckle adjustable?

I’m 6’3” and 225 lbs and my wife is 5’2” 115 lbs. Does that mean I need to get 2 different size belts?
fluxcap
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been trying to find my receipt for the belts so I could verify exactly what kit I have, but no luck so far.

I pulled my seatbelt out as far as it would go and did my best to measure it. Using a tape measure, the best reading I could get was in the ballpark of 120", so I'm guessing I have the 125" length, with a 2 1/2 post extension.

I also measured from the top of the retractor (where the belt exits) up to where the belt loops over the shoulder mount and that was 28". Then back down to the attachment point was another 30", for a total of 58" sticking out when the seatbelt is not being used.

I'm only 5'6" and around 135lbs; the 125" length works great for me and my wife. My dad is a little over 6' and closer to 200lbs, and he needed to pull the belt out just about as far as it would go last time he sat up front.

Now here's where I'm little confused. The pic below is my side buckle, and it's pulled out as long as it will go. The webbing portion measures at right about 12". But the 2 1/2 post extension kit currently listed only has a 20" and 26" non-sleeved side buckle. The 8 1/2 post extension kit does have a 12" non-sleeved option. Not sure why the 12" non-sleeved side buckle is currently only showing on that option, but I'm pretty sure that must be what I have. I think the 20" option would work just as well as you could always shorten it if needed.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

"It's like, how much more black could this be, and the answer is none.......none more black."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EDragnDean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any experience with these? Sold as fits bus 50-79 manufactured by Retrobelt.

http://www.mamotorworks.com/VW/product/3Pt_Seatbelts_With_Hardware
73 Thing http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8111202#8111202
70 BusClick to view image
offshores
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for checking and measuring all that fluxcap. So, if I went with the 140" belts installed exactly like yours I'd have 2" of extra material flapping around. Not bad, but I think no extra is better. I'm guessing also that if your dad uses your belts with the 12" side buckles I'd have no problem with the 20" side buckles and 125" with 2 1/2" post extension.
I think I'm all squared away now.
Did you also use their reinforcement plates? I'm thinking of using the RB4 plates.
Thanks again!!!
fluxcap
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah, Ive got plenty of scrap metal laying around, so I just welded up some home brew backing plates to save a few bucks. Hope the belts work out well for you! That first picture that was posted said to go from a to b to c and then add 72". That would be 130". Though I'm not really sure what they are basing that 72" measurement on. So hopefully the 125 and 20 side will do.

offshores
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just took some string and checked it out while sitting in the Bus. 125" should be fine, but then I thought I'd go 140" on driver's side and w/o door post extensions. That would eliminate the 2" of slack, but of course, they don't have the 140" w/o door post extension.
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EDragnDean wrote:
Any experience with these? Sold as fits bus 50-79 manufactured by Retrobelt.
http://www.mamotorworks.com/VW/product/3Pt_Seatbelts_With_Hardware

I'd check out the Hummer seat belts on eBay. Pretty much similar function at a cheaper price.
fluxcap
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

offshores wrote:
I just took some string and checked it out while sitting in the Bus. 125" should be fine, but then I thought I'd go 140" on driver's side and w/o door post extensions. That would eliminate the 2" of slack, but of course, they don't have the 140" w/o door post extension.

Check out the pic of the set without the extension. I'm not sure how that one even mounts at the shoulder location??? It looks like it come without any shoulder mount hardware at all.

offshores
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fluxcap wrote:
Check out the pic of the set without the extension.

Hmmm?
pierrox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry don't mean to hijack this thread, but since this is a current one, and since I'm planning to change my 71 fixed belts too, I came across that:
4 humvee belts on ebay. Those don't come with mounting hardware, but strong brackets are easy to source.
Would those fit in a bus?

Funny you mention being OCD about the belts in your beetle. I had the same reaction, but to the opposite thing... I had a convertible beetle, and no seat belts were long enough!
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pierrox wrote:
Sorry don't mean to hijack this thread, but since this is a current one, and since I'm planning to change my 71 fixed belts too, I came across that:
4 humvee belts on ebay. Those don't come with mounting hardware, but strong brackets are easy to source.
Would those fit in a bus?

I bought them for our single cab. I rough fit them and they seem to be long enough. If they are missing some hardware Summit Racing has just about everything you will need.
Pacmanfever
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to my local "Pick N Pull" junkyard and bought a set of 3 point harnesses out of a Chevy Suburban. They mount flat to the floor simply enough without needing any adaptation and were a neutral gray color which was a bonus.

The strap length seemed to match between seat height and B pillar distance, once I get them installed, I'll post details here. I preferred the Chevy design as it incorporates a tensioner pendulum so there is freedom of momement with automatic adjustment.

Our current belts are lap only with manual adjustment.
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OB Bus wrote:
I bought them for our single cab. I rough fit them and they seem to be long enough. If they are missing some hardware Summit Racing has just about everything you will need.

Just finished the install on these. The mounting hardware set from Summit was not only inexpensive it had everything I needed.
1. Fishing that backing plate up through the B pillar is easy. Getting the big bolt to catch the threads on it is a difficult, frustrating, maddening exercise.
2.They ARE short! Neither the driver or passenger belt would not stretch across my 5'10", 245 lb frame. There is a seller on eBay that has extensions that will fit the HumVee buckles for around $12?/pair. That solved the issue.
I am still very happy with them, even having to order the hardware and the extensions. Total price for the two belts was under $60 (and I have a bunch of hardware left over!).
bjonzy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What hardware is needed for the Humvee seat belt installation? I'm going to install these belts in my double cab and would like to order all parts at once... Thanks
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Summit has a kit that includes the heavy duty "L" brackets, all the nuts, bolts and the huge fender washers if you need them for the seat retractor mount.
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should have been more detailed above.
Do you have factory belt mounts - captive nuts? If not you will have to drill hoels in the floor and reinforce them with the large fender washers.
In either case you will need the angle bracket since the retractor has to be mounted vertically for the inertia reel to properly work.
I have a bench seat and the factory belt mounts. I needed another "L" bracket to be able to bolt on the receiver end of the belt. Large washers helped here also.
Are you a trim and thin person? If not you may need the seat belt extenders off of eBay.
Hope this helps more than the previous post.
DubStyle
SBS Hit Squad

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone have any pictures or suggestions for the rear seat in a bus? I know the lower mounts will go into the engine bay. What are you doing to install the upper mount? I have an idea how, but I want to make this job as clean and and easy as possible.

SBS #1
SBS #1 on FB

"The original & best lowered Split Bus website/club"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DubStyle wrote:
Does anyone have any pictures or suggestions for the rear seat in a bus? I know the lower mounts will go into the engine bay. What are you doing to install the upper mount? I have an idea how, but I want to make this job as clean and and easy as possible.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6224771&highlight=#6224771

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6845202&highlight=#6845202

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1632087&highlight=#1632087

Check out a post-1967 bus for how the upper shoulder mounts are located.
clusterluck12
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone tried these belts from Seat Belts Plus that are 133" ?

http://www.seatbeltsplus.com/product/WSCH14134C-12.html

They are $77 bucks each and purport to be made and tested only in USA. Also, looks like the dimensions are a half inch smaller at 3.5"width x 2.5"depth x 4"tall. They come with the 12" posted buckle and the endpoint button release.

they offer a $5 Hardware kit with the L-brackets and use grade 8 safety bolts.

http://www.seatbeltsplus.com/product/FHD-1046-1.html?Category_Code=3-Point-Retractable-Seat-Belts
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: