Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Cutting tools
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:33 pm    Post subject: Cutting tools Reply with quote

So here is my collection of cutting tools:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

They all have their uses but they all have shortcomings. The dremel is nice because it makes a narrow kerf but the wheels don't last long and the dremel itself has very little torque for cutting. The air saw is nice but not great for making straight lines. The electric grinder with a diablo cutting wheel on it goes thru metal like a hot knife thru warm butter but it's heavy and large and impossible to make precise cuts. The air grinder is a great tool as well, precise, lots of torque and light but I can't find 0.040" cutting wheels for it. This is what I really want: 3" - 3/8 arbor 0.040 cutting wheels. And no Diablo don't make 'em. If I can find wheels for it the air grinder will do so much for me.

Diablo wheel, beautiful to cut with but too large for what I want.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Don
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going by eyeball accuracy can be the thickness of a blade or better.
I always draw a line with marker or template/spraypaint and then cut on the line.

The guard on the angle grinder is preventing you from seeing the the line then it's in the way, should be moved or modified or well, you know. Get really good safety glasses, the goggles or the ones with shields all around the edges.

Dewalt is making some good cutoff wheels, better than the diablo ones. I used to use Forney brand but local store quit carrying it which is a shame.
http://www.dewalt.com/tool-parts/abrasives-bonded-...heels.aspx

To make the dremels more powerful I run with a transformer or variac 140 or 160 volts. Really brings it to life!!
kielbasa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree about the Dewalt cut off wheels. I bought a 5 pack 4months ago and I'm still on the first blade, and only used up a 1/4" of blade. That includes lots of sheet metal cutting, and cutting 10 12mm wheel studs. They cut clean and smooth.

It takes practice to cut really well with an cut off wheel on a grinder. I always mark what I need to cut and cut a hair larger. Then I can fine tune it on the bench grinder or a hand file. Using tape works really well for guiding your cuts.

I also agree you need to ditch the shield on the grinder. They make it a pain in the ass to cut. Just make sure you cut in a way where your not throwing sparks up in your face.
Jeff's VW Speed and Fab
4inbore.com
Kielbasa Industries
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's too easy to get off of your mark when cutting sheet metal, so rarely do I even attempt to get it right the first time. Usually I aim to cut about a 1/16" away from my target line with whatever suits the job best, plasma, wafer wheel on a grinder, sawzall. Then I use my grinder with a 60 grit flap wheel and carefully buzz the sheet exactly to the line. For inside corners where the grinder won't fit, get some carbide burrs for the pneumatic die grinder. They throw big chips, so eye goggles are a must.
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. I will try and find the Dewalt cut-off wheels.

Don

BTW I tried cutting with the angle grinder with the shield off and it scared the crap out of me! I've had enough accidents over the years to leave more than a few scars and bad memories.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took my guard off to better cut out solid body sections, but you do have to be careful with your fingers & thumbs!
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ordered 3 of these:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000LNXX4G/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'll let you know how it works out. Funny, in Canada there is no such product, I had to order it from the US.

Don
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almost forgot one more
pneumatic nibbler, its really nice for places that blades won't fit
http://www.harborfreight.com/16-gauge-air-nibbler-96661.html
I don't have this one, mine if a good bit more $$. No idea how the cheap ones hold up
Northof49
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be extremely hesitant to remove the guard from a grinder. I have heard of several deaths resulting from exploding grinder wheels where the user removed the guard. Reposition it, or yourself if necessary, but don't risk your life by removing. Despite it seeming like an annoyance, it is there for a reason and should be between you and the edge of the blade. Position yourself off to the side if necessary to improve your view of the cutting surface. I regularly experience shattering of cutting disks when they catch on something.
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a broken HF nibbler. It worked better than a expensive one I have but a part broke that converted the rotory motion to the up and down motion. I can't get the head off to try to fix it. Crying or Very sad
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an electric nibbler! I forgot all about it. I will have to update my photo.

Don
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Northof49 wrote:
I would be extremely hesitant to remove the guard from a grinder. I have heard of several deaths resulting from exploding grinder wheels where the user removed the guard.

With grinding wheels I agree that the guard should be kept on. Cutoff wheels..... not necessarily.
The thin ones are light and rarely does a large enough piece break off to cause a BIG injury. Just small painful ones mostly. And like I said use the best safety glasses and also don't smile.

I used to think using a wire brush was the most dangerous because they GRAB and take off, but then I tried using a wood cutting blade on there.
Every few years I forget and try doing that and it always ends badly. I nearly cut my foot off last time.
Der Speed Shack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

double cut shears make nice clean cuts, but have a wide kerf. when i use them im usually not to concerned with the kerf as im replacing that metal
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: