Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Anything new in upper bunks?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
debbiej
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:12 am    Post subject: Anything new in upper bunks? Reply with quote

I know a few years ago there was a lot of discussion here on making the upper bunk more comfortable. Well, we aren't getting younger and the matteress up there is still pretty thin. We wrestle a memory foam topper then a wide sleeping bag up there. It is very comfy and cozy and we sleep well. But I'm wondering if anyone has found an easier way yet.

If we are traveling it means moving the bedding every day when we close the top to move. I know we could get pop top shocks and close the top with the bed folded out (maybe?) but it is a bit of stress on the rear hinges, I think.

If we sleep below, our big old dog is inspired to join us and each night is interrupted by his efforts.

I'm going to start looking for better ways to be comfortable up there, and welcome ideas.
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We use memory foam toppers on the top bunk and down below and, as you point out, it's a hassle having to move them around. I considered redoing the upper bunk with thicker memory foam in place of the existing padding but that would require reupholstering due to the thicker foam and might also require reconstructing the upper bunk hinge so the whole thing would close up. Might not be an easy fix.
rubbachicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

using one of these cold keep puppy out of bed
tail gate net

lucy's BIG adventure

meet 'burni'

markswagen {mobile mechanic} san diego area all early VW's cared for.

619 201 0310 or 617 935 4182
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

do you have a dog bed for the puppy?
the floor can be quite cold and uncomfy for an old dog. he may be more inclined to stay down if given a nicer option..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a bad back (three surgeries & metal) and find the lower bunk more comfortable and easier to get in/out of, however, I still like sleeping upstairs in the summer!
What I use is a Thermorest self-inflating sleeping pad. It provides enough extra cush for a good nights sleep. It rolls up fairly easily and stores small.
There are several models, from super light weight to super cushy.

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I upgraded my foam in the cushions with new foam. The old foam smelled funny and was not very comfortable.

http://www.foambymail.com/conventional-seats-and-cushions.html

I ordered custom cut cushions, "Lux Foam - High Quality" with the following dimensions:

2" x 27.5" x 47.5"

2" x 44.0" x 47.5"

The total was $83. It arrived shortly thereafter, shrink wrapped. I let it air out for a day and then put the Westy upper bunk cushion covers on them. I also use a GW memory foam 1" topper. The combination of the new foam and the topper make the upper bunk very nice.

kourt

Last edited by kourt on Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:10 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nevadaesh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Debbie we know what you speak. We have two dogs and they get the lower-all the time at night. We are also of that particular age where comfort is a high priority
A few years ago we bought a double size sleeping bag that had dual air mattresses that slipped into pockets under the bag. We use both of them under the upper pad and we sleep real comfy. My better half sewed a fitted lower sheet that once it's on, it stays nice and tight. We will also have a fitted upper sheet in the future. We use sheets as they don't get in the way like sleeping bags usually do during the night, tossing and turning during the night. They also give you that "at home in bed" feel. On top of the sheet we use light throw blankets for the warm nights and a down sleeping bag we've had for over 40 years so far for those really cold nights. The down compresses very nicely when closing the top.

All of that stays up there when folding the top in the morns. It's tight but the top shuts, really with no problem. We put our pillows in stuff sacks for the day. We do have the pop top struts and highly recommend them. 20 minute installation. Amazing how much they help.

About the air mattresses. At night they are inflated and then in the morn I open the filler valves and in just a few minutes they are flat. At night the top is, of course, open and when flipping the bed open, I pause to push the air mattresses up out of the way when the two halves of the bed come together. Also very easy.

I'm in charge of the bed duties and make sure the bedding is nice and flat before folding the front half of the bed back and closing the top for the day.

Hope this helps.

Gary

ps - after inflating the air mattresses make sure they are tight together. I wonder if someone makes an air mattress that would fit the width of the bed?
newfisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not a westy owner, do not have an upper bunk, but understand lugging bedding around. I have used the Froli system in a tiny trailer with great results. It's lightweight, compacts easy and you custom build it to the size needed. I too have a wrecked back and this sytem really supported everything and made for a great sleep. We used the "Travel" system and it wasn't cheap. I will do it again in the next tiny trailer we restore.

http://www.nickleatlantic.com/products1.html
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Anything new in upper bunks? Reply with quote

debbiej wrote:

If we are traveling it means moving the bedding every day when we close the top to move. I know we could get pop top shocks and close the top with the bed folded out (maybe?) but it is a bit of stress on the rear hinges, I think.

This actually works quite well and you don't need pop top shocks. There is about 3" of space if you leave the bed folded out and close the top which should be enough room to store bedding. There shouldn't be any extra stresses on the hinges either. The pop top shocks only help lift weight added to the roof. They would have no affect in your case. I suggest you try what you are suggesting and see if it works for you. I do it all the time.
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Can you leave the 1" GW topper in place when closing the Westy top, or do you have to remove it before closing the top?

2. Did the new 2" cushions fit into the OEM covers or did you have new covers made?

kourt wrote:
I upgraded my foam in the cushions with new foam. The old foam smelled funny and was not very comfortable.

http://www.foambymail.com/conventional-seats-and-cushions.html

I ordered custom cut cushions, "Lux Foam - High Quality" with the following dimensions:

2" x 27.5" x 47.5"

2" x 44.0" x 47.5"

The total was $83. It arrived shortly thereafter, shrink wrapped. I let it air out for a day and then put the Westy upper bunk cushions on them. I also use a GW memory foam 1" topper. The combination of the new foam and the topper make the upper bunk very nice.

kourt

kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are folding the upper bed back, you'll have to roll the GW topper up and stow it in the rearmost portion of the upper bed. Once folded into four layers, the GW 1" topper fits there perfectly for storage.

My new 2" cushions fit perfectly into the OEM covers. I washed my old covers and reused them.

kourt
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! What do you feel made the biggest difference in terms of comfort (not smell Wink )... the new 2" foam or the GW 1" memory foam topper? Also, do you think 3" foam with custom covers could be a viable option?
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think 3" foam would work with the dimensions of the stock bed hinges in the upper bed. You would have to increase the dimensions of the hinges to accommodate that extra 2" when folded. If you never plan to fold your bed, this might not be a problem, but for many the option to have standing headroom is a major feature.

This new foam is hard to describe in terms of its quality. It actually feels slightly softer than the old foam, but it distributes mass more evenly. This may be a factor of the density of the new foam. It's a very subtle difference, but I noticed it.

kourt
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again. You put in 2" foam without any issues with the hinges or OEM mattress covers, correct? You mentioned that 3" foam would have to, "accommodate that extra 2" when folded."

kourt wrote:
I don't think 3" foam would work with the dimensions of the stock bed hinges in the upper bed. You would have to increase the dimensions of the hinges to accommodate that extra 2" when folded. If you never plan to fold your bed, this might not be a problem, but for many the option to have standing headroom is a major feature.

Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThankYouJerry wrote:
Thanks again. You put in 2" foam without any issues with the hinges or OEM mattress covers, correct? You mentioned that 3" foam would have to, "accommodate that extra 2" when folded."

kourt wrote:

That's an extra inch from the top cushion plus an extra inch from the bottom cushion - an extra 2 inches when folded.
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jake de Villiers wrote:
That's an extra inch from the top cushion plus an extra inch from the bottom cushion - an extra 2 inches when folded.

Exactly. My replacement foam was the same dimensions as the original foam. I did not make any attempt to add thickness to the upper bed's original cushions.

kourt
JudoJeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:26 am    Post subject: Upper Bed Extension Reply with quote

I made an extension for the upper bed, 11x4 with a piece of 5/8 plywood, foam, and cloth. Drops into the opening after you climb in, and keeps your pillow from falling out, and any kids. It stows under the pop top when it's down, in the rear of the bed.

There are many new types of foam now, any good fabric store should have several types to try. You may have to go to a mattress factory to get the super gel type. (not inexpensive!)

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1986 Vanagon GL Westfalia Camper, Bostig Sold May 10, 2021
1999 Ford GTRV Westfalia camper (30% bigger Westy layout)
debbiej
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of ideas! Froli and thermo rest look promising.
Yes, the big guy has a nice bed. He is a 12 yr old rottie. He is in great shape for his age, and kind of spoiled. In all fairness, the area behind the back seat is usually his, so he can't see why we're down there at all. The soft gate would work, a definite option. We are both short, so an extension isn't needed for comfort. Getting up and down easily is a consideration, so I think we want to leave that space open..

It is hard for me to get the leverage to pop the top when the bed is extended and the top is down, but husband can, so leaving bedding up there is definitely an option. I would cut the memory topper to be a little narrower though, it presses against the canvas of the tent.

The original foam is in good shape, but I'm sure 30 yr old foam can't be that supportive!

I like the look of the cushy self inflating matteress too....
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a GW upper cushion and I slipped some carpet foam under the stock upper mattress pads. The more nights we camp, the more comfortable I get. Anyhow, to save having to remake the bed when on the road, as mentioned we stow our pillows in a bag, but leave the bed folded out. You loose head room when the top is down.

For camping I have a piece of PVC pipe cut so that when I pop the top, I raise the bed up and wedge in my pipe. This gains the headroom back over the kitchen. Time for bed, pull the pipe and a made bed folds out.

We have a coleman air mattress for when we tent camp. It is quite comfortable and I can't help wondering if a smaller one might not work in the top area. I also like the idea of replacing the foam in the stock covers.
msinabottle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:42 pm    Post subject: BTDT Reply with quote

Have a look here:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=315208

That pad's been lovely every time I've used it.

Best!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: