Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Quality German Auto Parts
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joe B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 8:37 am    Post subject: Quality German Auto Parts Reply with quote

Anyone out there familiar with Quality German Auto Parts products? I am very interested in getting a new/rebuilt engine for my 72 and have gotten a couple of quotes from some other builders. QG's prices are certainly competitive and their products appear pretty nice but, I would like to have some testimonials from the community most in the know (thats you guys!). Any comments, concerns, bitches, gripes or complaints would be appreciated before any decision is made.

Thanks Rolling Eyes
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

man sorry to bust your bubble but in my opinion they use junk parts and build junk motors to ship to someone far away.i bought a 1914cc motor and spun a main bearing.yes i was racing a harley on the freeway and out of no where dummy light comes on...oooops i shipped the motor back to them after some words were exchanged and thomas swore i must have ran it to hot or some bs.needless to say they"fixed" it and now being an experienced engine builder im sure they changed the cam.it never had any power after i got it back so i shipped that hunk of shit back to cali.yea i got my money back but only after they deducted ALL shipping fees here and back here and back.didnt leave me much to work with but a couple of book and a scat engine kit i built my first motor and my street squareback ran consistent low 8s.there was an article in hot vws or vwt about them not to long ago.man what a joke!!! thank you staff of QUALITY german auto for helping me learn to build my own motors rather than buying someone elses suprise box. just an opinion and a few facts THANKS THOMAS!!
Air-Cooled Head
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to BUY (as opposed to build), call Shtubbys
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vochito 67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you might get in contact with anibal chico he work there but he builds engines good ones all new parts www.steelbuggin.com you can try him.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Air-Cooled Head wrote:
If you want to BUY (as opposed to build), call Shtubbys

I agree. Steve's fairly priced and an honest guy.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skoochskooch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 4:30 pm    Post subject: So Far So Good..... Reply with quote

I recently purchased a 1776cc motor from QGAP with Solex Carbs and larger oil sump last year. When it was shipped, they shipped it with the weight on the oil sump attachment, and it was cracked. When I called them about it, they sent a new one right out to me. Now I'm fairly new with Aircooled VW's, with novice experience at best, but I found them to be fairly helpful with service and How-to questions over the phone, but for the price, I felt that it wasn't a bad deal. If there was a problem, they were fine to deal with on the phone.
vwmotors
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 6:57 pm    Post subject: RE: Quality German Auto Parts Reply with quote

Hello, in response to the message that was posted I would like to defend my product and my builders, who happen to be some of the best in the industry, Anibal Chico and Julio Chico. With regards to high performance engines, These motors are built various ways depending on the customers requests, the use of the vehicle, offroad, street daily driving or racing and of course budget. I can assure you that this gentlemen was quick to talk because he DID burn up the motor RACING A HARLEY. I can tell you I know this customer did not pay for a motor with great HP or for Racing. Had he been honest with his needs maybe he would not have had a problem. We cannot be responsible for every person who purchases a longblock or engine not compatible to his driving or lack of knowledge we can only go off of what a customer tells us. Come on that happens alot people do not properly match the bottom end to the top end and BAM. I would like to point out that apparently per this guys own words we gave him the benefit of the doubt checked his engine, took care of it ( no charge) eventhough he burnt it up sent it back and then eventually refunded him minus the shipping. That sounds pretty fair and actually good because no one else would have done that especially after what he did. I have been in business for 25 years and you have mistakes we are human. We are not perfect and have had warranties. Except that they are very few, my boys put their name on every motor even on that gentlemans receipt the name was there. Every customer has the opportunity to talk directly with their builder. We do our best, we use quality components on our Rebuilts visit our website it is right there as plain as day. I take great pride in my customer service and my builders and our reputation. I welcome anyone into our shop see for yourself. There are for sure way more HAPPY customers then MAD ones. Also Mr. Joe B good for you I am happy you at least admitted NOW you know something about VW motors. Thank you all for your time my name is VALERIE QUALITY GERMAN AUTO PARTS. WE DO OUR BEST AND HEY HOLLYWOOD "HERBIE LIKES US".
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
vwmotors
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Joe B you were the one inquiring and I posted your name in place of the other bad guy at the bottom of my resonse,my apologies. I was thinking and typing so quickly I did not catch it before I submitted my response.

Valerie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can click the
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
button and change your post.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sonny
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a 1776 from them have a 1000 miles on it and have no problems so far .Would have got better heads had 041s put on . 110 cam is nice.If I have any problems will post .The nets great for in info .Like I said I would buy from them again had some ? helped Me out no problem also stay away from full flow on that small of motor not need it .Just another place to leak and running lines at exaust sucks if you put it inside fender well. Razz
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sonny wrote:
stay away from full flow on that small of motor not need it .Just another place to leak and running lines at exaust sucks if you put it inside fender well. Razz

I've been running full flow filters for 25 years on 1600 and larger engine with not one problem.

I can tell you that the filter came in handy a few times when I had internal parts break and all the metal got caught by the filter. Never a leak.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
Beetlejuice2275
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nevermind

Last edited by Beetlejuice2275 on Mon Apr 04, 2005 9:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay valerie chico,now that ive aquried a few skills(spelling not one of them)i know parts should work with one another.i wouldnt sell an unknowing person far away a high compression big cam motor with a shitty crank they just dont go together or use a case thats line bored .060 over.its like buying a 1914 with an w130 cam,whats gonna happen smoked bearings,yes valerie chico i also use quality scat part in my 64 notch s yes valerie its all steel street car and ran consistent 14.1s at the bug in.i made 5 passes in 20mins and nothing broke no harlies to race. VOTE FOR PEDRO
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as valarie chico said herself when you dont match the top end and bottom end BAM. thats right,why would you sell someone that?instead,hey maybe you should spend more money on a better crank and upgrade to larger carbs later when you got some more cash.you cant polish a turd
steel buggin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chico Performance use's New Case's and 10/10 Crank's that are all 8 dowelled and balanced ,ALL ENGINES even the single port engine.Quality German use's rebuilt case's to save you, the consumer, money. Upgrades could have been made crankshaft,case.etc but then you would have been paying more.At Chico Performance I build all my engines to handle abuse, but even then, too much abuse is never good for an engine. So, if you are going to buy an engine and you know you will be heavy on your foot, then build it around the way you drive it.Thank you

P.S Valaries last name is Torrez and I am Anibal Chico of Chico Performance Racing. I am not married to Valarie, I just work there in the day. Very Happy
Jake Raby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have dynoed one of Chico's engines here at my shop...

I was impressed.

Too bad it was a Type I Rolling Eyes
"I've never given anyone Hell, I just told them the truth and they thought it was Hell"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vrsechslvr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: RE: Quality German Auto Parts Reply with quote

vwmotors wrote:
Hello, in response to the message that was posted I would like to defend my product and my builders, who happen to be some of the best in the industry, Anibal Chico and Julio Chico. With regards to high performance engines, These motors are built various ways depending on the customers requests, the use of the vehicle, offroad, street daily driving or racing and of course budget. I can assure you that this gentlemen was quick to talk because he DID burn up the motor RACING A HARLEY. Had he been honest with his needs maybe he would not have had a problem. We cannot be responsible for every person who purchases a longblock or engine not compatible to his driving or lack of knowledge we can only go off of what a customer tells us. Come on that happens alot people do not properly match the bottom end to the top end and BAM. I would like to point out that apparently per this guys own words we gave him the benefit of the doubt checked his engine, took care of it ( no charge) eventhough he burnt it up sent it back and then eventually refunded

What a load of S*IT!
When I purchased my first ACVW, the flywheel came off and ruined the motor after a few months. No biggie as I only bought the car for $500 and had some reserve, but I didn't know anything about them at the time.
I researched what I could at the time and fell upon a VWT article outlining QGAP. Ryan Price (former editor) purchased a 1914cc for his turbo bug, raved about the workmanship and professionalism at the shop.
He was satisfied.
So along comes me. I assumed (big mistake) that if it's good enough to make VWT then it's good enough for me. I told them EXACTLY what I was using it for and even asked if I should go with a smaller sized motor. No, No the 1914 is a great motor.
WRONG!
I purchased the EXACT motor they built for VWT. I babied that car. No hard starts, nothing above 4k on the tach, not even past 65 on the freeway. It lasted less than 6 months.
Story, sure.
Driving home on a Sunday after taking the car for a wash, driving in the slow lane 60-65mph. Then all of a sudden, tick, tick, tick, tick.......BOOM! the motor exploded in less than 2 seconds. Oil and parts everywhere. No warning, no lights, nothing. Called up QGAP on Monday and explained waht happened. Of course they couldn't determine a cause without the motor. So I took off work and drove up to their shop from SD to have them look at the motor. They told me that it was my fault and I had overrevved or over-heated it. Buuuuuls*it!
It was impossible to overrev it 'cause the tach that was installed allowed me to cruise at that speed at only 3100-3300rpms.
Overheating, I think not. Didn't burn or leak oil and my lights worked. A new sender was installed with the motor.

Months passed by and I found VW Paradise. I told them the story and they biult me a fresh 1776. They also looked at the QGAP motor (what was left of it) and found that the crank had beat itself against the case. Causing the bearing to spin, closing the oil galley, breaking the rod and BOOM. Possibly caused by an un-balanced crank. Funny, I purchased their balanced crank. It was recommended.
No refund, no apology, no indepth explaination....nothing.

Sorry this is long, but I wanted you to hear my experience with them. I WILL NOT recommend them to anyone or anytime. I feel their product is crap and their customer service is the same.

It would have been nice if they gave me the 'BENEFIT of the DOUBT'!
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amen!i dont know about chicos motors but quality german motors suck.thats it for me,i beleive the question about "quality"in QGAP has been anwsered.
Bugkiller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
amen!i dont know about chicos motors but quality german motors suck.thats it for me,i beleive the question about "quality"in QGAP has been anwsered.

I dunno yet, need more info
vrsechslvr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bugkiller wrote:
I dunno yet, need more info

Your kidding right? Surprised
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: