Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

California's Roadside Smog Inspection via the B.A.R.
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:33 pm    Post subject: California's Roadside Smog Inspection via the B.A.R. Reply with quote

Hey all those here in Cali. Has anyone been "selectively" pulled over into one of our state's BAR smog check roadside checks? I know that pre-catalyst cars are exempt from the biennial smog check prior to vehicle registration but curious if anyone's been flagged into the pylons in an air-cooled car. Please discuss what transpired with the CHP officer and/or the BAR rep. Does your car raise "suspicious flags"? IE: Cal-Look car with IDA's. I have seen a couple of these checkpoints here in LA County, but was going the opposite direction.
Also, has anyone been accelerating up a freeway onramp and seen the state's sniffer out there trolling for gross polluters? I have in my '71 Bus that has Kadrons and I immediately "backed out of the throttle" as I cruised past the sniffer. There is a site that describes the situation, www.smogtips.com/remote_sensing.cfm
Out of stater's please comment if your state has a similar state run program and if you have been picked on.
Obviously, thanks in advance, Bill.

PS: I don't want to here anything about 4th amendment violations, etc. Different format here. Contact your local politicians.

PSS: Everett, if you think this belongs in the "General Chat" area, I respect your authority. I just think that this section gets a lot of views and is engine related.
offshores
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=607206&highlight=bar+roadside+smog
tattooed_pariah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

to the best of my knowledge, it's not just bi-annual smog tests that "classic" cars are exempt from, it's any sort of emissions restrictions, period. The only part of the CVC that you are still subject to obeying is that you have to have an exhaust that is less than 93db from 30 feet, and you can'ts have just straight headers, it needs to have some kind of chamber..

but I might be mistaken..

"Never worry about stepping on people's toes. People who get their toes stepped on are either sitting down, or standing still on the job."
-Admiral Arleigh Burke, USN(ret.)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dan Ruddock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am looking forward to day I can wave goodbye to @#$%^* California. Was a good place to live when I was growing up but now it sucks. Politicians will NEVER say cars are now clean enough.

Dan
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan Ruddock wrote:
I am looking forward to day I can wave goodbye to @#$%^* California. Was a good place to live when I was growing up but now it sucks. Politicians will NEVER say cars are now clean enough.

Dan

You should move to China, Dan. They got some great air there!

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Dan Ruddock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kreemoweet wrote:
Dan Ruddock wrote:

Dan

You should move to China, Dan. They got some great air there!

Never said it did not need to be cleaned up but it has become a never ending obsession.

Dan
VWporscheGT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan Ruddock wrote:

Dan

other than the people, the political climate, green nazi's, taxes, the general lack of caring for your fellow man, Cops from hell, Highway Patrol thugs, cost of living, did i mention the people... california is great.... lol a great place to visit and then go the hell home. I don't miss L.A. County whatsoever... the only reason I keep coming back is friends and Family still there. Laughing

to bring the back to the subject on hand... I had no idea california was doing roadside tests now... thats ...just aweful... can't a man pay for a illegal smog and be left alone Laughing

I like being wrong, Because, it is another opportunity to learn. If you stop learning from your mistakes than what is the point?

If you have any questions about Forged ICON 4032 VW pistons just shoot me a line.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

offshores wrote:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=607206&highlight=bar+roadside+smog

Please use this existing thread.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: