Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Syncro Front CV Boot Protection
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
canasync
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:30 pm    Post subject: Syncro Front CV Boot Protection Reply with quote

I have been looking at the CV Boot Protectors out there now for a while and have made my own replica's of the originals already, but I wonder if anyone has tried putting a Larger CV Boot from another vehicle over top of the stock boot instead.

The idea came about because one of the older guys at work used to own a mechanic/body shop in Norway and he said that they used to use this method on their Syncros and it worked great.

If anyone has done this please let me know which boots will fit (the guy at work can't remember).

Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds like an elegant solution, potentially. But I wonder if the friction between the rubber boots, with no grease between them, might just wear a hole through the CV boot rubber.
canasync
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wondering about that as well. I figure that if I put some grease between the 2 boots it would take care of this problem.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alaric.H
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use these tried and true.

http://burleysmotorsports.com/zencart/index.php?ma...i3p7lvtbl4
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
canasync
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a set of those but they are meant to protect the boots from the front only. When I was backing up once I got a twig jammed in the suspension from the rear. I saw it before it had a chance to rip the boot but it had scuffed it up a bit. This is why I was thinking of this 360 degree solution.
Alaric.H
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well you can get the nylon ones but they are 60$ each but real tuff.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
werksberg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thread hi jack here.....but along the same lines.

I'm looking at a Syncro and the front CV boots are red. OEM or aftermarket ones?

Thanks to anyone can answer my Q...

Follow my new products on my Facebook Werks Berg
Click the below ADs link for products & feedback.
Search "werksberg" on Photobucket for products photos & Please remember to buy "American made products!"
canasync
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Alaric,

Do you have a link to these Nylon boots?
warmblood58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Front CV Boot Protection Reply with quote

[quote="canasync"]I have been looking at the CV Boot Protectors out there now for a while and have made my own replica's of the originals already, but I wonder if anyone has tried putting a Larger CV Boot from another vehicle over top of the stock boot instead.

The idea came about because one of the older guys at work used to own a mechanic/body shop in Norway and he said that they used to use this method on their Syncros and it worked great.

If anyone has done this please let me know which boots will fit (the guy at work can't remember).

Thanks[/quote

One thing I started doing in the past with older fatigued non torn boots on Mercedes diesels was first cleaning boots carefully and then a 1/4 section at a time spraying boots with 3M rubberized coating - the stuff is tough and really extends boot life!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: