Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Convertible Haartz Canvas Boot - Snaps on Body?
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mscdman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:26 pm    Post subject: Convertible Haartz Canvas Boot - Snaps on Body? Reply with quote

Do the snaps to hold these haartz boots attach to the body of the car or are they screwed into the rear bow?

Also if I am having my vehicle repainted now, is it better to have the snaps added AFTER the paint is completed and risk chipping/cracking the paint?
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some good pictures and details that describe how they go in this fine work

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/ghia_top_assembly/A-83A_Ghia_Top_Assembly.pdf

Look at page 32 and 37 for pictures. One stud goes on the side of the car just behind the door and most of the others go on the dress trim.

In short, paint the car first add the snaps last. Have some touch up paint kept after the respray so you can deal with chips and cracks.

Nicholas
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
NOVA Airhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: Convertible Haartz Canvas Boot - Snaps on Body? Reply with quote

Mscdman wrote:
Do the snaps to hold these haartz boots attach to the body of the car or are they screwed into the rear bow?

Also if I am having my vehicle repainted now, is it better to have the snaps added AFTER the paint is completed and risk chipping/cracking the paint?

On my car I approached this just as I would the trim pieces, all of which I removed before painting.

I would install the snaps first and make sure the boot fits properly. Then remove the snaps, paint and reinstall.
Mscdman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like your idea nova. Problem is the instructions above seem really complex fr something that in my mind, should be very simple.

Would installation best be done by a body shop or a convertible guy?

I don't want to risk damaging the body paint
Mscdman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Need to re-invigorate this topic. I did a search and there are several threads on installing convertible boot snaps on an early year Ghia. The problem is, I see it shown two different ways. Some snaps are actually screwed into the body metal of the car - this seems wrong. Others are installed through the convertible top and through the rear convertible chrome molding.

1) Which way is correct?

2) What if you don't have/don't want to use the factory rear convertible trim? Do the snaps just screw into the top through the convertible canvas?
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can provide observations to support either method.

This cherry red '65 is still owned by the original owner. Although he had a thorough and accurate restoration done over 10 years ago as well as a new top installed, I have no reason to believe that the boot snap holes were relocated. You can see that the snap holes are on the bottom trim strip, thereby being fastened through the top material into the wooden rear bow.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

By contrast, the snaps on my '64 are on the body just behind the top. When I bought the car in '83 it still had its original top (black) though it was ripped, and the rear section had torn and pulled away from the wooden bow. But the boot cover seemed to be original (black canvas with white piping) and was reasonably solid, needing just a rinse-off and mild brushing to be presentable and usable. The boot matched up exactly with the body snaps. So I have no reason to think that the snaps were not there when new. In the photo above, that's mine (3rd car back) with a slightly later boot on.

I reviewed the factory top installation in sputnik's link. That car is a '65 but the top is from a slightly later design, like a '67. You can see this in the rear photo on page 36. VW must've utilized a later top cover when originals were possibly already discontinued. This is exactly what happened on my car when a friend located a NOS top cover in the mid 1980's for me which is on the car in the lower photo. My top is the '67/early '69 design. You can see that the rear window shape is slightly wider than the original '64 rectangle (such as on the other Ghias in the upper photo) so that the interior headliner side flaps were still in the original locations, not pulled outwards, and thereby are visible in the new wider rear window opening.
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's one more shot from the gallery supporting the location for the rear trim strip; an unrestored '64 Ghia-
Mscdman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is that shiny thing on the actual convertible top right above the driver side window???

There appears to also be one where the convertible top meets the door top on the corner...
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mscdman wrote:
What is that shiny thing...

Those are screws with finishing washers...items #14 & #15 in the illustration below.

Six of the eight snaps are fastened to the trim strip at the rear edge of the top. This is only for cars using a wooden tack strip instead of cable to secure the lower edge of the top material. The change to a cable was made in mid-'69, with the introduction of the glass rear window.

There's also a small plastic saddle that sits between the snap and the trim...seen here as item #10.

'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)
Mscdman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. However, is there supposed to be a finishing screw near the header bow on the top of the window?
smuenchrath
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 68 convertible which did not have the rear body base bow and used cables to secure the lower edge of the top material. I assume the boot snaps are fastened the same as the 69.5+ glass rear window cars?
Bleyseng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smuenchrath wrote:
I have a 68 convertible which did not have the rear body base bow and used cables to secure the lower edge of the top material. I assume the boot snaps are fastened the same as the 69.5+ glass rear window cars?

Yes, and the boot I got had the snaps in a bag. I just marked where the snaps on the car were and then installed them on the boot. Yes, it's a tight fit at first but the boot does stretch some later.
87 Syncro Westy Titan Red 2.1L 2 knob 100k miles
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mscdman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any thoughts on my question? I'm a little concerned about what looks to be a finishing screw in the convertible top near the header bow. Looks out of place. Supposed to be there?
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mscdman wrote:
Thank you. However, is there supposed to be a finishing screw near the header bow on the top of the window?

Yes, the same screw and finishing washer is also found above the door window on each side, about 7 1/2" back from the front corner of the top. It can be seen on the green convertible's top in Rome's post above.
'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: