Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vintage Speed Exhaust Recent?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnnyRingo wrote:
If I go with A1 again I will order it with the v/band clamp.....it was a pain removing the three bolts every time to remove muffler.

X2 on that! I'd also add that if I get another sidewinder it will be just the collector, then I will "graft" a smaller muffler to it. The MONDO muffler that usually comes with it is just too damn loud and annoying on long trips. Confused
mightywizard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought I VS sport exhaust for my Mexican T1 and it has been a nightmare. The Mexican bugs have chassis "box sections" welded to the rear bumper mounts which makes them about 1cm narrower than the standard 70's bug.

I have to cut out the body work to get the exhaust in but now the tail pipe is rubbing on the rear apron and noise inside is horrible.

I am not impressed. Theses exhausts are "adjustable" because the quality just isn't there to make them fit right the first time.

I'm now face with having t have my rear apron cut and resprayed so that I can drive the thing. That alone will cost more than the exhaust.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JohnnyRingo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mightywizard wrote:
I bought I VS sport exhaust for my Mexican T1 and it has been a nightmare. The Mexican bugs have chassis "box sections" welded to the rear bumper mounts which makes them about 1cm narrower than the standard 70's bug.

I have to cut out the body work to get the exhaust in but now the tail pipe is rubbing on the rear apron and noise inside is horrible.

I am not impressed. Theses exhausts are "adjustable" because the quality just isn't there to make them fit right the first time.

I'm now face with having t have my rear apron cut and resprayed so that I can drive the thing. That alone will cost more than the exhaust.
Sell it and and count your loss....and the lesson. Cheaper than hacking you're beetle. Hope you can find something better.
flemcadiddlehopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pyrOman wrote:
JohnnyRingo wrote:
If I go with A1 again I will order it with the v/band clamp.....it was a pain removing the three bolts every time to remove muffler.

X2 on that! I'd also add that if I get another sidewinder it will be just the collector, then I will "graft" a smaller muffler to it. The MONDO muffler that usually comes with it is just too damn loud and annoying on long trips. Confused

So, who makes this set-up then for the Python/sidewinder style exhaust? 'cus I like the look of it and 2 mufflers gotta calm the sound a fare bit.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Gordo.

Retrograde Garage. Vintage Aircooled, and others.
VWsArent4Hippies
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnnyRingo wrote:
mightywizard wrote:

Sell it and and count your loss....and the lesson. Cheaper than hacking you're beetle. Hope you can find something better.

Or you could stop complaining on a forum that has nothing to do with the item you purchased and contact the manufacturer. Have you done that?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kenshapiro2002
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpribanic wrote:
Planning on putting a 4 tip on my panel in the near future!

Don't we need side exits on our buses to stay alive?

Looking for '67 Engine / Block HO 183xxx - HO 194xxx
jeremyrockjock
Samba Towbar Builder

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought the lowered bus model for my 15 window and once installed it was rubbing the apron and the pressed bumper would not go on. I love the exhaust so I did not want to get rid of it. I looked at it for a bit and realized that the flanges could move forward about 3/4" and that would make a big difference. I reluctantly cut off the flanges and bored out the old welds and re fitted the whole muffler forward and tilted down slightly. Fits very nicely now and you can't even tell its modified.

Red Fau Veh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool Jeremy, and now you have the thing in the way of a nice hitch! Are you going to make a hitch to work with the VS system because I need one if you do. Cool
1961 Swivel Seat camper, L345 grey
Touch Nicks Thing wrote:
Swivel Seat panels are for people with no friends Crying or Very sad
jeremyrockjock
Samba Towbar Builder

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be really tricky. There's not much room for a hanger
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeremyrockjock wrote:
That would be really tricky. There's not much room for a hanger

Not to highjack but this may give you an idea!?! Wink

The hitch clears everything... then the bumper is grafted unto it! Cool

Planning on doing something similar for the Plump Truck too. Razz
jeremyrockjock
Samba Towbar Builder

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my "rules" when making accessories is to not have to modify or damage any OG VW parts to install it. Wink
zuggbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeremyrockjock wrote:
I bought the lowered bus model for my 15 window and once installed it was rubbing the apron and the pressed bumper would not go on. I love the exhaust so I did not want to get rid of it. I looked at it for a bit and realized that the flanges could move forward about 3/4" and that would make a big difference. I reluctantly cut off the flanges and bored out the old welds and re fitted the whole muffler forward and tilted down slightly. Fits very nicely now and you can't even tell its modified.

Applause Applause As always, fantastic job.
earlywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job, looks like it would clear a '55 -59 straight apron now?
jeremyrockjock
Samba Towbar Builder

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably so Eric
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeremyrockjock wrote:
One of my "rules" when making accessories is to not have to modify or damage any OG VW parts to install it. Wink

FTR, the bumper I grafted unto the hitch was an already bent repro I got for some $20. Cool

On topic, I wonder just how much actual research the aftermarket manufacturers do when designing exhaust systems and other stuff!?! Confused

With the sidewinder I also had to get the MONDO muffler modified as the tail pipe was too close to the bumper/hitch braket. Though Tiger at A-1 took care of it within minutes, I belive that could have been avoided with a little more effort in developement. Just like you found that slightly "shorter" pipes makes your Vintage Speed muffler clear the apron. Eh?

Before:

After about an inch cut short:

mg6770
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like this exhaust but I'm curious if anyone else has experienced the same thing that happened to me. This actually happened twice. 2 liter motor, stock height, nothing out of the ordinary. This is the driver side header and it completely separated from the flange that goes to the head.

Anyone else?
Phil 4:13
JohnnyRingo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wonder since the exhaust has to be tweeked so much, and tightened in a certain way that it produced stress on the flange and when stainless gets hot it gets hot and caused it to separate and also maybe not a very good tig weld....tig welds can look pretty but dosent matter without the penetration. I would think vs would stand behind his product, and replace it?
mg6770
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnnyRingo wrote:
Just wonder since the exhaust has to be tweeked so much, and tightened in a certain way that it produced stress on the flange and when stainless gets hot it gets hot and caused it to separate and also maybe not a very good tig weld....tig welds can look pretty but dosent matter without the penetration. I would think vs would stand behind his product, and replace it?

Yes they do stand behind and provided me with a replacement. The replacement is the one in the picture. I got about 18 months of use out of it until I noticed it did the same thing. I've been in contact with them again because I discovered a crack on the exhaust itself where it connects with this header. I sent them a picture of it and he said they'd replace it. One thing that has me skeptical is that they asked for a P.O. (purchase order number) from when I purchased it 3 years ago so I've got some searching to do (paid in cash.) To their credit, he has kept communication with me so I'll see how this plays out.
mg6770
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mg6770 wrote:
JohnnyRingo wrote:

Yes they do stand behind and provided me with a replacement. The replacement is the one in the picture. I got about 18 months of use out of it until I noticed it did the same thing. I've been in contact with them again because I discovered a crack on the exhaust itself where it connects with this header. I sent them a picture of it and he said they'd replace it. One thing that has me skeptical is that they asked for a P.O. (purchase order number) from when I purchased it 3 years ago so I've got some searching to do (paid in cash.) To their credit, he has kept communication with me so I'll see how this plays out.

Glad to update on my situation. Vintage Speed stands by their product and is a good company to buy from. As well I'd like to give John at TopLine Parts a big thank you for helping me in the matter. I purchased this exhaust through John in 2011 (even earlier than I thought previously), paid cash and he gave me a receipt. Since then they have upgraded their internal system and everything is logged digitally. I was skeptical because that meant he had to dig through boxes of old receipts just to verify mine. Well after talking with him, John did that very thing and found my invoice. He then contacted VS and they sent out a new one immediately. I'm very pleased with there customer service. I'd definitely recommend this exhaust.
SCZ9-1-1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been running vintagespeed on my stock height bus and really like them. First one I had got in the way when I put on a rear hurst bumper and I got a diffferent one with a straight tailpipe on the left. I solved the problem of the apron touching it by getting a couple of thick washers as spacers between the apron and body mounts. It pushed the apron out enough to clear the muffler but now affect the engine hatch.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: