Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VW BUS Heat
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
leuzinger33
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:31 pm    Post subject: VW BUS Heat Reply with quote

I live in Denver and would like to buy a VW BUS 1970 or newer does anyone have any advice on how to keep windshield defrosted? Are there any after market fans that can be installed to keep winshield defrosted?
Thank's for any suggestions
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to buy one without the heater boxes and fat hose to the front rusted off. Even then, they are not going to be toasty.
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The stock system does great as long as you have all the proper parts. I live in Durango and have no problem only using the stock system. I have a buddy who uses one of the Harbor Freight defrost fans but he doesn't have a proper Vw system. You can also add a booster fan to the stock system.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
bsairhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own a 71 bus with good door seals and factory heater system. I have heat and defrost in the same amount of time as any of my water cooled cars. The difference is you got to drive the cold out of it.
PITApan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: VW BUS Heat Reply with quote

leuzinger33 wrote:
I live in Denver and would like to buy a VW BUS 1970 or newer does anyone have any advice on how to keep windshield defrosted? Are there any after market fans that can be installed to keep winshield defrosted?
Thank's for any suggestions

I could be a wiseass and tell you VW buses are still being made and the new ones have super heating systems, heated seats, etc.

Or I could tell you that you want '75 or older to get the coveted collectors plates (Don't think that changes by county).

Or I might mention that if you want real heat like a water cooled car then buy a water cooled car.

Defrosting and defogging are not the same thing. If you want something to melt the ice off the windshield in the morning I recommend a heated garage. My little Toy truck has been without heat all winter (I'm in the denver are) The blower is out. I have a bare trickle of heat rising from the dash. But no fogging problems. I got a little on the side windows on a cold morning last week. This tells me that if I get the leaks out the stock VW system on the type 4 motor will do fine for defogging. The interior might be cold, but there are other ways of dealing with that one.

There are a zillion threads on buses and heating. Settle back with a B and a beer and start reading. Laughing
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bsairhead wrote:
The difference is you got to drive the cold out of it.

Agreed, if you aren't making horsepower you aren't making heat, retarding the timing a little in the winter helps but when the temp drops below 32 degrees and you are in a rush the best answer I've found is this here magic knob:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soon after I bought my '69 camper I wasn't satisfied with the heat in the cabin and I replaced the OG heat exchangers with Dansk exchangers. The result was less heat. If you have OG heat exchangers keep them and repair as necessary. They have more fins than the replacements and transfer more heat. I have a 12V window heater/fan/defroster from Harbor Freight. The mount for it fits into the OG speaker grill with screws and requires no new holes or hacks. It does it's job to keep the windshield free of condensation from the interior moisture from my breath. I have a Mr Buddy heater on the pax side floor and it does it's job also, but it produces moisture as well as heat. i have driven for many hours and the inside temperature did not get above 37 degrees in the cabin. The moustache has frozen to the pillow at night and the bottles of water are undrinkable because they are solid ice. The harbor freight windshield heater/fan will supplement the OG heating system.

Aloha
tp
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy fix, move to California and forget the cold Very Happy

Stock system on a '70 would be fine. If you have stock heater components and your thermostat flaps work on the motor.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
secretsubmariner
Champagne Wrangler

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll have a better chance at getting heat if you make sure the heating system is working properly.

This site looks like it was made in 2003, but it has a great write up.
http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/freemefromthishell/vw/T2%20Heating.htm

Everything can be fixed. I've seen threads on here where people have insulated and really spruced up the heating system underneath.

The search function is your friend!
1970 Auto Fastback FI
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for "improving" the stock system, here is a thing that I saw that I'm going to try out:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=551087

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
...the best answer I've found is this here magic knob:

👍👍
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PITApan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

secretsubmariner wrote:
You'll have a better chance at getting heat if you make sure the heating system is working properly.

Everything can be fixed. I've seen threads on here where people have insulated and really spruced up the heating system underneath.

"I refuse to drive anywhere wearing four pairs of socks, thermal undies, three jumpers and a woolly hat".
Frank Wognum

Decent write-up, if a bit limited.

But the man is a fool. (not to sugar mouth it) When you go out in cold weather you go out dressed for the cold. In a well heated car I take off my hat and gloves and open my coat. But I can be out of the vehicle and be dressed for the weather in a flash. The bus has the advantage, if your cargo bay is reasonably open, of having a place to get dressed in some warmies---army surplus over pants, an extra sweater, ski jumpers, etc. If you have to change a tire or fuss with an engine, or hoof it, you have time. If you are dealing with an accident, you do not.

The last accident I dealt with involved a minivan on it's roof at 6:30 am on a bitter morning in the snow. Traffic was just driving around it. I stop and am trying to get the van doors open---all in a matter of seconds. I get the driver out and she's wearing light slacks and a blouse. Fortunately no injuries. I put my coat on her, get her out of the road. This leaves me wearing a sweater and a couple vests, thermal undies, etc. I find her coat in the van and switch with her. By this time I'm getting chilled. if I didn't have my coat on, in my heated car, I would have had nothing to offer. I always carry a blanket and sometimes a sleeping bag. These are life savers at accident scenes, especially if there are injuries. I've dealt with a few but I've yet to have to deal with more than trivial injuries. And then there are the ones I get into myself.
kkjellquist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PITApan wrote:
By this time I'm getting chilled. if I didn't have my coat on, in my heated car, I would have had nothing to offer. I always carry a blanket and sometimes a sleeping bag. These are life savers at accident scenes, especially if there are injuries. I've dealt with a few but I've yet to have to deal with more than trivial injuries. And then there are the ones I get into myself.

Trying to drill this into my daughter who wants to wear flip-fops because shes going from a warm house to warm car to warm gym for practice. 'Uh...you're gonna be hating life if you we break down and you half to walk!' Thankfully she still has some judgement (not a teen) and will switch to proper shoes.

Turtel - http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=561195

Pisgah Bus Rally - New Year's Day
http://pisgahbusrally.blogspot.com/
Esher127
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mu Bus has all new window/door seals, and a complete heat system with German heat exchangers. It all works good down to about 30 degrees. Below that, it's comfortable in there as long as I don't take my coat/gloves off.

I certainly can't say it's anywhere near as warm as a water heated car. It's enough to defrost the windshield and I don't freeze, but I've never reached up and turned the heat down on a really cold day.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kkjellquist wrote:
PITApan wrote:
By this time I'm getting chilled. if I didn't have my coat on, in my heated car, I would have had nothing to offer. I always carry a blanket and sometimes a sleeping bag. These are life savers at accident scenes, especially if there are injuries. I've dealt with a few but I've yet to have to deal with more than trivial injuries. And then there are the ones I get into myself.

Trying to drill this into my daughter who wants to wear flip-fops because shes going from a warm house to warm car to warm gym for practice. 'Uh...you're gonna be hating life if you we break down and you half to walk!' Thankfully she still has some judgement (not a teen) and will switch to proper shoes.

I visited a lady friend in Maine decades ago who drove a Beetle to work. She carried a sleeping bag in her car and dressed for the weather which meant she had to change clothes once she entered her work place and again before she left. Her work mates had their husbands drive them to work and were poorly dress for anything more than a dash from the car into the office. They thought my friend was nuts for driving the Beetle and being prepared for getting stuck outside, while she thought they were nuts for sticking their heads in the sand (er snow) and pretending they would never have a problem driving to returning from work.

Last edited by Wildthings on Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:22 am; edited 1 time in total
tootype2crazy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1000 on the gas heater. I installed one in my bus a couple of years ago after trying every other idea I could think of to get decent heat in a bus. It was 0F for the high just the other day here in St. Louis and my bus was warm and toasty inside. And it was blowing warm air in 4 minutes after starting up. Way better than water-cooled cars if you ask me.
1970 Single Cab 2.1 turbo/EFI 6 Rib, 78 front beam, vanagon backing plates on rear (project)
2001 GTI VR6 (wife's)
Bleyseng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep, a gas heater (BN6) setup factory will blast you out and defrost the windshield in short order. They came stock for Canadian buses along with the 70amp alternator so look for one of those buses.
87 Syncro Westy Titan Red 2.1L 2 knob 100k miles
secretsubmariner
Champagne Wrangler

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PITApan wrote:
secretsubmariner wrote:

"I refuse to drive anywhere wearing four pairs of socks, thermal undies, three jumpers and a woolly hat".
Frank Wognum

But the man is a fool.

takes one to know one I guess.
1970 Auto Fastback FI
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

secretsubmariner wrote:
PITApan wrote:
secretsubmariner wrote:

Frank Wognum

But the man is a fool.

takes one to know one I guess.

I'm about tired of the trolling myself. Wonder when this guy is gonna get banned already..
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1978 December, 1971 dual port with factory heat exchangers working perfectly, 35 MPH in an ice and snow storm from Arkansas to almost the California border. Full heat diverted to the defrost and a book over the passenger side vent. Everyone wearing coats, ski hats, gloves, and dinner plate size clear spot in front of the driver to look straight forward - everything else fogged / iced up. Don't get your hopes up that your bus will be cozy warm in bad weather without an alternative heater.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: