Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Seeking: Bolt for front brake caliper
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vsyevolod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:34 pm    Post subject: Seeking: Bolt for front brake caliper Reply with quote

88 Westy 2WD.

This is the second time in 4 years this has happened... There are two big-ass bolts that hold on the front brake calipers. Hardened steel, metric, 22mm head, etc. I need a new bolt as the old one is somewhere between Seattle and San Francisco. No brake shop that I visited in SF had anything close. I'm back in Seattle now and my VW guy doesn't have easy access to them.

So... what is the actual size of this bolt?

And where do I find one?

And when I find one, do I just torque the bejeesus out of it?

Last time if memory serves, I found a Porsche Brake guy down in Georgetown who had one rattling around in a drawer.

TIA,

Stephen

syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those bolts are supposed to be torqued to 200 Ft. Lb. Were they torqued correctly in the past? Are the threads in the caliper carrier compromised?

http://www.ecstuning.com/ES470013/
'92-'94 EVs use the same bolt for the caliper carrier.
A dealer would know it by part number N90499301 if you find a friendly one that will order it for you.

Last edited by syncrodoka on Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Vsyevolod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No idea if they were torqued correctly in the past, methinks they weren't if this is the second lost bolt in the 6 years that I've owned this little baby. I torqued down the only remaining bolt on the front passenger caliper and made it back to Seattle from SF in one piece... I used my torque wrench but didn't bother at the time to see how tight I was making it.

Thanks for the part number and torque amount, absolutely brilliant.

Stephen

insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark is correct, torque to 200 ft/lbs, using red loctite and marking the bolt head with a red paint mark is advised.
buildyourown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Visit your local Tacoma Screw. They almost always come through for me.
I'll go check my parts bin...
1vw4x4
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The torque really doesn't matter much as long as they are even.
PM me your name and address and I'll send you one, as long as your
not in any hurry.

Vsyevolod wrote:
No idea if they were torqued correctly in the past, methinks they weren't if this is the second lost bolt in the 6 years that I've owned this little baby. I torqued down the only remaining bolt on the front passenger caliper and made it back to Seattle from SF in one piece... I used my torque wrench but didn't bother at the time to see how tight I was making it.

Thanks for the part number and torque amount, absolutely brilliant.

Stephen

61Scout
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Torque values should always be followed. At times even a couple pounds might be added as historical feedback from the field dictates.

Were talking brakes here, not bolting down the jump seat. Follow the correct procedures and form the habit of torquing fasteners to their proper value.

-Kevin
Remove the front spindle nut with ease: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=679567&highlight=
Remove the rear wheel bearing housing without messing with the big 46mm nut: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=679507&highlight=

-Nec Spe, Nec Metu
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

61Scout wrote:
Torque values should always be followed. At times even a couple pounds might be added as historical feedback from the field dictates.

Were talking brakes here, not bolting down the jump seat. Follow the correct procedures and form the habit of torquing fasteners to their proper value.

-Kevin

Agreed.
No time for opinions and guessing when it comes to brakes.
Others may pay the price for negligence and laziness ......
Do it right or leave it alone and pay someone who will do it properly.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree....... Don't go ignoring published torque values on vital brake parts! No matter who says that it's OK to do. (Outside of VW)

Just so we are clear here.....
We are talking about a 1986 and newer brake setup,

You have older Vans?
Different values! Do NOT go torquing 85 and earlier to 200 ft lbs!

Also notice the HUGE difference between the "Big Ass" bolts that hold the caliper mount onto the axle and the "little ass" bolts that hold the caliper onto the caliper mounting bracket.

Do as the Bentley says..... If YOU do not own a copy..... Go BUY a copy now! If you don't have the money? Give up your daily Starbucks triple mocha skim milk foam whatever designer coffee for a month! Go to McDonalds, any size 99cents..... Still?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

<<And where do I find one?>>

Let's see;
Your rolling cracker box was manufactured by VW I think.

Your best bet for locating any parts for it, just might be a VW parts counter.

Tried that?

Much too simple--I know--
Vsyevolod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1vw4x4 wrote:
PM me your name and address and I'll send you one, as long as you're not in any hurry.

Thanks guys for all the wisdom and advice. I ordered the one that Syncrodoka linked to and will torque it to 200/lb. Plus I'll go around and torque the other three to make sure.

My tech said that loctite is not used on these bolts. Is this because perhaps the heat degrades it? And what does marking the bolt head with red paint do? Just tell any wrencher that loctite has been applied?

And thanks TerryK for the condescension disguised as humour, or is it humour disguised as condescension? I do live it the town that has perhaps one of the largest populations of Vanagons anywhere. And local dealers (Carter) and VW parts stores (Campbell-Nelson) do not carry this bolt. As I mentioned earlier, the last time I needed this bolt, I found one rolling around in a Porsche brake repair guys bin.

My FLAPS didn't carry one, nor could they order it. And it's just too far out of a part for Tacoma Screw to carry. All good ideas though. VanCafe doesn't carry it, nor does GoWesty. Yet the BusDepot does. $3.00 + change and $12.00 for shipping... The place that Syncrodoka pointed me was $4.00 + change and $8.00 for shipping so I went with that.

And FWIW, I do own a Bentley. Though I've never been able to glean any useful information out of it in the hours that I put into it... That's just me though and I'm the first to admit it's my own failings as a mechanic. I think that it's been written with enough vagary to put off the weekend warrior while encouraging the pro wrencher. It gets a big WTF out of 10 in my book.

Stephen

1vw4x4
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get a thread seal (loctite) to withstand the heat. If I was you I would inspect the parts well before reassembling them. This is fairly
unusual to have these fall out. If in fact there was any chance of this
happening the factory would have taken action such as a thread seal. If you do not have this problem again, fire the previous mechanic! LOL

Vsyevolod wrote:
1vw4x4 wrote:
PM me your name and address and I'll send you one, as long as you're not in any hurry.

Thanks guys for all the wisdom and advice. I ordered the one that Syncrodoka linked to and will torque it to 200/lb. Plus I'll go around and torque the other three to make sure.

My tech said that loctite is not used on these bolts. Is this because perhaps the heat degrades it? And what does marking the bolt head with red paint do? Just tell any wrencher that loctite has been applied?

And thanks TerryK for the condescension disguised as humour, or is it humour disguised as condescension? I do live it the town that has perhaps one of the largest populations of Vanagons anywhere. And local dealers (Carter) and VW parts stores (Campbell-Nelson) do not carry this bolt. As I mentioned earlier, the last time I needed this bolt, I found one rolling around in a Porsche brake repair guys bin.

My FLAPS didn't carry one, nor could they order it. And it's just too far out of a part for Tacoma Screw to carry. All good ideas though. VanCafe doesn't carry it, nor does GoWesty. Yet the BusDepot does. $3.00 + change and $12.00 for shipping... The place that Syncrodoka pointed me was $4.00 + change and $8.00 for shipping so I went with that.

And FWIW, I do own a Bentley. Though I've never been able to glean any useful information out of it in the hours that I put into it... That's just me though and I'm the first to admit it's my own failings as a mechanic. I think that it's been written with enough vagary to put off the weekend warrior while encouraging the pro wrencher. It gets a big WTF out of 10 in my book.

Stephen

buildyourown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I have 4 of them in my bolt bin. IIRC, I replaced them when I did my big brake upgrade.
Vsyevolod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great, I'll call you when the next one falls out...

Stephen

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: