Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My Van Bandit
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
greebly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a picture of the antenna , disregard the brown zip chord, that is the connection for my tweeter.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
greebly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drilled the new quarter panels and installed the passenger side. Note to the wise, when removing your seat belts be sure to tape them at the reel so that they cannot retract too far, otherwise they will lock and not reel out. It requires a 3 point bit to open up the larger side to depress the wheel and retract the lock to unreel them, do not open the smaller side, it's the spring.

the second hole in the panel behind the seat back latching post is for another Iteration like the Z bed or camper I assume? Is it supposed to have a cover or plastic screw with a wide head, or a post to attach the rubber cap when not in use?

Can anyone identify the proper location for the seat belt anchor? I checked the Bently and there is not an image of it. I think it had been installed on the same bolt as the seat pivot. I am assuming it should mount to the upper screw location, and the seat pivot to the lower bolt location?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jstar89crx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seat belt and seat hinge share lower hole. Upper is blank on my 91.

Factory plug in open hole in quarter panel.

greebly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks jstar! That helps. Wonder what the other penetration was for?
greebly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Made a custom threshold last week and got it installed today.

newfisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Floors look great! I picked up some black/gray flooring for mine and waiting on the carpet kit from sewfine to arrive
Ar_sims
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the grey and white! I wish I didn't have the Steve Erwin tan on tan on tan. Keep up the good work
greebly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time to tackle the front end . Changing the radiator, coolant hoses, the ac condenser, all the AC fittings and lines, and it appears that I will be replacing the plastic coolant lines as well. You can see where I just replaced the steering rack bushings and hardware. New Upper ball joints and outer tie rods as well. These plastic pipes looked like they were going to fail in about 5 miles. The radiator drained weighed 16 .5 lbs.

While I have everything out I guess I'll grab a wire brush and some scotch pads and address the small amount of surface rust.
greebly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPS just delivered the upper radiator hose I ordered. Meyle part # 119 222 0014 I am underwhelmed, the OEM hoses on the van had a sidewall thickness of 5 mm, the Meyle is not quite 4 mm . it felt light and flimsy. I would say around 25% less material. I believe due to the loop in both OEM hoses that they were the optional hoses used for alloy wheels.
* Confirmed, they are the alloy optional hoses. The part numbers are still legible 255121081A lower and 255121083A Upper, Hoses look to be in great shape and I am vacillating on whether I should reuse them.
hdenter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I would trust a solid looking OEM part over a cheap aftermarket version. But that's me. Install one and keep the other under the Bench seat.

Hans
juanb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

greebly wrote:
it appears that I will be replacing the plastic coolant lines as well.
[...]
These plastic pipes looked like they were going to fail in about 5 miles.

Those are just inserts (metal/plastic) at the end of the pipes. Do a search, the problem is usually that they slide backwards, pull on the hoses connected to them, and that tension ends up pulling things out of place.

One way to fix this is to extend the effective length of the pipe with a metal insert, some hose and a few clamps. I had to do this fix in Ecuador. 18 months and one continent later, it's still like new.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
greebly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

juanb wrote:

Those are just inserts (metal/plastic) at the end of the pipes. Do a search, the problem is usually that they slide backwards, pull on the hoses connected to them, and that tension ends up pulling things out of place.

One way to fix this is to extend the effective length of the pipe with a metal insert, some hose and a few clamps. I had to do this fix in Ecuador. 18 months and one continent later, it's still like new.

I here ya, just do not ever want to fool with them again, I am completely restoring this Vanagon as I expect it will be my last one. I have seen the pop rivet into the insert fix. I really do not like the rust these have been contributing to the coolant system. The new Radiator weighs 9.6 lbs. So the old radiator was almost double in weight full of crud. And I am sure that it had been replaced at some time in Bandits past life. One of the speed nut retainers that mount the rad brackets was missing and someone had used a regular nut on the top bolt. I found the missing speed nut within the frame member along with a mouse nest.
greebly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to give you an idea of how obsessive I am with this Vanagon, here is a little work my son and I did last year on Bandit's rear end.
New whiteline Urethane bushings for the rear trailing arms.

Of course when installing the new bushings bandit required powder coating on the trailing arms, bearing box, backing plate and hub, as well as the drum. I also added new brake hardware, a new master cylinder and new brake cylinders. . Get this, I reused the brake shoes. They were not worn past tolerance, so I thought it would be alright.

That led to new shocks, bearings and stainless steel braided brake lines.

Also cleaned and applied undercoating to wheel wells.
I suppose it's all a rather foolish obsession.

\
greebly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

slowly coming along. Some before and afters pictures. Got the steel pipes in, awaiting the new heater hose. I did some cleanup in the interim.

greebly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit can now blow the blues.

More pictures of the front after the washer bottle was cleaned and reinstalled.

Pictures of the passenger side pan and beams after power washing but prior to taking a wire brush and scothbrite pad to them,

After pictures of the painted beams and undercoating.

greebly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coolant system finished, on to the AC , I am replacing the condenser for a parallel flow unit, all the lines with reduced barrier hose and Ez clip fittings, obtained a new trinary switch to fit the EZ Clip switch port 7/16-20 male. I removed the evaporator and ran acetone and alcohol through it to clean out the old sludge. It had R132 put in with the 1.8T conversion and never worked, I doubt it had been properly flushed given the sludge that came out of the evaporator. I am replacing the expansion valve as well. Both drain tubes were broken, one has evidence of being glued in the past. So my son drilled them out and we replaced them with a 1/2" barb from Home Depot after cutting the threaded section off and carefully dremeling the remainder so that it fit flush using the original angle. I should start assembling everything soon, it's been 100 degrees here the past couple of days and no relief in sight this week.

Crosshatched the plastic to ensure better tenacity of the epoxy

greebly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got the AC system completed. The redtek thread was extremely helpful as was the recent AC upgrade thread http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=583818 The resources of the Samba made the project possible From technical legwork that was easy to reference to helpful members loaning equipment.
All the AC hoses were replaced with Reduced Barrier lines and EZ clip fittings. Thanks to Judo Jeff for graciously loaning me his ezclip pliers and patiently waiting for me to return them. New parallel flow condenser, new dryer, new trinary switch Basically the entire system has been replaced with the exception of the evaporator. I removed the evaporator and flushed it with acetone and alcohol, new expansion valve, removed the compressor and flushed it with pag oil drained it and then added 6 ounces of fresh oil. I added small amounts of oil when making up the hoses. Used slightly less than 8 ounces oil total. Pulled a vacuum for 6 hours and it held vacuum for two days. slightly less than four 12 ounce cans of R134 I used a box fan when adding the Freon . Pressures were stable with a low side of 27 psi and high side around 175 psi. Static resting pressure equalized on both sides and matched the gauges for ambient temperature of 70 psi at 70° F. My outlet temp was around 37° F at idle in the driveway without the box fan, ambient was around 70° this morning. I am seeing at least a 30° inlet to outlet temperature differential. I am pleased with the results.

I used P clamps to replace the plastic OEM brackets , the reduced barrier hose is much smaller diameter. I ran out of P clamps and used one of the plastic brackets until my order comes in. The existing studs will accept a BMW / Mercedes Plastic Body Nut Flange Clip Retainer Fastener # 16131176747

I used foam pipe insulation to close up the gap on the new radiator and the parallel flow condenser, saw it here, I do not remember whom to attribute credit for the idea but it does work well.

greebly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3M 09023 Marine Vinyl Cleaner, Conditioner and Protector, like most 3M products it is expensive but generally worth the additional expense. Made a difference on my dash and Vinyl, and I have been using protectant on these but was unhappy with the results. Bandit sat Idle as two different shops over 4 years without any care. The dash soaked the conditioner up, I added several coats and will reapply in a couple of weeks.
Half done for comparison

Last edited by greebly on Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
greebly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the AC vent system back up, the repair Kit? recall bracket is available through VW parts or your dealer the part number is VW 200 298 001
This recall campaign was referenced as SU, here is a link to a PDF on the original recall campaign:
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs/jaxrs/download/doc/ACM48003/RC-93V175-NN.PDF.
So here is the deal, Call VW service and initiate a case number, explain to them that you need to fix this so that it does not drop on your toddler's head who rides in the middle of the rear seat. Once you have the case number call up your local VW dealer or online "OFFICIAL" VW parts supplier and order the repair kit using the part number I listed above. I paid $10.01 at the dealer. The repair kit can be had for $6.00 to $8.00 online but consider shipping/ Once you have taken pictures showing the vents down and the brackets added submit a reimbursement claim using the case number to VW service.
1st section installed with bracket:

newfisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AMAZING! nice work and better than new.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: