Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Replacement 1947 to 1949 ID Plate Available- What Quality?
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Martin Southwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:41 am    Post subject: Replacement 1947 to 1949 ID Plate Available- What Quality? Reply with quote

The ID plate on my 47 Beetle is in poor shape, especially with surface rust, and is in need of replacement.

There is one well known company, said to be US based, who regularly advertise on this website, and who advertise as being able to supply a 'Split ID Plate 1947-49 - $'95'.

Has anybody ever bought one of these from them, and if so, what is the quality like please? I bought some repro semaphore lenses for the 47 from this outfit, and they were rubbish, and so I'm not going to rush into buying an ID plate from them. Once bitten, twice shy.

Alternatively, does anyone know of an alternative supplier of these ID plates? Thanks for any help provided.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ivan Fuller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martin,

I have only ever seen aluminium repro plates.

Aluminium does not rust, as do the originals, so despite what some people may say the replacements out there are not correct for some 46 & 47 models.

I have been keeping an eye out for years.

I am sure the original plates are screen printed then etched in some way - maybe parkerised but I have not been able to determine how they were made from discussions with my toolmaker and plating associates.

Hope somebody can resolve this one day.
Martin Southwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:38 pm    Post subject: The Way Forward Reply with quote

Hello Ivan

The feedback on this subject is deafening! Mika contacted me to say that he thought that he had one of these repro ones amongst his collection of bits, but hasn't been able to locate it yet!

As with so many other things, Mika has suggested that making them in steel might be a possibility, depending on the etching process, but that he has a friend proficient in that Dept, and so he will explore the possibilitues.

In light of that, i've sent him my original today, which, I note, in the area where it states the year, the ID plate has 194 etched into it, and that it only has the 7 stamped (in 5mm numbers) into the steel plate. Obviously this would have speeded up the process of stamping out the numbers, as 1950 was still 2.5 years away at that stage.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
usariemen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, me again. Razz
I think in 1950 those where not used anyway.
So a pre etched 194 with an added last number will do the job.
I have it on a 1949.
A well made repro would help many car owners with totally worn ones.
But it might not be easy to make in a true looking way.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Martin Southwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:38 pm    Post subject: Let's Hope It Can Be Done Reply with quote

Let's hope Mika can work his majic on this one then. With my ID plate, very little can be seen, other than an outline of the various areas, the VW name, and the stamped numbers.
Ivan Fuller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 1946 plate for reference and a repro aluminium if required.
Martin Southwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds promising. Let's see what Mika makes of the situation, and then maybe if he thinks it's a possibility, then your 46 ID plate would be worth him looking at. Where did the repro plate come from? Is it one that is being currently offered for sale, and what is it like in reality? A passing resemblance, or a good reproduction?
Ivan Fuller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cant remember if its one I had made or bought at one of the trips to Bad Camberg years ago. Grafix were correct but wrong material. Couldn't bring myself to put it on the car.
rod_vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I join the queue for one for the '46? Mine is a terrible state. Strange that I was discussing just this subject with an engineering colleague yesterday.

A very good photograph of one in excellent condition may be the place to start with obtaining a reproduction. Does anyone have an ID plate in A1 condition?

1946 Beetle (Back on the road after over 50 years! Last major outing - Hessisch Oldendorf 2022)
2016 T6 Selfbuild Camper and a LWB MAN TGE in build.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Martin Southwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rod - If you look at what Ivan says above, then he has a good 46 ID plate available for reference, so let's see what Mika makes of mine when it arrives, and go from there. There evidently is a market for these if made correctly.

I think we've established that the item available from the company said to be in America, is not the route to go, for at least a couple of reasons. One being that they are alloy and not steel, and secondly they have 19, and 194 on their etching for the year of manufacture.
rod_vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

This is what I am hoping to get a replacement for...

Definitely see better days!

I note from the plate above that the axle weights etc are different, does anyone have details of the changes, years, fitments, deluxe or standard etc?

By the way, I've just been going back through some old paperwork and can confirm that it is forty years this year since we bought the car!

1946 Beetle (Back on the road after over 50 years! Last major outing - Hessisch Oldendorf 2022)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Martin Southwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mika is asking me if I know what font is used on these ID plates. Does anybody know?
Martin Southwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the answer lie in here somewhere? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samples_of_sans_serif_typefaces

Anybody know a good Typesetter? They would know, but they are becoming something of a rarity these days.
longboard511
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.vintagebrassplates.co.uk/

this guy does some interesting plates might be worth a phone call
rod_vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks longboard511 may well be worth a call, I've another supplier in mind as well. Whoever and where ever they are made the main stumbling block will be to get 100% accuracy as you can see from the above I don't have a sample worth copying.

Please let's have some pictures of what you have. How many variations are there?

They can be made but 100% accuracy is essential.

usariemen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get back to Germany at the 16th.
I can make then a clear sharp picture of mine if that helps.

I am in the USA actually for the first time. Arrived at thursday at aweful snow. But have great sun and good weather since friday. New York rocks!
rod_vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be great, thanks.

As there are other versions (different axle weights?) any others would be greatly appreciated.

Martin Southwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just had an e-mail from http://www.vintagebrassplates.co.uk/ as suggested above, and they can do the ID plate, but in stainless steel, but not mild steel as he calls it. At least we now know this is an option.
rod_vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another example from an early '47.

Anyone else out there with a camera that works?

Your information please.

Martin Southwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

usariemen wrote:
I get back to Germany at the 16th.
I can make then a clear sharp picture of mine if that helps.

I am in the USA actually for the first time. Arrived at thursday at aweful snow. But have great sun and good weather since friday. New York rocks!

Any chance of this close up picture please?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: