Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

~ Raceace24's 1970 Beetle project ~
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raceace24
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:56 pm    Post subject: ~ Raceace24's 1970 Beetle project ~ Reply with quote

Hi all,
I joined this site and purchased this car about a year and a half ago and have been S L O W L Y fiddling with it here and there and am about to get serious about the project, so I felt this was as good a time as ever to start this post and get it up to speed.
It is a 1970 Std Beetle without an engine, but has had quite a bit of performance suspension work already done to it, a rebuilt transaxle in it and chrome moly cv's installed.
It has the CB Performance rear disc brake setup in the back, and an early 70s Karmann Ghia front disc brake setup up front. I've purchased a set of CB Performance 2.5" drop spindles (but haven't installed them yet) and it came with an aftermarket front and rear sway bar set. it also came with a set of Billstein shocks absorbers front and rear that are like brand new!
I understand that this car had a real hammer of an engine in it at one point of it's life, and considering the taughtness of all the suspension components, I imagine that most or perhaps, ALL of the suspension components (ball joints, tie rods, rear suspension bushing are all relatively new. The car has a little over 100K on the clock, the wiring is absolutely unmolested (THANK GOD), the headliner is in really great shape, but the paint is completely dried out. Looks like a PO did an awful overcoat sometime on it in the past. It has solid, original German fenders and a great deal of it's original undercoating still in tact and actually I plan on cleaning, touching up and sealing the undercoat that is still solidly adhered to the undercarriage.
As far as the body is concerned, it came from Georgia and is virtually rust free other than a few small rust outs at the lower corners of the rear wheel housings, at the groove at the top of the firewall and below the rear window, a corner of the rear of the floorpan (opposite the battery tray, kinda odd, eh??) and right behind the spare tire where the window washer bottle sits and that is about it.
A few photos of the car when I purchased it:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I will be posting pictures and providing explanations of what I have done and what I am planning on doing.
My plan is to go with a *slightly* modified NOS Brazilian Industrial 1.6 litre aircooled VW engine I have already purchased, lower the front end, leave the rear at a relatively stock height, recondition the interior with new, different colored upholstery, powdercoat all of the trim, bumpers and the aluminum slotted wheels I already have gun metal grey, repaint the exterior in the original Diamond Blue and add an off-white two tone color on the doors below the moldings and areas between the doors and the fenders below the moldings. Sounds like a plan to me !!!
I would also appreciate a little input as far as info on certain aspects of the rebuild and as always, opinions and suggestions are always welcome !

Thanks in advance ! Laughing Laughing Cool

Last edited by Raceace24 on Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:10 pm; edited 2 times in total
Raceace24
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before pics of the NOS VW of Brazil built industrial engine that I am currently modifying to use in this project:

I was lead to believe that some of these industrial engines had low compression pistons and flat camshafts, but after doing a compression test (all cyls testing in the 125-130 PSI range) and profiling the cam lift with a dial micrometer, it has a relatively stock profile, we think that 1.25 ratio rockers, dual Weber ICT carbs and Pertronix Flamethrower III dizzy and a TriMil Hotdog exhaust may give it a little more pep ! Also throwing a 30MM filter pump in there as well.
I'm not looking for a race engine, just something that is reliable, low maintenance, and with decent throttle response and a little more torque..
Raceace24
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before pictures of some of the areas I have redone already:

Unfortunately, I didn't take any pics of the metal repair pieces I welded in.
Guess I was too busy cutting, grinding, and mig-ging to take pictures.. Rolling Eyes

Michael E ~ Raceace24
Raceace24
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brake rotors media blasted, machined and coated in ceramic brake paint:

Engine compartment cleaned, primed and base coated with Rustoleum Industrial paint:

Suspension, wheel wells, pan and rockers cleaned and coated with FOUR COATS of Rustoleum Industrial enamel paint
(the pictures really don't do the finish justice):

Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool

Michael E ~ Raceace24

Last edited by Raceace24 on Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
houseofboyd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like you're well on your way....looks like a good solid body as well! Look forward to more pics of your progress!

My '74 SB Build On The Samba: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=609943

Our Web Site: http://www.kentuckyhotwheels.com

1968 VW Beetle
2012 Turbo VW Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raceace24 wrote:
Before pics of the NOS VW of Brazil built industrial engine that I am currently modifying to use in this project:

Also throwing a 30MM filter pump in there as well.
I'm not looking for a race engine, just something that is reliable, low maintenance, and with decent throttle response and a little more torque..

Cool, looks like the shroud from the Brasilia. I'm not an expert, but I've read from others w/more experience and knowledge that a 30mm oil pump is overkill for a stock sized engine. See if anyone else can pipe in w/a good explanation yay/nay.

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
windfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vamram wrote:
I'm not an expert, but I've read from others w/more experience and knowledge that a 30mm oil pump is overkill for a stock sized engine. See if anyone else can pipe in w/a good explanation yay/nay.

That's what I've read as well, stuck a 26mm CB Maxi 2 in my 1600cc a couple months back. I've dropped the oil weight to a 0w-30 as it's still chilly out, it maintains good pressure and idles around 10psi when hot.

Good lookin' bug, neat engine.
Looks like a fun project, keep the picture updates comin'
Raceace24
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info, guys. I have done some research and think that I will have to talk with my engine builder about this. He is the one that suggested the 30MM pump over the 26MM pump..
I really would appreciate some others chiming in on this as well!

Michael E ~ Raceace24
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you get drop disc spindles for the front?

A 30mm pump is way overkill for a stock 1600. IF you install that, run a thin oil!

Where in PA are you?
Raceace24
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bashr52 wrote:

A 30mm pump is way overkill for a stock 1600. IF you install that, run a thin oil!

Where in PA are you?

Yeah, I bought CB Performance forged 2.5" drop spindles for disc brakes.

I'm thinking of just going with a CB Performance 26MM Maxi-pump instead - like I wanted to go with in the first place..

I live in sunny, warm Pittsburgh ! Cool Cool

Michael E ~ Raceace24
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The CB maxi pump is great, that's what I run using 5w/30. One note - i like the look of the VW of Mexico pump simply because of the angle of the filter connection. That angle would let me run a slightly bigger oil filter (say a Mahle c47) than I can fit in there now. I'm using a Motorcraft FL400S that WindFish recommended to me.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your '70 reminds me alot of a '69 I bought and built up about 15 years ago. Mine also came from PA but in the eastern section near Allentown. It was also engine-less and the PO sold it as a parts car. It was remarkably solid, with nearly no rust-through at all. It had a big dent in the hood (fixed in 1 minute at home with a hard fist-punch from underneath, wearing a glove), and it was two-toned black with white inserts on the sides. Wiring was also in good shape.

During the cleaning process I found out that the PurpleClean degreaser sprayed onto the spare tire well would remove the cheap black paint down to its original Peru Green.

I got it fixed mechanically, using many used parts I already had. Installed Ghia front discs, braided steel brake hoses, dropped spindles, HD front and rear sway bars. Front wheels were either 4" from a '69 or 4.5" from a Fastback that had lots of inward offset to get the outer wheel edge away from the fender due to the dropped spindles. Rears were 4.5" from a '72 which had the most outward offset (34mm). Front tires were 165's; rears were some old 175's. My engine was a 1776 single-port with Kadrons. I painted the white sides with Rust-Oleum gloss black in a spray gun, and it worked out fine. I sold it to a friend in NJ without its engine, who still has it in the family. They installed a mild 1600 runner and told me that it handles really well, better and more level than any other Beetle they ever drove.

So- you have an interesting engine. The fuel pump fastened by bolts instead of nuts, the wacky single-port intake manifold with dual-port short adapters, the sturdy thermostat flap ball-end linkage, etc.

Stick with it; once finished you'll certainly enjoy driving it. Make sure you have good safety belts in it, such as 3-point inertia reels (I went back and saw you already have those Cool ). Learn the cornering limits carefully so that you can out-corner timid drivers on curvy roads. And definitely post some photos of your ongoing progress.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Btw - why are you using an "industrial" engine?

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Raceace24
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vamram wrote:

Mainly.... because I found one. Smile
After I had already purchased the car, I had set out to find an engine for it.
As most VW enthusiasts in the northeast US already know, VWs and engines for that matter are becoming a rarity around here, so I had a limited amount of choices when it came to engine sources. I really wanted a used engine to rebuild, but couldn't find any suitable candidates, so I considered buying a reman engine and was searching for one when I happened to spot what appeared to be a new, single port engine on my local Craigslist.
The seller didn't know a lot about the engine other than his father in law had purchased it to re-power a Beetle he had that had a tired, leaky old engine. There was a tag on it from an engine distributor I have done business with (I run an industrial engine machine shop) and I learned from the engine distributor that it was a Brazilian built VW Industrial engine that was originally going to be used by some Amish folk to run a water pump on their farm.
Through some internet research and some help from some friendly, knowledgeable members of this website, I discovered it was dual port, figured out more accurately what it actually was, and that it could be used in my car with a few alterations.
I got it at a reasonable cost (only paid around $1100 for it) so that and the novelty of it made it worthwhile for me to use.
Hope that answered your question ..!

Michael E ~ Raceace24

Last edited by Raceace24 on Sun Mar 08, 2015 12:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raceace24 wrote:
Bashr52 wrote:

Where in PA are you?

I'm thinking of just going with a CB Performance 26MM Maxi-pump instead - like I wanted to go with in the first place..

Cool, I'm north of you just across the ny/pa border. Not sure what your engine plans are, but I'd definitely tap the case for full flow and run a real oil filter. I'm assuming you have a contact close to you for engine help, but if you want to get some more power back into that car and bring it back to its former glory, I can hook you up Laughing
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raceace24 wrote:
vamram wrote:

Mainly because I found one.
After I had already purchased the car, I had set out to find an engine for it.
As most VW enthusiasts in the northeast US already know, VWs and engines for that matter are becoming a rarity around here, so I had a limited amount of choices when it came to engine sources. I really wanted a used engine to rebuild, but couldn't find any suitable candidates, so I considered buying a reman engine and was searching for one when I happened to spot what appeared to be a new, single port engine on the local Craigslist. The seller didn't know a lot about the engine other than his father in law has purchased it to repower a vehicle he had that had a tired, leaky old engine. There was a tag on it from an engine distributor I have done business with ( I run an industrial engine machine shop) and learned from the engine distributor that it was a Brazilian built VW Industrial engine that was originally going to be used by some Amish folk to run a water pump on their farm.
Through some research and some help from some friendly folk at this website, I discovered it was dual port, figured out better what it actually was, and that it could be used in my car with a few alterations.
I got it for a reasonable cost (only paid around $1100 for it) so that and the novelty of it made it worthwhile for me to use.
Hope that answered your question ..!

Sure did! Thanks! Looking forward to seeing how it runs when attached to a Bug!

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Raceace24
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bashr52 wrote:
Raceace24 wrote:
Bashr52 wrote:

Where in PA are you?

Cool, I'm north of you just across the ny/pa border. Not sure what your engine plans are, but I'd definitely tap the case for full flow and run a real oil filter. I'm assuming you have a contact close to you for engine help, but if you want to get some more power back into that car and bring it back to its former glory, I can hook you up Laughing

I'm going to go with the CB filter/ pump as far as oil mods are concerned.....for now.
I know a full flow case is better, but at this point, I see no reason to disassemble or drill and tap a virgin built block/ engine right now, otherwise I'd be sticking in bigger jugs and pistons and at least a forged, counter-weighted crank too.
This is a new engine and with care should run well for years as it is because it is only going to be a weekend/ sunny day toy for me.
If the engine isn't strong enough for me after it is in for a while, I may consider tearing back into it and adding some real punch to it, but for now, I'm going to go with the few mods I've listed above.
I definitely will get with you if I decide to "pep it up", though and appreciate the offer !!! Smile

Michael E ~ Raceace24
Raceace24
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found and purchased some newly upholstered seats and new interior panels from BamBoomwagens to replace my dried out/ horsehair leaking original black seats and door panels:

Should brighten up the interior a bit !!! Smile Cool

Michael E ~ Raceace24
Raceace24
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dumb question time.. Wink
Because I am installing drop spindles, I understand that I should also install caster shims to make the car more stable at highway speeds.
While cleaning/ inspecting/ painting my front suspension, I noticed these on my lower front axle beams:

Are these not the shims I should use or are these stock and should I install additional or thicker ones...?

Michael E ~ Raceace24
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raceace24 wrote:
Found and purchased some newly upholstered seats and new interior panels from BamBoomwagens to replace my dried out/ horsehair leaking original black seats and door panels:

Should brighten up the interior a bit !!! Smile Cool

Sweet find!! I ordered almost the same seat covers from JBugs a couple of weeks back for my '72 Super. Blue sapphire tweed inserts rather than velour, and a cream/ivory colored vinyl. Did you buy the seats already done? Or did you upholster them yourself?

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: