Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

a desperate cry for help (Utah)
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ammocan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:11 pm    Post subject: a desperate cry for help (Utah) Reply with quote

so I know that I'm in the wrong forum for fiberglass buggies but I come in peace and hope you will welcome me into your clan.

Im here because I have a roll cage issue and I know that I'm in the right place to get my issue resolved.

I am doing a simple addition to my roll bar to cage the rear seat in my buggy and I literally need 2 bends to get the job done. I'm doing a whole build project so a bender is not in the budget right now and I thought that it would be easy to find someone in my area with a bender that could do two bends for cheap or a 24 pack but I am stunned to find that I could only find 1 shop anywhere near me and they wand way to much for 2 bends. its 2 bends to 65 deg. and I know its like 15 min of work.

anyway below you can see what I mocked up with a cut and weld job but I hate it and I want the tubing bent. I am here pleading for anyone who is in my area anywhere from Provo to Ogden in Utah who has a bender that is willing to help me out. I'm also looking for any ideas or recommendations from you experienced builders on this. I'm trying to get my chassis wrapped up but I'm hung up on this problem. so anyway just trying to network a little and get some ideas. thanks\
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by ammocan on Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:20 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vdub411
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you checked local muffler shops? They do all my tube bending for beer and pot pies.
SandRails Coming Soon!!!
sandhopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy or build the bender , around $500 then you can do the bends for everyone in your area
It will be a tool that lasts and if you decide to sell you will get back most of the cost if not more
I picked up my first bender at a swap meet for $200 added a HF air over Hyd and bent many tubes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DWP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do a search for a speed shop, what i used before i got a bender.
Or any place that fabricates race cars. With the salt flats near there has to be one.
DWP
ORANGECRUSHer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm curious how much two bends would cost to make you hold up your project for?
Berrien Warrior 2.4L Quad4
LAZY MARY 1970 Baja 1835cc
DWP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the shops near me charged 15.00 a bend.
DO NOT waste money on a harbor freight bender. Do a search first.

DWP
ammocan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ORANGECRUSHer wrote:
I'm curious how much two bends would cost to make you hold up your project for?

So the one shop i found that could do it quoted me $75 which was an hr of his shop time. I personally thought that for 2 bends it was a little steep.

VVdub411- I originally checked muffler shops for bending and for exhaust flange couplers but i struck out everywhere I called. Places that did exhaust work had extruding benders for thin wall exhaust pipe and the crimp benders that leave 30 little crimps in the pipe like the cheap fittings you get at an auto parts store and none of these shops had the flanges i was looking for. I was dumbfounded that there was no shop around that could help me BUT i started calling around again and someone recommended an old muffler shop about 20 min away. I called them and they said it would be no problem so i took my tubing to them and they did both my bends for 10 bucks. They bend tubing all day long for $5 a bend. This means for the quote i got from the one shop i found this muffler shop would do all the bends in a 6 point cage for the same price as the dude that quoted me $75 and they are tight perfect bends. Thanks Vdub411. I almost dismissed your comments because i already did that but i decided to try again.

Thanks everyone. It took a LOT of effort to finally find this shop.

Last edited by ammocan on Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ammocan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For anyone in the area that is interested the business is RICKS MUFFLER 227 W 990 N, Orem, ut 801-225-5404. Good dudes there, great shop and cheap.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Ammo, I know it's a fiberglass buggy. But that doesn't mean that it isn't at all related to offroad. That was the original purpose for Bruce Meyers. I know the Glitterbug in my back yard will be an offroad worthy car. So could ya at least show us the car?
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ammocan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dustymojave wrote:
So Ammo, I know it's a fiberglass buggy. But that doesn't mean that it isn't at all related to offroad. That was the original purpose for Bruce Meyers. I know the Glitterbug in my back yard will be an offroad worthy car. So could ya at least show us the car?

Ya I'm actually building it for off mostly off road. More off-road touring rather than aggressive off road or rock crawling but im actually doing a build thread on the fiberglass buggy forum. Thanks everyone for you help on this issue. As far as what my ride looks like well not much right now.
this is what it looked like 5 months ago

this is what it looks like right now with the chassis nearly complete

and this is what i want it to look like (sort of)

better top and roll bar and a few other differnces but this is the goal for summer
vdub411
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy I could help. Your build is looking pretty sweet. Good luck!!!
SandRails Coming Soon!!!
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Work faster, season is almost here....

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ammocan wrote:

Ya I'm actually building it for off mostly off road. More off-road touring rather than aggressive off road or rock crawling but im actually doing a build thread on the fiberglass buggy forum. Thanks everyone for you help on this issue. As far as what my ride looks like well not much right now.
this is what it looked like 5 months ago

Nice start. I see a few issues with the orange car, but I get that you are saying you want yours to be basically similar to that one. If you're going to use the back seat, make sure the passengers will have head room and protection unlike the orange car. And the orange car has as much travel as the swingaxle will allow, but it needs to be restricted on droop to prevent excessive camber as is shown. I know the engine cage in that pic is an empty basket, so it's at full droop, but it shouldn't be able to get that far. I like the teal-blue color on your car.

Here's a buggy I recently helped a friend build.

Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
ammocan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya i saw the same issues. I had my daughter in the back of the buggy to check clearances and the car seats and i did pretty well keeping heads away from bars. The other issue I saw with the orange buggy is the roll bar looks like it was bent out of a broom handle. Both those roll cage issues I resolves in mine. This is where its at right now. A little more to go in the cage but thats the basic design.

The teal is actually going away. In pictures it looms ok but in person its pretty bad looking. It was not well done and it will be getting orange because its what the wife wants. That buggy you did looks fantastic.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: