Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Syncro Transaxle / Engine Conversion? How many miles?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

Syncro Transmission/Engine? How many miles on your transaxle?
SVX Engine
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
H6
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
1.8T
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
TDI
8%
 8%  [ 2 ]
Subaru 2.5
8%
 8%  [ 2 ]
Subaru 2.2
13%
 13%  [ 3 ]
Zetec
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Bostig
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Stock VW
34%
 34%  [ 8 ]
Other
26%
 26%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 23

Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Syncro Jael wrote:
BIGGER is better Wink

Yup! But Big Fun costs Big Wallet.

I was very suprised you did not go to a Bigger Motor Twisted Evil

and in my very biased opinion, BFG rules, Duratrac is just another wanna be.

I suspect your tranny will be fine for a long time, since you limit the length of your drives to limit the max temperature of your transaxle to what was it 170f? I agree with that strategy completely.

The Only thing you are doing that might reduce tranny life, is to run Synthetic gear oil, when gears says to use Swepco on high powered motors.. but then, your 137 hp motor is not what I would call high powered. Nor do I consider your 27.8" (10% larger than stock) tires very BIG. However, yes, when I had a motor like yours in a Syncro, I limited myself to 27x8.5x14, 26.8" diameter (6% larger).

And imho, if you keep to 65mph or below, you wont experience damaging heat expansion of your tranny...

The only other thing about your build that might be challenging to your hardware, is the vehicle weight, which is another reason why I emphasize lower speeds are easier on the tranny.. If I did not know how heavily invested you are in your build, and how much you actually use your syncro, Id be thinking you were approaching being a Sprinter candidate.

anyway, dont worry, be happy, youve got a solid build that hopefully will last forever Smile

Last edited by Jon_slider on Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:45 am; edited 1 time in total
bstein
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Syncro Jael wrote:

I was hoping that the poll and responses would coincide. I know, this isn't working like I had hoped. Sorry.

As someone new to this world, specifically with a Syncro and thinking about engine swap/transmission implications ... this was hugely helpful.

I've read the oil threads, transmission cooler/rebuild threads, and found a few other engine swap threads I previously missed!

Of course I could have a little more sleep last night ... so nothing is prefect. Razz

Brian
Californio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As of now, 46% of respondents had "other"engines. What are those mystery engines? OP seems to have had all the obvious conversion choices covered. Mine's a Tiico...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: