Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What is this wire?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kduvey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:35 pm    Post subject: What is this wire? Reply with quote

87 westy, mostly stock. Found a couple loose wires and mods from a PO id like to understand. Rather than typing it up, I thought it would be easier to make a video. The video is in HD and will look better after Youtube finishes processing it:

Link

Thanks in advance for any responses
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an earlier van so cannot answer offhand, but it may be worth your while to learn the trick to reading the wiring diagrams in the Bentley. Once you get the hang of the current track approach to documenting the harness many things will become clear.

In this case - you'll be looking for that grey/white wire.

BTW - you must have nodded off in either 7th grade health class or 8th grade shop -- as I think you have your male and female connectors confused. Wink
kduvey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahwahnee wrote:

BTW - you must have nodded off in either 7th grade health class or 8th grade shop -- as I think you have your male and female connectors confused. Wink

Hah, yes. Problem is both connectors have a female and a male part... if the metal part is male than the yellow plastic part is female, and visa versa. So maybe both ends are hermaphrodite connectors?

Whatever, Im sure everyone gets the point Shocked
kduvey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, quick update.

I took a look at my buddies 87 wiring. Turns out hes got the exact same grey/white connector that goes nowhere. Maybe thats just how it was from the factory?

However, I could not find the yellow wire anywhere. I search high and low but could not find a solid yellow wire with a yellow 'hermaphrodite' type connector on it, plugged in or not.

Any ideas?
delta9007
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience, the yellow wire on a car stereo is usually the constant hot, for the clock and station memory, so if you have a test-light or meter you could check that. Or simply unplug it and see if the stereo loses it's mind.
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

delta9007 wrote:
In my experience, the yellow wire on a car stereo is usually the constant hot, for the clock and station memory, so if you have a test-light or meter you could check that. Or simply unplug it and see if the stereo loses it's mind.

That's true for the stereo, yellow wire to battery and red wire to a switched power source. For Vanagon ignition switches without an ACC position the red wire goes to the ON position. However I'm not sure if the Vanagon fuse panel is wired for a yellow wire to the radio. I don't have my Bentley at hand, but I know the radio wiring is near the end of the wiring section and the color of the unswitched power to the radio will be indicated. The Bentley and the Owner's Manual will also have the fuse position for the radio.

Aloha
tp
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kduvey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may be a dumb question, but where does one learn how to read the wiring diagrams in the Bentley? I'm finding very hard to be able to use the Bentley at all, and I was a part electrical engineering major for a couple years back in college!
Da TOW'D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

check out
Ross-Tech Forum How To's and Tips

http://forums.ross-tech.com/showthread.php?2496-How-to-read-wiring-diagrams-the-video-(draft)
very helpful

cheers
Hank
'92 Eurovan Willy DD
and NUTS
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
geodude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a grey-white wire in late models that ran from under the cluster to the black box in the engine bay that is not used. It was originally for a check engine light, but that was never implemented by VW. Handy wire to use for oil pressure gauge, check engine light, etc.
kduvey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

geodude wrote:
There is a grey-white wire in late models that ran from under the cluster to the black box in the engine bay that is not used. It was originally for a check engine light, but that was never implemented by VW. Handy wire to use for oil pressure gauge, check engine light, etc.

Awesome! Thanks for the tip. I've been contemplating how to run a kill switch and I think you just gave me an idea...
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Da TOW'D wrote:
check out
Ross-Tech Forum How To's and Tips

http://forums.ross-tech.com/showthread.php?2496-How-to-read-wiring-diagrams-the-video-(draft)
very helpful

cheers
Hank

another source:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiring/Un...l_2003.pdf

and the Bentley:

The Bentley doesn't have a "how to read tutorial", but it does have the complete Vanagon systems. It is a bit of a job to find out which pages are applicable to your vehicle. If you work at it, with enough time and rereading, it will, little by little, start to make some sense.

Aloha
tp
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: