Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Digijet wiring harness rebuild
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
JPrato
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

t3 kopf wrote:
Heres a list of the connectors and such sourced from digikey, used for the digijet harness,.....

A106202-ND Fuel injector connector housings
A105234-ND Fuel injector connector boots
A107135CT-ND 15-20 AWG crimp terminals (for ecu connector, injectors, etc)
A27935CT-ND 14-18 AWG locking female terminals (female spades)
A100857CT-ND 10-12 AWG locking female terminals (larger gauge female spades for splicing in the relay box)
A279922CT-ND 14-18 AWG locking male terminals (male spades for the relay box)

Thanks for posting the part numbers! The last one has an extra "9" in it. It should be A27922CT-ND

87 Syncro Tin Top project
84 Westy, 2.5L Subaru power
06 Subaru 2.5 turbo in waiting
46 Cessna 140
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
t3 kopf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JPrato wrote:
t3 kopf wrote:
Heres a list of the connectors and such sourced from digikey, used for the digijet harness,.....

A106202-ND Fuel injector connector housings
A105234-ND Fuel injector connector boots
A107135CT-ND 15-20 AWG crimp terminals (for ecu connector, injectors, etc)
A27935CT-ND 14-18 AWG locking female terminals (female spades)
A100857CT-ND 10-12 AWG locking female terminals (larger gauge female spades for splicing in the relay box)
A279922CT-ND 14-18 AWG locking male terminals (male spades for the relay box)

Thanks for posting the part numbers! The last one has an extra "9" in it. It should be A27922CT-ND

good catch.....fixed!
t3 kopf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

geo_tonz wrote:
t3 kopf wrote:
are you talking about the connector to the hall generator on the side of the distributor? digijet or digifant (although i think they're the same one) if so, thats a different connector from the injectors but van cafe sells a pigtail. otherwise, the pins are the same as what goes in the ecu connector, temp 2, aux air, etc

Yes 2.1 Digifant Hall Sender Plug. Van Cafe's is $75...An equivalent from Digi-Key (If it exists) would be significantly cheaper I imagine if I could figure out an equivalent connector. Thanks anyway.
Nice work!

It turns out the hall connector part number is AMP 926076-1. It is obsolete by te connectivity, there are no reported vendors and is pending a new part which is AMP 926076-2 but isnt being made yet. The same is used for digijet and digifant. All originally came with the wire clip but most have broken and arent used anymore. I have always used mine with no clip. You could also find the connector on some rabbits, cabriolets and older golf headlight plugs and some saab models. The vans i looked at all were missing the clip. The boot part number is 281 919 141 A. The flat connector with no boot can be found still from vw classic parts in UK for about 2 euros. It is vw part number 211 905 327. The best you could do i would say is scour the pick and pull junk yards for rabbits and cabriolets to find one with an intact clip and use the digikey new pins to rebuild them. Since nearly every one i have come across has the wire sheathing cracked at the boot, its a good idea to stock up on these if you wanna continue to use your OE digifant. Either way, there are still better options than paying 75 dollars for a pigtail when you can just repin yours for 10 dollars in wires and connectors. I have 4 of them still usable (one of which in use) and Im probably not gonna get rid of them because i wanna keep my digijet for any future vehicle endeavors Wink . A few hours of googling might bring you some luck somewhere. good luck.
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

great build and neat link to the Bay forum. Super useful. Thanks.

re: pics of your old harness,

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7...ps#7568730

Did you open up any of the old harness further up the wires? I'm curious if there's any failure (or pending failure) points at wires under discoloured sections of OEM loom or how far corrosion typically had crept up any of the wires.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
t3 kopf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The OE wires were fine under the loom, even at the discolored areas. The corroded points were at the connectors. Especially at the relay box, the temp 2 connector, the injectors, grounds, aux air connector and idle switch. At the injectors on the #1 and #2 side and the temp 2 connector, the wires are exposed to the heat originally. There were some burnt areas there causing an extra 2-3 ohms of resistance on a continuity test. it was far enough up the wires that splicing in a new connector alone wouldnt do. That burnt looking section of loom on the right side of the picture was only in the loom itself.
It seems that the factory didnt do a great job of crimping a lot of these connectors. There are a lot of them that have exposed strands at the crimp which lets in moisture for sure.
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks t3 kopf. That's helpful to know.

I recall a post here about a 2.1 harness intermittent failure. IIRC, the issue was at a tight turn in harness, but was curious to know if something like a burn mark might indicate where one could wiggle, twist, etc., a harness for an intermittent connection.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
tclark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

where you might get the low down on all hard to find parts is
kyle
http://kyleautomotivespecialties.com/home

he does brand new 1.9/2.1 harness
t3 kopf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, and i'm sure he does an amazing job, however nearly all the parts are reused. For less than a hundred i've basically done the same thing for myself.
t3 kopf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a nice day out here, finally finished up most everything else on the van and pulled it out of the garage. The wiring harness works great and the van is running just fine. I did a coolant bleed and set the timing. Still need to hook up the stereo. Ill take it for a shakedown run this week when i get time.
So now i have 1 new harness in the van,1 new backup, one used harness ready to rebuild and 1 more in the mail to wait behind that one. I may modify my next two to put the ecu under the seat like a digifant van. Might also incorporate the tailight and temp and oil pressure sender harnesses to make it all one clean harness. Lots of possibilities here.
GreenMachineVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

t3 kopf wrote:
True, and i'm sure he does an amazing job, however nearly all the parts are reused. For less than a hundred i've basically done the same thing for myself.

That's odd: on my 1983 Federal Air-Cooled harness that I got from Kyle, only the ECU and double relay connector were reconditioned, and the ECU looked new, the double relay slightly yellowed. I cannot speak to the quality of your work, but Kyle's harness was truly impressive, and I have spliced a wire or two myself ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=605990&highlight=
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
t3 kopf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

May be a different story with an AC harness. His response to my inquiry about his digijet harness was 5 weeks to rebuild mine for nearly 600 dollars and he reuses everything but the injector connectors. I'm sure hes better than i am and he should be because mine aren't being sold to people. Digijet harnesses are a lot different than l-jet harnesses.
atomatom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

t3 kopf; would you consider selling a DIY kit that contains all the connectors? i'd love to buy one; the main issue with ordering these connectors is the shipping can end up as expensive as the parts if you don't order many, and/or order the wrong part, so more shipping/delay.

maybe it makes sense to sell the wire too? i'm not sure. if you had enough people buying kits you could have different colours for each signal.
t3 kopf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be kinda cool, but then i would just have to order all the parts and i would have to add more to the cost to make any money, so it would be more economical for people to just use the part numbers i included in this thread. I would feel like i was ripping people off if i just ordered parts and then resold them. If they were to put this thread in the FAQ it would help. I know theres already one with the part numbers in there, but these part numbers are updated and are a lot less expensive.
atomatom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i totally appreciate your attitude to not ripping people off - and in sharing. but i'd happily pay some mark-up to save me the chance of making a mistake in ordering the wrong parts. and you could probably even get a better rate from digikey if you buy in larger quantities.

the bigger hassle, perhaps, is that once people pay money, they expect support. like i did all this wiring, and it doesn't work. help. this kit would not be as simple to install as some other kits. so, i can see that being a pain.

in my mind, the wiring is as critical as the fuel lines not only for running well, but also for fires. although it gets a bit of noise, it doesn't get enough attention.

i'll try making the shopping list on digikey, but you see, it'll probably take me at least an hour or so to go through that, double checking the thread to see if i got all the parts i need. if not, then an extra order, 2x shipping, etc, more checking, time, and so on.

i really have no problem buying kits from samba guys who share their knowledge. i'm happier when i can do that and the markup goes to the person who did the r&d rather than a vendor. maybe i should offer them, and send you commission? Smile
atomatom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, so i went to do this. easy enough, but, how many of each! Smile

t3 kopf and edited by me to add qty wrote:

1) 4 A106202-ND Fuel injector connector housings
2) 4 A105234-ND Fuel injector connector boots
3) 16 + 2 just in case A107135CT-ND 15-20 AWG crimp terminals (for ecu connector, injectors, etc)
4) no idea? A27935CT-ND 14-18 AWG locking female terminals (female spades)
5) no idea?A100857CT-ND 10-12 AWG locking female terminals (larger gauge female spades for splicing in the relay box)
6) no idea? same as 4? A27922CT-ND 14-18 AWG locking male terminals (male spades for the relay box)

i could just order a bunch for 4-6 and hope i get it right. 25 is probably too many, but $5.

did you source the wire and heatshrink from digikey as well?
atomatom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

here is a cart link to add all those parts in one easy click: http://www.digikey.ca/short/71zbf5

what i'd also like is a decent choice of wire to go with it, and perhaps some shrink wrap. tons of options. if money was no object, i'd go for the 500oC wire, but $$$. high temperature wire makes sense though. looking at hookup wire, not clear which is best. will update as i figure this out. Smile
atomatom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think this is the best fit for wire. but that is just a guess: http://www.digikey.ca/product-detail/en/751816%20VI005/751816%20VI005-ND/3716095

wire is tricky; prices are all over the place. this is $40 for 100ft. violet.

Code:
Product Photos   HOOK-UP STRANDED VIOLET
Product Training Modules   Basics of Wire and Cable
Standard Package ?    1
Category   Cables, Wires
Family   Single Conductor Cables (Hook Up Wire)
Series   751816
Cable Type   Hook Up
Wire Gauge   18 AWG
Conductor Strand   16/30
Conductor Material   Copper, Tinned
Jacket (Insulation) Material   Polyethylene (XLPE), Irradiated
Jacket (Insulation) Diameter   0.109" (2.77mm)
Jacket (Insulation) Thickness   0.031" (0.80mm)
Length   100' (30.5m)
Voltage   600V
Operating Temperature   -40°C ~ 125°C
Jacket Color   Violet
Ratings   UL Style 3173

t3 kopf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got all my wire, heat shrink and other consumables from my local electronics shop. Good call on the shopping cart link.
As far as the kit, I've still got some other things to do before I can start ordering bulk parts, but it is a possibility of course. I still have another harness to do.
The problem is that I just saved up enough for kennedy engineering's basic ej22 conversion kit and i'm gonna pull the trigger. I'm gonna use my current engine and all my digijet stuff after that on whatever my next project may be. Probably a bay or a ghia.
With all that and the fact that I work 50-60 hours a week, itll be at least a year before I could do something like sell harness kits.
Lulu1984
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Digijet wiring harness rebuild Reply with quote

Hi there. My 1984 westfalia is running rich and won't pass smog. Everything is new except wiring harness, ecu and distributor. I need some help please. Can someone tell me the difference between the 2 ECU part numbers:
Digijet
025 905 021
025 905 021c
My van currently has the top part number in it; I am wondering if the previous owner may have swapped out the original ECU with a non california version. Any thoughts?
Amyrickvermont
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Digijet wiring harness rebuild Reply with quote

Although there are many other harness threads in here, I found this one the most helpful for my 1980 van. Thanks all for your input. Much appreciated.
In summary, if you have the money for the pre-made harness, go for it. I immensely enjoyed this project, saved about half (even after buying a nice crimping tool and strippers), and learned a lot about the digijet.
After a bunch of frustrating gremlins, I discovered that my harness probably was causing the unpredictable stalls, intermittent skips on #3 and #4, starting issues in the cold, etc.
I ordered the connectors through digikey, using the link at the beginning of this thread. My updated cart is here; https://www.digikey.com/short/47mf4f
The rubber boots for the injectors are available through digikey. I like these better than the silicon plugs for the connectors. They look original, and serve as a strain relief on the injector wires.
There are a couple spare connectors in the order, I recommending having a couple in case you goof them up, as I did. I ordered extra, which will find many uses under the dash and for other wiring.
I found a vendor on ebay that sold me 10' lengths of multi-colored and mult-striped wire in the same gauges that Kyle uses. I researched wire, and like the GXL wire, which has a high temperature rating and a thinner insulation than other automotive wire. I chose this over silicon wire, as it turned out
to have a good amount of stiffness to rout the harness without . I ordered a roll of brown for grounds. It took about 18'. I probably have enough wire left over to create another harness, although the colors will not be the same as this list.
I used a kit of flexible nylon loom rather than heat shrink tubing. Ebay again.
I added about 6" to all the wires coming out of the ECU to make the routing smoother and take the pressure off the plug. This was important, as my old harness rubbed on the airbox and it was a stretch to snap in my injector wires.
I re-used my ECU plug, as it was in good shape.
The Injector connectors are the same as the cold start and idle control connectors, and although I re-used some of my good connectors, I would order new next time.
I opted for masking tape rather than wire labels, but I would get the labels next time.
I built the new harness next to the old, which was necessary because some of the wire labels were mangled.
I started at the ECU, and was able to group wires and cover with loom as I moved away toward the double relay.
In the middle of the project, I decided many of my problems could have been caused by the grounds from this harness. I used insulated connectors here, rather than the OEM crimps.
At the end of the project, I had multiple fused and broken wires, as well as partially broken wires.
I tested all connectors for conductivity prior to installing. I didn't find and problems.
The new connectors installed with a resounding snap. It started right away, even in the cold, and idled properly. It has literally never run better. I think this rates up there with "replace your fuel lines".

Wires up to and including #34 start from the ECU. The rest of the wires start at the relay/resistor an work their way back.
You can use any color combination, but I included mine here based on what wire colors I was sent when I ordered through ebay. One kit was solid colors, one was striped wire. I copied this description from Kyle's site, without permission. Again, I recommend his harness to the vast majority of people. It took me about 7 hours of wiring time, and considerable time in planning and ordering.
WIRE # AWG Description
1 18 IGN Coil GREEN
3 18 Throttle Valve Switch BLACK
4 18 Double Relay 7 Crank signal GY/YE
5 16 Ground BROWN
6 18 Intake Air Sensor 5 Ref Ground BROWN
7 18 Intake Air Sensor 2 Constant GY/RD
8 18 Intake Air Sensor 3 Signal PK/OR
9 18 Intake Air Sensor 4 BK/YE
10 18 Double relay 8 ign power RD/BK
13 18 Temp Sensor LB/WH
14 16 Fuel Injector 1 (2) WH/GY
15 16 Fuel Injector #4 (2) WH/BK
16 16 Ground BROWN
17 16 Ground BROWN
18 18 Throttle Valve Switch YELLOW
20 18 Double relay 1 FP Signal PURPLE
27 18 Intake Air Sensor ORANGE
32 16 Fuel Injector #2 (2) BL/OR
33 16 Fuel Injector #3 (2) WH/RD
34 18 Aux Air Valve 2 WHITE
36 18 Double Relay 1 Intake Air Sensor 6 GR/YE
37 18 Double Relay 2 Aux. Air Valve 1 RD/OR
39 18 Double Relay 4 Intake Air Sensor 7 BK/GR
43 14 Double Relay 8 FI resistor 2 RED 14
45 18 Thermo-time Switch 1 Cold Start Valve 2 BL/GY
46 18 Double Relay 7 Cold Start Valve 1 GRAY
47 16 FI Resistor 3 Fuel Injector #3 (1) BK/BL
48 16 FI Resistor 6 Fuel Injector #4(1) BK/GN
49 16 FI Resistor 1 Fuel Injector #2 (1) GY/BK
50 18 Cold Start Valve 1 Thermo Time Switch 2 BL/GY
51 16 FI Resistor 4 Fuel Injector #1 (1) BL/PK
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: