Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What's my totalled van worth?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
moondoggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:25 pm    Post subject: What's my totalled van worth? Reply with quote

HI All, Unfortunately my wife had a bit of a run in with an Audi a couple of weeks ago and the insurance company has declared it a total loss. They've offered us $9500 (after $1000 deductible) if the keep the van or $8500 and we keep it. I think the van is worth much more than the $1000 salvage they're offering so think I should keep it and sell it. I don't have the time, energy or money to fix it and don't have the space to part it out so, my question: what's it worth to sell as is? I'll try to be as descriptive as possible.

1987 westy automatic
211,000 miles
engine rebuilt 40,000 miles ago (I have receipts).
Engine and transmission have their quirks but are running well
Van Cafe 15 inch rims and tires package
truck fridge, spare battery in cabinet to the left of the rear seat,

But, as you can tell the front is quite caved in- to the point that it's pushed up against the shifter and it is hard to shift (though does shift and drive. There is some seam rust on the back passenger side.

Please see photos. I can answer specific questions but I think I've covered the main topics here.

Thanks for looking.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who's your insurance with?

Mine was totaled in 2006 and Farmers valued it at $16,500. I forgot what the payout was after deductible, but that's what it was valued at.

The original offer was much lower but I insisted on an independent appraisal that we both agreed to adhere to. You may want to go that route. I think they pain the appraisal too.

I kept mine and parted it out. Probably made three grand when all said and done. I don't know it was worth the time and effort though, but there were many items I wanted to salvage for myself.
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couple thoughts.

1. Do you want it to be totaled? What was the estimate to repair it, are you close to hitting that?
2. The engine rebuild would be added to the appraisal value and other receipts you may have. So if you don't want it totaled just keep talking to them and getting the value increased.
3. Some of the vanagon specific shops could fix that using a used front end and door for a reasonable amount. So again depends if you want it fixed, or just want out.
4. Don't get combative with the insurance agent, they will try to make you happy if you just keep talking and explaining your side of it. Mention the word lawyer and you'll get instant cold shoulder and have to work it out the hard way. Don't agree to anything without thinking about it a iittle bit.

Depending on who did the engine rebuild that is worth something. And the Westy Interior is worth more. Definitely if you can get it back for $1K it is a no brainer. Can't see the interior pics, but probably $4K with the extras you have for the camper/interior stuff and another $1K for the engine. Wheels and other miscellaneous stuff $1K. So I imagine you could probably get $5-6K for the van as a parts van in California. $4K for a quick sale.
DAV!D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd certainly keep it for the $1k difference, that's a no brainier. You have grey westy interior, I assume a pop top as well. Those rims/tires not to mention the drive train. You can get way more than $1k parting that van out or better yet buying another van which needs a bit of work and fixing it up with your parts.
beteljuze
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 88 Westy was hit on the driver's side, very similiar to your Vanagon. The engine ran fine, but it couldn't be driven because the steering column and pedal cluster were crushed against the firewall. I listed it on here ( thesamba) and sold it for $3000. A guy came with a trailer and took it.It was overall in worse shape than yours and the engine had like 250k miles on it.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What did the Audi look like?
GWTWTLW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+ 1 on the independent appraisal. That made a huge difference when my adventurewagen was totaled.
Syncrozilla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your willing to do the work there's at least 5K in parts right there. It is time consuming though to deal with parting out a van. The camper interior is worth 1000-1500 depending on condition. The roof clip is worth 1800-2200. Then there's the engine, trans, suspension, doors, front seats & swivels, instrument cluster etc etc. Sorry for your loss but still lots of value even if you don't fix. Looks like a front clip is needed to repair the car. I'd guess 12K or more to repair properly.
wedv907
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i paid a little over 3k for a 87 westy that was hit in nose like yours ,possibly a little worse as it favored the drivers side.i bought a nose from junkyard for 500 and put the many hours in to fit it.i don't regret doing it and i am sure there is somebody out there willing to take on your project. the person i bought mine from was happier to see it go to someone who was going to fix it rather than take the time to sell the individual parts and make more money.hope this helps.jeff
Dampcamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:44 pm    Post subject: A good read on this subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, here is one Vanagon owner's narrative. He did well and there is a lot of information in his story. It was useful when I had to negotiate with an insurance company to get my van repaired after their insured hit it.
http://gerry.vanagon.com/files/auto-insurance-madness.html
Good luck, remember that they prey on people who are in a bind for the money and will accept an early (lower) offer. If you are not in a hurry to settle you are already one up on the insurance company.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The obvious answer is watch the classifieds for a rust free but engineless roller. $1500 to 2000 dollars and a long weekend and your back in bus-ness.
Jeff's Old Volks Home
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've fixed way worse than that for people not as nice as you. The trick of course is have an appraisal done before the need for a claim.
1990 Vanagon weekender Syncro AAZ
1987 Syncro Doka AAZ...soon to be TDI Smile
2014 DL650ABS Xpedition
1986 Weekender Syncro (Under construction)
1987 Westfalia (Under construction)
1987 Syncro Single cab
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just let me know which Pick-A-Part you send it to! Very Happy
delta9007
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How is your wife doing? I hope she came through that with nothing more than bruises?
I hate how insurance companies get away with the "you can buy the vehicle you already own back from us" crap. They owe the value of the repairs or fair market value of the vehicle, whichever is less.
If you're unable/unwilling to fix or part it out, let it go to someone in this community who is. It'll make one, or maybe twenty of us happy. And as Martha says, "That's a good thing" Very Happy Very Happy
BavarianWrench
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are only at round one with the insurance company. I was too busy at work to do the battle and needed a car. My van was getting an engine swapped at eht time. I took the offer, a few grand short of market, but a long way from being able to replace what I had. My car was was well tailored to me. My neck is still not the same. First, and most important, is your wife doing well? Second, as you know, because I'm sure you have a million PMs with offers, your van is worth some money. Get the independent appraisal. Make them stick to the buy back value and revisit your options. Best case you get your van fixed. You and the wife then feel ok camping in the van, in a few weeks. I just gave away a nose for a van, rough one, and for an air cooled. I might have another one here in a few weeks if I part this Syncro. I say keep the van. Have a body guy make a pull or two on it so the doors work, slap a headlight in, and buy a bra. PM if you are going to sell it. I would love to buy it and not part the Syncro. I would make the Syncro a Westy. I know I'll get in line for the grey interior. All the best to you.
moondoggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everybody for the quick and very helpful replies. First, yes my wife is fine thanks for asking. Second, the audi took a pretty good beating but all passengers there fine as well.

This is actually the third round with the insurance company and which started at a startling $6500. I actually sent them several links to vans for sale on the Samba and the Go Westy website for comparisons (which for some reason they were having trouble finding...) the final came through yesterday at about $10,500 if they take it away and about $1200 less for us to keep it.

Unfortunately, at this point in my life (and for a variety of personal reasons I won't bore you with) I don't have the time, money or space to do much with this. Not to mention I need a car to drive now. I would actually love to spend the next couple of weeks/months fixing her up and getting her back on the road but it's just not in the cards now.

Fear not Samba-ites I will be back. We've owned ours for about 6 years now and have enjoyed every minute we have spent in it.
raoul mitgong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand you not having time to fix it but at least buy it back for the 1200 and sell it here for $2000 (or more depending on your time). That could make someone here very happy. I'd buy it if you were in Colorado.
-d
91 Westy (Only the top 12 inches of this van (a burn victim))
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

raoul mitgong wrote:
I understand you not having time to fix it but at least buy it back for the 1200 and sell it here for $2000 (or more depending on your time). That could make someone here very happy. I'd buy it if you were in Colorado.
-d

I think this is a sensible approach -you stated pretty clearly about not wanting to fix it - so buy it back for $1,000 - sell it for $2K (or a bit more perhaps?), puts an extra 1K in your pocket.

It would be nice to see it back on the road as opposed to parts hound stripping it - but even that's keeps other vans on the road.
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
j_dirge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man.. what a bummer....

You will get more than $1200 for it here in the Bay Area.
Several guys would be happy to get thier hands on it.. and the parts will eventually find good homes on others' Westys.

Consider it an organ donor... and help other Westys live longer.

No one is making a fortune doing this.. but I think its good for the Vanagon-world to pass it along to someone who has space and has the where-with-all to do the parting out.

If the insurer takes it.. it may find its way to a crusher well before much the good stuff is removed.... and MANY good parts will be lost.

-57 pan f/g buggy with a 67 pancake Type 3 "S"
"Jimi Hendrix owned one. Richard Nixon did not"
-Grand Tour, Season 1, episodes 4 and 5

danfromsyr wrote:
those are straight line runs with light weight race cars for only 1/4mile at a time..
not pushing a loaded brick up a mountain pass with a family of 4+ inside expecting to have an event free vacation..
newfisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having worked on both sides of the industry and currently managing a successfull body shop at a GM Dealership while running $1.5 mil annually of RV work through it, I have some experience with most all insurance companies, including one of the largest ones I previously worked for and can tell you that there is good info here.

The best advise:

Make sure you and your wife are ok, get checked out.

Ask for a field appraisle and meet the adjuster. They will be low, its what they are trained and paid to do. Have it appraised by a 3rd party. Collect as many comparable vehicles classifieds as you can and give them to the adjuster to support your findings. Yes, you are doing thier job for you. The mechanical records are useless, its maintenence and a new engine is still an engine....it has to have one anyway is how they look at it. Keep good notes and let them know you are making notes of the conversations. Ask them to spell thier first and last name evrytime you talk to them. Ask them for thier supervisors number in case you need to contact them. Dont be rude, sugar goes further than salt, but keep a little pressure on them to keep your file on top of the stack, not under it.

If the other party has claimed responsibility, have their insurance company put you in a rental car even if you do not need on. The daily expense will get things moving along quickly.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: